What amps have you not had ?

it's just freakin' fantastic. super versatile, and at the same time, I take it to gigs and basically just boost the blue channel all night lol
Hey that’s what I do too! First time I hit the blue channel with a boost it turned into a whole different amp/monster.

I had a MC I with the Marshall style transformer and an MTL II. Both were great. I thought the MTL reminded me of my ultra lead but with more saturation. I miss both of those. Particularly the MC I. But they didn’t get the play time necessary to justify the value.

I have never owned a vh4 or a Larry. I’m on the waitlist for Hermansson so that itch will get scratched soon. Those are the only left on my list. I would still like to buy either so if anyone has either they want to move let me know (fat chance, but I don’t want to play the waiting game and would still pay a premium on the Larry just to get it off my list).

Otherwise I think I’ve hit about everything as far as notable amps. The one I still get the most joy out of is my cheapest amp which is my Landry G3 (that I got used at a steal).

I still own 15 ish amps and got rid of 30 or so over the last few years.
I’m shocked you got rid of MTL2. They are like mike Tyson punchy

I always have lists of all the gear I wanna try by category. For high gain amps the only ones left are a Larry, Hermansson, Rev C Dual Rec and MLC. For non-high gain amps I just gotta try (not buy lol) a real Trainwreck & 4 other Alessandro models (I have 3 Alessandro’s currently). Just a few more pedals and tubes I haven’t tried yet and then there won’t really be anything left to try, just to buy and actually find them for sale (rare stuff). Most who say “I’ve tried them all” haven’t come anywhere near close (I find inaccurate info like that annoying), but if I can try those last few I’ll at least be pretty damn close to it… until I learn about other things later I gotta try (it’s the cycle of it)
Did you try omega yet ?

Did you try omega yet ?
Yeah I’ve tried the Omega Obsidian several times and did my proper homework in AB’ing with my amps (I’ve talked about it on here many times in the past). I found it honestly to be a disappointing, not worthwhile amp for me, but we all have different taste, so maybe you or others may like it. I’ve not tried the Granophyre model, but in the clips I heard many of the same things that made the Obsidian a no for me. There really isn’t that much recent made gear that’s worthwhile IME once you’ve tried the best stuff. YMMV

Did it remind you of another amp in a way
The dryness and lack of good quality mids reminded me somewhat of the Fryette’s, the filtered/flatter sound reminded me of amps I don’t wanna be reminded of lol, idk. It’s actually I think a pretty good amp for something recent made despite my complaints, but for my needs useless, but again you or others may feel completely different. This is just my honest/undiplomatic opinion. The first time I played the amp I had it next to my iic+ and Cameron modded Marshall I had at the time, so the AB was like taking candy from a baby lol, but those kinds of comparisons are often needed to weed out the less good stuff for me

Last edited:
There is a lot of shit I’ve not owned, but there isn’t much I’m interested in trying.

Besides a soaked Plexi rig for EVH nerd type shit, I don’t really care about any other amps. And it’s not even to play VH, but just to have a tone in that ballpark.

BUT, I get close enough to that with a Badger 30, a GE7 and a Carbon Copy that I don’t feel I should spend a shitload more money on it.

Picked up a Rev C recto recently; can scratch that off my remaining bucket list. My fav Mesa ever…even over the C+ I owned. It’s got just the right amount of Marshall DNA to be damn near perfect.

A real Jose A Marshall, Larry, maybe a Morin mod are all that’s left for my curiousity.

I've got a question for all of you? What do you consider a Mark series amp like a IIC+? a dry sounding amp or a wet sounding amp? I'm confused about it??

For 15+ years for me it was a morin Marshall, which I finally got all those years later. To me it’s still the most out of control scariest amp I own. I don’t know what that guy did, but they are the best Marshalls I’ve ever heard.

I would like to own a VH4, that’s sparking my interest these days. I absolutely love just about every amp sim of one, so I’m sure I’d love it.

I could sell everything but my rev F and my morin if I had to and be happy. There hasn’t been anything new in the last 10+ years that gets me curious. Especially very few of the newer amps like revv. KSR being the exception to me, my colossus is right up there with the other 2 amps I’d keep too.

The only thing that even has me a tiny bit curious these days is the hermansson stuff, maybe the gower stuff, and the MLC amps that seem to be gaining alot of traction. The gowers are the closest to me to mike morins mods for anyone curious. Very similar DNA I think from what I’ve heard. But I’m not gonna go out of my way or sell anything to get them either.

I've got a question for all of you? What do you consider a Mark series amp like a IIC+? a dry sounding amp or a wet sounding amp? I'm confused about it??
Dry amps typically have great clarity…like a C+ does…but to me the C+ is very chewy/liquid to play so it has some traits that you would think would offset each other; yet that doesn’t happen.
Very unique amp.

Picked up a Rev C recto recently; can scratch that off my remaining bucket list. My fav Mesa ever…even over the C+ I owned. It’s got just the right amount of Marshall DNA to be damn near perfect.

A real Jose A Marshall, Larry, maybe a Morin mod are all that’s left for my curiousity.
Ya, but it doesn't have the big fat low end of a rev G or F recto? It's basically just a SLO with a different power-amp, ya know?? which does change it's sound quite a bit. Look at the schematic of the rev C rectifier.

Back