Where are these Vintage 30's made?

evilrocker

Anyone know where these are made? Uk or China?? what is it worth?

Attachments

• v30.jpg
    v30.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 4,396
  • vintage30.jpg
    vintage30.jpg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 5,085
  • vintage30all.jpg
    vintage30all.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 4,399
I think if they say Celestion LTD on them, they're Chinese. FWIW, I've got English and Chinese V30's. There's no difference once they're broken in, imho.

Here's the Deal.

All machines that make the parts for Celestion speakers were moved down to China in 2003.

If it says made in Ipswitch England. IT IS MADE IN ENGLAND!

If the Speaker is dated before 2003 then the Parts were made in England, and the speaker was “assembled” in England.

If the Speaker is dated after 2003 then the parts were made in China shipped to England, and the Speaker was “assembled” in England.

Marshall's Celestions, and Mesa's are still done this way.

Hope this helps.

Roid RAGE

For what it's worth, those Marshall branded V30's do NOT sound like regular Celestion branded V30's.

If your first V30 experience is with those, then you really need to also try the regular Celestion V30's.. As in, the ones you buy as replacement speakers. Big difference. I love regular Celestion V30's, but i absolutely hate the Marshall branded V30's.

MrDan666":3gh2b8if said:
For what it's worth, those Marshall branded V30's do NOT sound like regular Celestion branded V30's.

If your first V30 experience is with those, then you really need to also try the regular Celestion V30's.. As in, the ones you buy as replacement speakers. Big difference. I love regular Celestion V30's, but i absolutely hate the Marshall branded V30's.

I TOTALLY Disagree :no:

I find Regular V30's Especially Chinese ones Iritatingly BRIGHT, and RASPY.... Can't stand them...

They sound like Ceramic magnet pickups cause they Do have Ceramic Cheap Magnets.

The Marshall V30's Are Made To Pre-Rola Specs. When Celestion Changed the V30 to make them Cheaper to produce in the 80's Marshall heard them and said WHOOOA what did you do different to them.. They Told marshall that they switched to Ceramic Magnets cause the Alnico magnets were way too expensive.... And they use the brighter sounding 1770 cones... Rolas used the 444 cones...

So Marshall made a deal with them to make speakers for them to the OLD Specifications, and that is still the way they are made to this day...

That's why the Marshall Branded V30's are more expensive they use Alnico Magnets, and 444 cones. They are DARKER - SMOOTHER - LESS RASPBY!

I think they are the Cats Ass.... Ever wonder why a Marshall 1960 Vintage Cabs cost SO MUCH MONEY??? That's why, the speakers.

PM me if you wanna sell em! :thumbsup:

Roid RAGE

RoidRage":1gkk0sid said:
MrDan666":1gkk0sid said:

I find Regular V30's Especially Chinese ones Iritatingly BRIGHT, and RASPY.... Can't stand them...

That's fair enough, and tone is always subjective. But the regular V30's definitely sound different to the Marshall V30's. That's the only point i was making in my post.. The o/p may prefer the regular V30's over the Marshall V30's.. Or it could be the other way round. Best thing is just to try both and then decide, since they both sound very different :)

MrDan666":ugz22svl said:
RoidRage":ugz22svl said:
MrDan666":ugz22svl said:

That's fair enough, and tone is always subjective. But the regular V30's definitely sound different to the Marshall V30's. That's the only point i was making in my post.. The o/p may prefer the regular V30's over the Marshall V30's.. Or it could be the other way round. Best thing is just to try both and then decide, since they both sound very different :)

AGREED! :thumbsup:

RR

Those posted pics of the Marshall V30's are UK made.

Dare I complicate things further? I was told by a Mesa Rep. that Celestion makes them their Vintage 30 speaker for them and are physically and tonally different than the Chinese ones(e.g. riveted vs. glued). I contacted Mesa and when asked about the tonal differences the person responding stated they were not sure or do not know if there is a tonal difference. When I contacted Celestion, Dr. Decibel simply replied saying it is a special build for them and could not discuss it due to "customer confidentiality". Interested in trying both versions out sometime in the future.

50MkII":3hgsuikx said:

Dare I complicate things further? I was told by a Mesa Rep. that Celestion makes them their Vintage 30 speaker for them and are physically and tonally different than the Chinese ones(e.g. riveted vs. glued). I contacted Mesa and when asked about the tonal differences the person responding stated they were not sure or do not know if there is a tonal difference. When I contacted Celestion, Dr. Decibel simply replied saying it is a special build for them and could not discuss it due to "customer confidentiality". Interested in trying both versions out sometime in the future.

Well known info but thanks :)

50MkII":2zjh2qnt said:

I have done all this a LONG time ago... Yes they sound different, Yes the Mesas Sound better than Reg V30's

I have 5 different Versions, and COMPARED THEM ALL!!!

MESAS ARE MADE IN ENGLAND, AND USE 444 CONES... BUT THEY DO NOT USE THE ALNICO MAGNETS OF THE MARSHALLS.

Mesas... Are Slightly Smoother, and Less Bright than Standard V30's BUT they Still Have The RASPYNESS of the Ceramic Magnets.

I RATE THEM AS FOLLOWS:

1- EARLY 80'S & ROLA V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
2- MARSHALL V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
3- MESA V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
4- V30'S 90-2003 MADE IN ENGLAND
5- V30'S CURRENT CHINESE

RR

RoidRage":5j1ssmy5 said:
I have done all this a LONG time ago... Yes they sound different, Yes the Mesas Sound better than Reg V30's

I have 5 different Versions, and COMPARED THEM ALL!!!

MESAS ARE MADE IN ENGLAND, AND USE 444 CONES... BUT THEY DO NOT USE THE ALNICO MAGNETS OF THE MARSHALLS.

Mesas... Are Slightly Smoother, and Less Bright than Standard V30's BUT they Still Have The RASPYNESS of the Ceramic Magnets.

I RATE THEM AS FOLLOWS:

1- EARLY 80'S & ROLA V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
2- MARSHALL V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
3- MESA V30'S MADE IN ENGLAND
4- V30'S 90-2003 MADE IN ENGLAND
5- V30'S CURRENT CHINESE

RR

Thank you for posting your impressions. Will take that into account. Is the raspyness you are hearing noted in any particular range (mids)?

im pretty sure all the mesa ones are made in england and some of the mesa ones were 70w not 60w

Back