What about the Orange OR60?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simon Dorn
  • Start date Start date
I've been really interested in this amp since they came out but yet to see one out in the wild, and there's not a lot of clips out there besides the ones that came out around the release.
 
Still that typical slightly fuzzy gained out sound they have. I’ll be sold when they actually recreate that 70’s bark in the midrange without the sludge. When you would turn them up about halfway to 2’O’clock before it doomed out.
 
I had an OR-15 years ago. It was a pretty killer amp with a boost. Had a vintage vibe and nailed those Ghost tones.

This one sounds much bigger and grittier. Sounds pretty good. Versatile.
 
Looks sick. Is it just a higher wattage OR30? Those are super loud for 30 watts.
Orange is super cool for how often they come up with new amps.
They need to reissue the Dual Dark.
I think they added Presence and Depth. Don't know what the "Fist-Knob" does.
(Others might chime in with at least one sexual-comment, or two. Two is even better.)
 
OR landed today. Got about two hours with it and it kills, I absolutely fucking love it.
It’s got all the growl, bark and kerrang of a Marshall, with slightly lower mids, more girth/lows and saturation, and a hint of that filthy signature Orange fizz/fuzz that you’ll either love or hate.
It actually sits between a 2203/04 and Recto orange channel, with a heavier lean toward the Marshall imo, like a British Recto or a USA Marshall. 😂
It’ll excel at anything you throw at it. Straight in with low/mid gain it’ll do AC/DC all day, dime the gain you’ve got Doom, boost it, tight thrash tone, and all convincingly. The higher the gain, the thicker and more saturated it gets, adding to it’s versatility.
For a 60 watt amp it’s loud af and hits like a truck, with plenty of headroom. The louder you play, the more ferocious it gets with great punch and clarity.
The YT vids all sound great imo, and are a very accurate representation of how it actually sounds, only it’s much better in person of course.
I’ve got some killer Mesas, Marshalls and a Cornford and this amp is as good as anything in the room, brilliant amp.
If you’re considering pulling the trigger based on YT clips, don’t hesitate, it won’t disappoint.
I’ll get some clips up tomorrow.
720CB517-3682-4428-869E-8249645BF1BB.jpeg
 
OR landed today. Got about two hours with it and it kills, I absolutely fucking love it.
It’s got all the growl, bark and kerrang of a Marshall, with slightly lower mids, more girth/lows and saturation, and a hint of that filthy signature Orange fizz/fuzz that you’ll either love or hate.
It actually sits between a 2203/04 and Recto orange channel, with a heavier lean toward the Marshall imo, like a British Recto or a USA Marshall. 😂
It’ll excel at anything you throw at it. Straight in with low/mid gain it’ll do AC/DC all day, dime the gain you’ve got Doom, boost it, tight thrash tone, and all convincingly. The higher the gain, the thicker and more saturated it gets, adding to it’s versatility.
For a 60 watt amp it’s loud af and hits like a truck, with plenty of headroom. The louder you play, the more ferocious it gets with great punch and clarity.
The YT vids all sound great imo, and are a very accurate representation of how it actually sounds, only it’s much better in person of course.
I’ve got some killer Mesas, Marshalls and a Cornford and this amp is as good as anything in the room, brilliant amp.
If you’re considering pulling the trigger based on YT clips, don’t hesitate, it won’t disappoint.
I’ll get some clips up tomorrow.
View attachment 457238
Very nice :) Congrats and thanks ;)
 
I have the Diezel Paul and Hiwatt Super Hi 50 both on the way to audition, return windows on both. If either one goes back, this one's coming in. Love what I'm hearing now that I've heard more demos. It's like the fizz that plagues the modern Oranges is mostly gone, has great mids, tight low end, can doom or thrash on the same setting.
Anything you could post reacting on that HiWatt would be appreciated
 
Ade Emsley said you could also use EL34s.
No bias select switch on the back so your tweaking the bias circuit to get it there and the primary impedance of the transformer won’t be right. It would be similar to converting those 90’s Marshall’s that came with 5881’s.
 
Anything you could post reacting on that HiWatt would be appreciated
 
No bias select switch on the back so your tweaking the bias circuit to get it there and the primary impedance of the transformer won’t be right. It would be similar to converting those 90’s Marshall’s that came with 5881’s.
I'm just quoting the Amp-Designer.
 
I've been using one live for a few months now, it's a killer amp. Gain sweep is super usable, and takes a boost well. I'm going to toss in a set of EL34s and see how I like it, I tend to prefer EL34 based amps. I had been using an OR30 for a year or two and absolutely love that amp as well.
 
Back
Top