Unpopular Rig-pinions

ghosty999":9i8ijx1k said:
Also the psychology that "Dime didn't give a fuck so you shouldn't either?" Yeah that's really "bad ass" and "edgy" but does it improve his tone for my ears? Nope.
If this is in reference to my words, you misinterpreted entirely. I said he didn't give a fuck and I can respect that. It ain't my business to tell you how to feel about it. I hate when other people try to tell me how to feel about something, so I don't do it myself.

And his tone was shit. I still enjoy his tunes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't come here to suck anyone's dick or anything but I have to say that I think Dimebag's chainsaw SS tone was fucking awesome! It matched not only his riffage but also the vibe and tone of the band. The drums always sounded like click tracks but the guitar was monstrous. A lot of that had to do with the Furman and other sonic enhancers he used but it was thick and cutting (on the albums anyway - insert "studio magic") . Great for squealies too! Although there was a bit of a stint with Krank at the end, for his fast tight style, I always thought the SS was better. His playing would be unaffected regardless of what he played through but I don't buy the cork sniffing on this one.

For the record I am an 80's hair band lover so it is Marshall and a boost for me everytime but in the rare exception where SS sounded great, he was one of them. Can hurt the ears and fart out a little at volume but that's what the PA is for. As for your other points, 100% agree. Tons of great gear around, no results. Through a crappy mixer at a gig with 50 people, I would go straight up everything on the floor through a modeler. Hell, even double SD-1 alla Savatage and straight out the mixer to the front of the house. Who cares!

Since we're focused on Dime...I had one of those old SS Randall's back in the day because I was chasing early Lynch tone. And actually, it was great for it, really loved that amp even though I was overall a Marshall guy.

I was a Pantera fan as well when they hit big, and when I read he was using the SS Randall I assumed it was a little more about what he wanted versus just "bad tone". I also used my Randall for a lot of Metallica stuff and thrash in general, and it did a pretty decent job there too, so I don't think it was a particularly bad amp for heavier tones. But Dime just had his own thing dialed in. And I can't imagine re-listening to Pantera any different way.

Yeah, in all reality those randall amps sound great. Dime used some para-eqs to suck out mids and some other shit to get that buzzsaw thing going on. I think there's plenty of folks that think all solid state amps are buzzbombs, but those randalls, the peavey transtube amps, marshall's valvestates and some others are actually really good amps. Some of my favorite recordings of mine over the years are a little transtube studio pro combo. It's easy to make it sound like shit, but just as easy to dial in a killer 80s thrash tone.

My unpopular rig-pinion is the popular "6-6-6" settings for 5150's suck. Pure honk in the mids that way.

nightflameauto":uwdkj4t3 said:
Yeah, in all reality those randall amps sound great. Dime used some para-eqs to suck out mids and some other shit to get that buzzsaw thing going on. I think there's plenty of folks that think all solid state amps are buzzbombs, but those randalls, the peavey transtube amps, marshall's valvestates and some others are actually really good amps. Some of my favorite recordings of mine over the years are a little transtube studio pro combo. It's easy to make it sound like shit, but just as easy to dial in a killer 80s thrash tone.
Agreed.

I have a Vypyr 60 combo - which is a tube powered Transtube derivative. Killer little amp.

I also played a "DIME 100" head at GC once was pretty impressed. I think it was a Randall.

Rex Rocker":gvuvy5cx said:
My unpopular rig-pinion is the popular "6-6-6" settings for 5150's suck. Pure honk in the mids that way.
I find fiddys to be best with the mids knob essentially broken off all the way down. Two reasons:
1. It pisses off other guitarists just to see an amp set that way. And anger builds character.
2. The amp still has plenty of mids as the mids knob just as well be labeled the honk knob.

OK, truthfully, I may leave it on 1-2. But only if I can push it into a cab loaded with anything other than V30s.

:LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• controversial.jpg
    controversial.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,967
I don't think tone and gear mean a goddamn thing outside of our own satisfaction in the practice room, because it gets wildly transformed at a gig and at a studio. Your 4k Herbert or BE100 doesn't sound that much different than a DSL100 or 5150 after the soundguy gets his hands involved.

Spaceboy":3l9zsxv7 said:
I don't think tone and gear mean a goddamn thing outside of our own satisfaction in the practice room, because it gets wildly transformed at a gig and at a studio. Your 4k Herbert or BE100 doesn't sound that much different than a DSL100 or 5150 after the soundguy gets his hands involved.

Yup. And 98.5% of the audience don't give a fuck anyway.

Spaceboy":19r4jo2z said:
Except it does when it comes to the feel of the amp when playing it as well. Also you can get a great Jose style amp from Ceriatone with great prices and it will mop the floor with DSLs.

No one ever sounded anything other than smoothed out through a PRS
PRS are popular with high earners and sit in their front room next to a flame maple wicker fronted combo
Best place for them
They are built like high-end furniture and have none of the character the imperfections of the Gibsons they dream about being as they sleep unused on their stands by the exposed valve concrete base hi-fi
PRS are about as Rock ‘n’ Roll as Adam Lambert

Apart from that, I love ‘em

ghosty999":3rr9sb39 said:
phil b":3rr9sb39 said:
or same guys that try and play melodic and have no sense of phrasing

That hit hard :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: that sums me up as a player!

Aww man.. lemme clarify, Doesnt matter if guys can play or not and post clips.. Fun is fun and some guys have good tone regardless...Plus we are all learning and hopefully trying to get better every day.
What I am talking about is the guys who wont use this or that cause its not "up to my standards" and then you hear them play and go SERIOUSLY?? :LOL: :LOL:

EDIT: Removed my bourbon infused unpopular opinions...haha.

These are all pretty good though. I don't recall much defending or looking for Dimes tone for the last 7 or 8 years or so though?

Spaceboy":3n6d30a1 said:

Exactly... 4k Herbert or BE100... but into a battered SM58 (cus the sound guy ran out of 57s) then run through a PA with poorly done EQ, out through some cheap Class-Z power amps, into blown and battered monitors to the audience. Does anyone think the audience can really hear all the nuances in your valve setup. :LOL: :LOL:

phil b":3o9asfde said:
ghosty999":3o9asfde said:
phil b":3o9asfde said:
or same guys that try and play melodic and have no sense of phrasing

That hit hard :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: that sums me up as a player!

Aww man.. lemme clarify, Doesnt matter if guys can play or not and post clips.. Fun is fun and some guys have good tone regardless...Plus we are all learning and hopefully trying to get better every day.
What I am talking about is the guys who wont use this or that cause its not "up to my standards" and then you hear them play and go SERIOUSLY?? :LOL: :LOL:

Haha no worries dude, was more self criticism as I've always struggled with phrasing, my chops are below:

Sick Squid":2c2xytxq said:
No one ever sounded anything other than smoothed out through a PRS
PRS are popular with high earners and sit in their front room next to a flame maple wicker fronted combo
Best place for them
They are built like high-end furniture and have none of the character the imperfections of the Gibsons they dream about being as they sleep unused on their stands by the exposed valve concrete base hi-fi
PRS are about as Rock ‘n’ Roll as Adam Lambert

Apart from that, I love ‘em

I agree.

Beautiful, well crafted, dull sounding instruments

Back