What's old is new again. Again...

Chris O

Gonna try this Axe thing ONE MORE time... I came to terms with the fact that it sounds better to me than anything else I have/have had. It's also one of the best cures for GAS I've had, and I think I finally realize it.

Going from this:

To this...

I really hope this is the last time I buy the Axe-Fx II... Wish me luck...and patience...and willpower!!

While I sat with it for a bit last night, and I sure could hear what I was missing. Damn these things are awesome...

What are you gonna do in a few years time when the Axe FX III or some newer, improved version of the AxeFX comes out and your II has become obsolete, uncool and un-sellable??

You still see the Axe Standard and Ultra bringing in good coin. But for the sake of your troll bait, here we go...

Same thing as every amp "flavor of the day". Sell it for what the market demands, or just keep it. That said, I've never understood "obsolete" - just cuz there's something newer, cooler, etc., does that make the older version worthless? It still sounds amazing. That doesn't change. I'm still quite happy to plug into a Pod every now & then. I thought it was cool when it was new, and that hasn't changed.

Seems lotsa guys around here still hold onto the "obsolete" stuff... Why? It sounds good. Your argument isn't valid TO ME. Others might agree with you, but I don't. I love gear, new and old. Lots of vintage sounds in the Axe for sure!

As long as it sounds good, people will buy it. And if YOU like it, that's all that matters! BTW what are you using for power? Or are you running direct?

Racerxrated":1z2a7m0u said:
As long as it sounds good, people will buy it. And if YOU like it, that's all that matters! BTW what are you using for power? Or are you running direct?

I'm running the Axe into an ISP Stealth power amp, then stereo into the Marshall with G12C's - the custom Greenbacks. I'm not a gigging guy, but if I were, I'd go direct FOH, and monitor with my setup. I did the FRFR thing...I just like the way things sounded thru a power amp & cab.

Nice dude! Did you download Quantum yet? I did when the beta was released and it really is amazing at how far it has come. With the new dephase setting in the cab block and the new firmware it really has come to another level.

Nicely done! If it works for you, then you have the perfect setup. There are so many new digital setups coming out now that it is great to have some choice!

Congrats dude! I fuckin love mine so much. So many awesome tone solutions in one box is just cool. Getting used to Quantum after loving 19 for a few months. Still sounds badass, just a little different.

Kick ass man! I have yet to try an Axe but they certainly rate high on my list of things I really WANT to try.

Chris O":24u4dm90 said:
Racerxrated":24u4dm90 said:

I'm running the Axe into an ISP Stealth power amp, then stereo into the Marshall with G12C's - the custom Greenbacks. I'm not a gigging guy, but if I were, I'd go direct FOH, and monitor with my setup. I did the FRFR thing...I just like the way things sounded thru a power amp & cab.
Nice. That's one of my favorite cabs, had a VM B cab, never should have sold it. Congrats! :rock:

lessthan12":3mmiivr6 said:
Nice dude! Did you download Quantum yet? I did when the beta was released and it really is amazing at how far it has come. With the new dephase setting in the cab block and the new firmware it really has come to another level.

Yep. DL'd it last night. And now I have a horrible cold today, and my ears can't stand guitar frequencies...shit!!! Had to take the evening off. :thumbsdown:

Racerxrated":hdimgkzb said:
Chris O":hdimgkzb said:
Racerxrated":hdimgkzb said:

Nice. That's one of my favorite cabs, had a VM B cab, never should have sold it. Congrats! :rock:

It is a killer cab! There was a B cab at GC in Roseville. Had me thinking... :yes:

Chris O":588ju2uq said:
Racerxrated":588ju2uq said:
Chris O":588ju2uq said:
Racerxrated":588ju2uq said:

It is a killer cab! There was a B cab at GC in Roseville. Had me thinking... :yes:
I saw that, if it were a bit cheaper... :rock:

Chris O":3dmuoewn said:
You still see the Axe Standard and Ultra bringing in good coin. But for the sake of your troll bait, here we go...

Same thing as every amp "flavor of the day". Sell it for what the market demands, or just keep it. That said, I've never understood "obsolete" - just cuz there's something newer, cooler, etc., does that make the older version worthless? It still sounds amazing. That doesn't change. I'm still quite happy to plug into a Pod every now & then. I thought it was cool when it was new, and that hasn't changed.

Seems lotsa guys around here still hold onto the "obsolete" stuff... Why? It sounds good. Your argument isn't valid TO ME. Others might agree with you, but I don't. I love gear, new and old. Lots of vintage sounds in the Axe for sure!

Hey, i'm not trollin here. I just find with all these new digital processors and pre-amps that they eventually become obsolete and the re-sale value becomes near nil, ya know what I mean?? But with real amplifiers, they never lose their value.

But as a recording and gigging musician I see how the Axe FX and the Kemper can be very useful tools. If I had a good recording setup I would defanitely invest in some kinda modeller, just for convenience. They do sound pretty damn good for recording, but I find they still do lack a bit for live performance. there is always room for improvement.

anomaly":2i1ehv2c said:
Hey, i'm not trollin here. I just find with all these new digital processors and pre-amps that they eventually become obsolete and the re-sale value becomes near nil, ya know what I mean?? But with real amplifiers, they never lose their value.

But as a recording and gigging musician I see how the Axe FX and the Kemper can be very useful tools. If I had a good recording setup I would defanitely invest in some kinda modeller, just for convenience. They do sound pretty damn good for recording, but I find they still do lack a bit for live performance. there is always room for improvement.

For your bolded, you don't need one with the Axe....it's an AI in and of itself. USB into the computer into Reaper and done. Just FYI.

just bought another mesa stiletto so I understand, I now have 2 heads and the combo all have the Hollywood mod ofcourse... LOve them and have had 5 in the last 8 yrs... Just like the ampeg vl102 and vl502

Back