VHT 2150 vs Strategy 400

Why in the hell would you need 400 watts:yes::thumbsup:
Why does anyone need any great gear? It’s for that efficient type sound that amps with less power can’t do. Kinda like if me or a pro bodybuilder were benching in the 200’s. Sure both of us can technically do it, but for the bodybuilder it wouldn’t even be a warm up. For me I’d struggle. More efficiency and you hear it in the sound of higher wattage stuff with the trade off of other tonal advantages in lower powered amps

Last edited:
So, I’ve had the S400. It is a monster power amp that can be run with 1 row of EL34s or all 6L6. It does color your tone. Metallica used them and never switched to the 500; that might say something.
But, I think the king of the power amps goes to the 2150. I have not played one but guys that have had both say the 2150 just has something extra that takes their rack tone to another level. More 3D, harmonics etc whatever descriptions apply

So, I’ve had the S400. It is a monster power amp that can be run with 1 row of EL34s or all 6L6. It does color your tone. Metallica used them and never switched to the 500; that might say something.
But, I think the king of the power amps goes to the 2150. I have not played one but guys that have had both say the 2150 just has something extra that takes their rack tone to another level. More 3D, harmonics etc whatever descriptions apply
When I get it back from my tech I’ll compare. Keeping both, but from what I remember I think I liked the Langner Brutus Poweramp even more. It’s just mono though (4 6550’s/KT88’s). Seemed like what a beefier Soldano SLO rack Poweramp may have been like if such a thing were ever made

I should also say that to me the Langner would have the advantage I think in 3D or harmonics, while the 2150 I think would be more tight, precise, clear, modern. Will be able to say better when I have them side by side

That is not a comparison Phil...
Well it kind of is. Obviously it all comes down to personal preference, and what tones your after. IMO the 400 just always sounded better paired with the Quad, 2c, and Mkiii. I never tried the 400 with my Mark IV so I cant comment on how that sounded. OP mentioned Metallica and that right there is 400 more than the 2150. :)

To directly reply to the op then there really is no topic, it is the S400 bc Metallica used it. To ask the rest of us we would need a side by side to settle it.
Well Metallica uses Fractal and they sound like shit with them! LOL. To the OP I say if you like that Metallica sound you will get closer to that sound sound with the 400 than you will with the VHT. To say one will sound better is a matter of opinion as they both are iconic amps but have different flavors. Good luck!

Well Metallica uses Fractal and they sound like shit with them! LOL. To the OP I say if you like that Metallica sound you will get closer to that sound sound with the 400 than you will with the VHT. To say one will sound better is a matter of opinion as they both are iconic amps but have different flavors. Good luck!
I agree the S400 will sound more like Metallica, but I'd still prefer the sound of slaving my Boogies through VHT2150 even if I was playing Metallica riffs, but would probably just slave them through one of my coli heads ultimately for that stuff. Yes sadly they used Fractal when I saw them too many years ago now

Back