Old Mesa Marks on Reverb - Creeping Up!

What to do with an SRG Red III head in great shape?

• 1. Play the sucker to death!

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • 2. Retire it and let it's value increase.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3. Selll it now in case you get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
No doubt. You seen the price of a used 80's-90's dirt bike these days? crazy out there. Everyone's bored and looking for hobbies.
HA! This! I've been looking at 90's dirt bikes (I'm 45, almost 46) and it's just hits me in the heart nostalgia wise! If I had closer places to ride, I'd have a garage full of them. LOL

Let me direct you to sentence 2 of my statement....specifically the first couple of words in that sentence. :)
Still don’t agree. I don’t think anyone who wants a new Mark V is saying to themselves “hmm, well, I can’t find a new one so instead I’ll buy a Mark III for the same price.” They are different amps even though they are Marks. People want a Mark III because that’s the amp they want.

Still don’t agree. I don’t think anyone who wants a new Mark V is saying to themselves “hmm, well, I can’t find a new one so instead I’ll buy a Mark III for the same price.” They are different amps even though they are Marks. People want a Mark III because that’s the amp they want.
A Mark V could not be more different than a III!!! Opposite ends of the spectrum IMO. One is like an old Ferrari, the other a Mercedes-Benz. Both great, but one is straight-up raw muscle the other pure class with many frills. Both great.

A Mark V could not be more different than a III!!! Opposite ends of the spectrum IMO. One is like an old Ferrari, the other a Mercedes-Benz. Both great, but one is straight-up raw muscle the other pure class with many frills. Both great.
Sort of agree except I really think the mark v comes up short and doesn’t have great feel or special tone. I’ve tried owning it twice and it just doesn’t stack up to any of the older amps in the series

I agree with what you are saying but what you are saying isn't at all what I was saying. I was making a general point on pricing in this season on anything. Lack of new items has driven up used prices in addition to fees at various places increasing. Everything is shifting upwards. I doubt you will see used products going for new prices or more when inventory becomes plentiful. :)

I agree with what you are saying but what you are saying isn't at all what I was saying. I was making a general point on pricing in this season on anything. Lack of new items has driven up used prices in addition to fees at various places increasing. Everything is shifting upwards. I doubt you will see used products going for new prices or more when inventory becomes plentiful. :)
Supply and demand, I agree...but even if new supply starts showing up the used prices will stay higher unless that used inventory gets to where it was pre Covid. GC, I could look under used Marshall and there were 800 items. Now less than 150.

Supply and demand, I agree...but even if new supply starts showing up the used prices will stay higher unless that used inventory gets to where it was pre Covid. GC, I could look under used Marshall and there were 800 items. Now less than 150.

I wonder which raw materials and/or components are holding up all of the amps/modelers, etc.?
And/or, has anyone noticed the same shortages with things like TVs, kitchen appliances, etc.?

I just paid $675 for a MkIIb combo.

Hopefully when I decide to sell it I can get around $4000 :p

I bought 2 Mark IV's last summer,each for under $1000. I could throw them on Reverb for $2k tomorrow and they would sell. Prices on anything old is insane right now. Whether it be gear,cars,audio equipment,whatever. People are at home, bored with plenty of time, money and the internet.

Just speaking for myself, I have never saw the point in holding onto gear you don't use. I don't collect gear, see no point in having tons of amps/guitars just laying around unused and I use everything I have. I would personally sell it and get something you would use more.
Interesting point. I will say this: Their might be other reasons people hold unto to items that you aren't thinking of. Here's mine:

June 1991: Bought a brand new Mark 4 for $1621 including taxes out the door and still have it. Had it up for sale about 20 years ago and got one offer for $600 and the thing is basically brand new, have all the tags, receipts, instructions, amp cover, original tubes..everything it came with except for the original shipping box.

Made up my mind after the $600 offer that their no way was that happening, wasn't about to basically give it away..$1621 was a metric crap ton of money for me in 1991 and I worked hard to earn it.

I think part of why they are selling so high is cause there are a lot of good clips out there of Marks right now on youtube etc... A couple years ago there wasn't many good detailed vids of them.

Fell in love with the Mark II Boogie with Brad Gillis on the Ozzy album. Got 3 (C+) of them now with a Stealth 5153 attached to the MESA amp switcher. No chance of any of them being sold as long as I'm breathing air. I don't care where the price goes.

I think part of why they are selling so high is cause there are a lot of good clips out there of Marks right now on youtube etc... A couple years ago there wasn't many good detailed vids of them.
thats a valid point for sure. part of the reason i've owned over 100 amps in my day (besides obsession) is because for decades you weren't able to go on you tube and watch someone run through the settings with a good mic, and what not. You had to buy one used, hope it was in working order, jam on it for a while, then resell it if you we're feeling it. hopefully not loose your ass on that.
So that many amps later, the mark IIC+ - IVa 's are still my favs of everything i ever tried.

even since this thread started, i feel like the prices spiked even more. every mark III coming up now is 2k +

By the way, this guy couldn't sell his mark III for 1400, so he relisted it for hundreds more! lol. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogi...208893?hash=item5b8eb45cfd:g:Zs8AAOSwdg1gURCT

even since this thread started, i feel like the prices spiked even more.

They have! I've been keeping a close eye on them. Told my wife last night that I'm going to sit
on my MIII for now and explained all of the reasons why to her. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow ,
she knows just who to call to sell it for her at top $.

JimAnsell, do you know what are the differences between the Mark IVa and IVb are?? I've got a transitional head from 1996 right now, it's got some aspects of the A and some of the B, the cosmetics and attached cord are like a A but it has the stereo effects loop of the B. Anyways, it's a killer amp, i love it even more than the Mark III red stripe I used to own. Sounds tight and clear without getting harsh at band volumes. Perfect for my needs.

Back