What is the best way to fully protect yourself when selling?

Tone Monster

Is the only true way to only accept money orders or cashiers checks? I'm scared to death of the latest paypal policy change.

represent what you are selling accurately
deal with people with good reputations and decent post counts
pack it properly

anything can happen but most problem transactions have issues with one or more of the above. people who don't accept paypal have a really hard time moving gear.

sleewell2":1tr6e7g8 said:
pack it properly

anything can happen but most problem transactions have issues with one or more of the above. people who don't accept paypal have a really hard time moving gear.

Well, I've used paypal extensively in the past with zero problems, but I've read too many horror stories about it that I'm nervous! The 180 day period to make a claim is total BS IMO.

Idiot buys a guitar, plays it hard for 3-4 months, fucks it up, then makes a claim? SCARY.

sleewell2":3czloki5 said:
pack it properly

This....I deal almost exclusively with people like this. No post count, no rep? No deal. I also have conversations with people before committing to a deal, and have actually not sold to someone just because of a bad feeling due to the questions they asked.

Buying is one thing, selling is another. I don't sell to someone that isn't comfortable sending me $ via PP Gift; after that, there's no recourse. Pack it like a mofo, take plenty of pics, etc...offer phone # so people can feel comfortable with you, and realize that you're going to lose some sales like this, but I really don't feel there's another option.

Like you said, the part where someone can use your shit for 6 months and then file a claim is bullshit....any number of things could go wrong that you're not even remotely at fault for, and then you're screwed.

honestly I think the whole pp gift thing is a myth. im pretty sure you can still do a chargeback through your credit card to get a refund. there is fine print in the terms and conditions of paypal which state that even with the gift option if the funding source disputes the payment will be refunded.

it might be on a case by case basis - if you pull that shit all the time they might catch on and deny the refund but if you have a good relationship with your credit card company, especially if its an amex, I think you could still get your money back.

really the only benefit is to avoid the fees.

Steinmetzify":dwi3ty6c said:
sleewell2":dwi3ty6c said:
pack it properly

This....I deal almost exclusively with people like this. No post count, no rep? No deal. I also have conversations with people before committing to a deal, and have actually not sold to someone just because of a bad feeling due to the questions they asked.

Buying is one thing, selling is another. I don't sell to someone that isn't comfortable sending me $ via PP Gift; after that, there's no recourse. Pack it like a mofo, take plenty of pics, etc...offer phone # so people can feel comfortable with you, and realize that you're going to lose some sales like this, but I really don't feel there's another option.

Like you said, the part where someone can use your shit for 6 months and then file a claim is bullshit....any number of things could go wrong that you're not even remotely at fault for, and then you're screwed.
Now that paypal gift option charges the sender, there is no benefit for the buyer. IF the seller doesn't want to eat the fees, then thats understandable, so if the buyer is going to eat them and they are the one sending money first, they are most at risk, from a legal standpoint because they have no recourse and the seller could claim it was a gift.

sleewell2":1gtxie26 said:
pack it properly

:thumbsup:

I ask for feedback as soon as they've had a chance to go over it and check it out. Doesn't make it as easy to say it has a problem at day 179 when said everything checked out aok a few days after purchase. At least it gives me a fighting chance.

I always use a money order or meet someone at a mutual location, like a guitar store, and do cash.

I will say that I'm good at reading people and that I also don't do business with just anyone. If the seller acts weird or is really demanding I just get out of the deal completely. I'm too old to deal with some asshole who is mad because I won't buy his Zacky Vengence guitar. :)

To be honest, my favorite group to do business with are people right here on the forum who have been here for years and have built up a reputation. I have known some folks here on the forum since the late 90's and always funny when I actually get to meet them in person. :)

romanianreaper":294ngs7c said:
I always use a money order or meet someone at a mutual location, like a guitar store, and do cash.

I will say that I'm good at reading people and that I also don't do business with just anyone. If the seller acts weird or is really demanding I just get out of the deal completely. I'm too old to deal with some asshole who is mad because I won't buy his Zacky Vengence guitar. :)

To be honest, my favorite group to do business with are people right here on the forum who have been here for years and have built up a reputation. I have known some folks here on the forum since the late 90's and always funny when I actually get to meet them in person. :)

I totally agree. I have a good feel for most of the regulars here and feel my reputation is good as well. One of the best things about rigtalk!

Craigslist....if you don't count the possibility of getting robbed at gunpoint when you meet the buyer. Lol!

Yeah I would say here on RT with trusted members, same with other gear forums that are legit. Of course, Craigslist if you are in a good enough area. I know for some, there is just no market on CL for a super high end whatever in a small town.

I've had some great deals through Ebay and Paypal on expensive gear with zero issues. Feedback now is almost 900. Many of the deals I got out of Ebay or it would be much higher. I communicate with my buyers and get a feel for them. I have also recently gotten a couple of deals out of Ebay with very happy buyers.
I get the policies but I would not be afraid.

Yep. I was done with eBay last summer with music gear. It is getting very shady for selling. A few bad apples spoil a whole bunch.

Don't over value your item, a common problem. Once the price is right have accurate descriptions, take detailed pictures and close ups. Keep description short and sweet and don't put on your salesman hat and over sell it...let the item sell itself. If you accept PayPal DO NOT link to a bank account that you NEED to have as an asshole can file a dispute and PayPal will freeze your bank account.

You can take money orders (I only take US postal MO's) or personal checks. I wouldn't take a check on a higher dollar item myself but if you do let it clear your bank before you ship.

Don't be a cheap bastard when it comes to shipping, pack it properly (how you would like to receive an item) and don't overprice shipping like a lot of people do (why eBay gets a % on shipping charges)

In my opinion eBay is only good for buyers, worse for sellers when they run into an asshole buyer. You do reach a larger market with eBay but I no longer sell stuff on eBay. On reverb now

Don't be an idiot and cheap out on packing. Take a video and or pictures of the packing process. Take detailed pictures of the item and send them to the buyer. Disclose any issues with the item. Keep all emails with the buyer. Provide tracking info and insure the item.

I've sold probably 50 guitars this way without a single issue. If you are a dirt bag, you're gonna have problems. Don't be a dirt bag and there will be no issues. The rest is up to the shipping company.

sleewell2":1l2bmbn5 said:
pack it properly

Take pictures of every angle, every nuance of the item including serial numbers. This is real important with electronics. There are scammers out there that buy stuff, replace the guts with junk and return it saying it doesn't work. This happened to me with a Rocktron poweramp and I did not have pictures of the guts. The case screws were partially stripped but my pictures did not clearly show them before I shipped it.
I also tell the buyer I have all of these pictures and then send the pictures through Ebay's system after the sale. Since I started doing this I have had no issues.
I just sold a wireless speaker system and took 35 pictures. I took pics of each battery cover, model numbers, case screws, etc. I also include a packing list of exactly what I am shipping and enter that into Ebay's system.
It sucks to have to do this but it beats getting ripped off.

Good suggestions here. Pictures are most important for sure.
I would worry about shipping guitars in very cold temps. Buyer opens it up too early, checks the finish, and says he got it that way. I sold a few recently and was very adamant about the buyer allowing the guitar to temper. This way it was in writing. I save all my messages just in case. Communicating is another good tool as it can give you a feel if your buyer is solid.

Back