Old Mesa Marks on Reverb - Creeping Up!

What to do with an SRG Red III head in great shape?

• 1. Play the sucker to death!

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • 2. Retire it and let it's value increase.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3. Selll it now in case you get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Donnie B.

Banned
Well, that didn't take long for the Gibson thing to inflate older Marks.
Did a search for Mark III and Mark IV and already the prices are getting nuts.

Seriously thinking of retiring my Mark III Red before anything goes wrong
with it (especially with Mike B.'s announcement).

The IIC+ and IV modes in the V:25 are a close enough vibe to the III - which
I never get to crank up loud anyway - that I'd get by without it.

Hmmmm, what say the RT masses?

Gibson hasn't raised a finger to inflate the prices of any old Mesa products.
Who said they did?
Michael Jackson didn't personally raise the prices of white sequinned gloves either. :ROFLMAO:

The amp is 34 years old and if anything major were to go down it'd be a real drag.
Plus I've been moving lots of 'nostalgia' gear for reason #3. I'd hate to drop dead and
leave all of this for my wife to have to deal with.

I listed my Mark IV for 1800 but I just put a new headshell plus had it serviced. Had I not done that I would have listed for the 1300 or 1400. I dont see why people are wanting double. People are doing it for 6505s too basically selling for new prices

I listed my Mark IV for 1800 but I just put a new headshell plus had it serviced. Had I not done that I would have listed for the 1300 or 1400. I dont see why people are wanting double. People are doing it for 6505s too basically selling for new prices
I still don’t believe people are fetching these prices in actuality

My buddy was offered full asking price of $2k for a red stripe mark iii just recently. He decided to keep it though after struggling with letting it go.
Im kinda in the same spot. I have mine listed but I may take it down. I wont be able to get another one. I am using the Ceres PA50 combo now and its killed my use of other amps. I sold my Leviathan and listed my Mark IV. Im hoping to get one of Monomyth's new amps when he gets them built but other than that Im kinda good on amps. I wish I wouldnt have sold my 5150 now. I sold it last summer for 600 thinking I could just buy another one.

I got rid of my MKIV. It needed a lot of work in the near future and I found a buyer who was willing to take it in knowing 100% that he was getting into. Mine had the brown caps, but weren't leaking yet, needed a few pots swapped (deoxit would not do it), needed some new sockets and had an issue with the LEDs. I traded that for the Splawn Quick Rod and $350. I was happy and so is he. I have not talked to the guy who had got it but he planned to send it into Mesa. Hopefully he did and has it on the way back. Mike gave me a $800 estimate on the repairs when I still had it.

Edit: I should mention that I snagged it a decade ago for $450.

Has brand new caps, a new reverb tank, and repaired pilot light (original was busted).
Has the mod to add an R2 master too.
Clean SRG heads are also somewhat rare.

New Lamp.jpg

Reactions: LCW
mesas are up because the amount of boogie mark fan boys is increasing with all the different boogie groups online. I'm on grailtone (sometimes), fb mark series owner, fb mesa boogie fan club, here, etc. Rarely does anyone have anything but great things to say about them. I'm not letting go of my mark IVa, even though i could easily double what i paid, at least, these days.

I still don’t believe people are fetching these prices in actuality

Yes. They. Are.

Believe what you want... I just sold my MK3 Green stripe head for $2200... and friend of mine sold his beat to snot MK3 Red head for $1800... the buyer drove 2 hours to pick it up too... and his amp looked like it was rode hard for 30 years and hung up soaking wet. You can generally not find MK3s for less than $1500 now... and most if not all of those will have issues. Minimum filter caps, electrolytic caps, pots replaced/sprayed and who knows what else. Go to Reverb... email the sellers that sold them... ask 3-4 sellers what their amps sold for... they will tell you. They have nothing to gain from lying.

I'm sorry some of you guys want sub-$1000 MK3s... good luck. Comes down to champagne taste on a beer budget. Times have changed... and here's another news flash... prices will continue to go up. See those $4 gas prices... well that's the tip o the ice berg. Just wait.

Last edited:
Back