Old Mesa Marks on Reverb - Creeping Up!

What to do with an SRG Red III head in great shape?

• 1. Play the sucker to death!

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • 2. Retire it and let it's value increase.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3. Selll it now in case you get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
Mesa prices are way up. Mark iii’s are selling for $2k plus.

I think a lot of it is that Iic+’s are so hard to find and a mark iii is the next best thing.

Pretty much this. And if people are complaining now... wait until they see MKIIC+ and MKIIC++ prices. :yes: :yes:

These are things no longer made and are very collectible. And if they really want to loose their collective minds check out the prices on late 1960's Marshall SLPs. I've got 2 and have quickly turned down offers of $10K for a halfstack.

Pretty much this. And if people are complaining now... wait until they see MKIIC+ and MKIIC++ prices. :yes: :yes:

These are things no longer made and are very collectible. And if they really want to loose their collective minds check out the prices on late 1960's Marshall SLPs. I've got 2 and have quickly turned down offers of $10K for a halfstack.
Nice!

I’ve got a super clean 69’ SLP 100w head and very clean 69’ 4x12 basketweave with Pulsonics. Don’t think I’ll ever sell them though.

I have a factory, not upgraded IIC++ long head. Artist owned. I’ve got stupid offers for that one. But I just can’t let it go.

Nice!

I’ve got a super clean 69’ SLP 100w head and very clean 69’ 4x12 basketweave with Pulsonics. Don’t think I’ll ever sell them though.

I have a factory, not upgraded IIC++ long head. Artist owned. I’ve got stupid offers for that one. But I just can’t let it go.

Hang on to it. My 2 67 SLPs are not going anywhere either. The pre-Rola G12M speakers alone are major $$$$.

Who said they did?
Michael Jackson didn't personally raise the prices of white sequinned gloves either. :ROFLMAO:

The amp is 34 years old and if anything major were to go down it'd be a real drag.
Plus I've been moving lots of 'nostalgia' gear for reason #3. I'd hate to drop dead and
leave all of this for my wife to have to deal with.
I didn't say it was you, did I?
If you're moving your Mesa right now, power to you. I hope you get good money for it and GLWYS.
I'm not planning on dropping dead any time soon, so I'm planning on keeping, and enjoying them for as long as I can.
And as the owner of a Dual Rectifier #211(the one on top of the other two rectos) and a MK-2C+, I'm beyond happy that the prices are going up. And I truly hope they go up even more!Lol
And thank God for Michael Jackson fans and online forums!!!

The amp is 34 years old and if anything major were to go down it'd be a real drag.
Plus I've been moving lots of 'nostalgia' gear for reason #3. I'd hate to drop dead and
leave all of this for my wife to have to deal with.
Sell it if you're happy with the going rate. I guess the price hikes are partially due to the stimulus checks keeps rolling in and people think they might die from covid at any time so they want their stuff NOW.

I didn't say it was you, did I?
If you're moving your Mesa right now, power to you. I hope you get good money for it and GLWYS.
I'm not planning on dropping dead any time soon, so I'm planning on keeping, and enjoying them for as long as I can.
And as the owner of a Dual Rectifier #211(the one on top of the other two rectos) and a MK-2C+, I'm beyond happy that the prices are going up. And I truly hope they go up even more!Lol
And thank God for Michael Jackson fans and online forums!!!

The Pandemic has jumped the prices of ALL the gear that we USED to find at GC.com used...but they have NO inventory to speak of...when something comes in at a pre Pandemic price it's gonzo within the day. Just today I saw a Rev G dual for 949. Looked 4 hours later and boom gone. You would think that people would fire sale their gear in these tough times, but they're not. I paid near 3K for a chrome Rev F Triple a month ago...before you laugh and say I overpaid the same seller put up a chrome Rev G Triple for MORE cash and it lasted all of one day. Lol

Things are what they are...I lucked into a 72 Pulsonic cab with matching cone/date codes for 1500 last summer..to go with my 72 SuperTremolo that I paid 2200 for. If I wanted to find the same condition half stack now(Head is museum condition, cab is aged but no tears/rips) I'd be looking at paying 6-8K IF I could even find any out there.
Like it or not, it's a good spot to be in IF you have a nice collection of gear and you don't have any desire for anything new.

The Pandemic has jumped the prices of ALL the gear that we USED to find at GC.com used...but they have NO inventory to speak of...when something comes in at a pre Pandemic price it's gonzo within the day. Just today I saw a Rev G dual for 949. Looked 4 hours later and boom gone. You would think that people would fire sale their gear in these tough times, but they're not. I paid near 3K for a chrome Rev F Triple a month ago...before you laugh and say I overpaid the same seller put up a chrome Rev G Triple for MORE cash and it lasted all of one day. Lol

Things are what they are...I lucked into a 72 Pulsonic cab with matching cone/date codes for 1500 last summer..to go with my 72 SuperTremolo that I paid 2200 for. If I wanted to find the same condition half stack now(Head is museum condition, cab is aged but no tears/rips) I'd be looking at paying 6-8K IF I could even find any out there.
Like it or not, it's a good spot to be in IF you have a nice collection of gear and you don't have any desire for anything new.
I agree 100%!

I wasn't either until 60 came around, and I remember all the crap I put myself
through the last 45 years!

Incredible MB collection ya got there!
Stop thinking this way. You still have plenty of time to enjoy life.
But if you can cash the amp in, and make a better use of the money, why not?

Thank you! I use to have all three Rectos(Rev C, E & F), the 2C+ and a 2B. Kept the 2C+ and the Rev C. Wish I still had my Rev E too.

IMO the china virus caused most of the hikes. All gear is out of control price wise on the used market. Why? Because nobody can get the gear new because everything is on backorder and has been for months on end in some cases. Used gear is selling for new prices (roughly) because new stuff isn't as available as it once was. The more it continues the worse it gets. Inflated Reverb prices don't help either. The cost to sell something is up there along with the inflated prices. That is why beat up Mesa's, old Mesa's are selling so high. Everybody is trying to cash in and stay afloat with that perceived music gear stimulus. Once the masks are gone and things balance out the market will swing back into shape when normalcy hits. Shouldn't be much longer.

Prices of desirablego up. Just happens.

When I first started playing in my teens, people couldn't give away 70s Fenders or JCM 800s. Now look at the prices. And JCMs are surging again.

The prices of Mark IIIs and IVs and two channel Rectos have been stupidly low considering how good those amps are. IMHO the rising prices kinda stinks in some ways but it's not unreasonable when I think about it.

IMO the china virus caused most of the hikes. All gear is out of control price wise on the used market. Why? Because nobody can get the gear new because everything is on backorder and has been for months on end in some cases. Used gear is selling for new prices (roughly) because new stuff isn't as available as it once was. The more it continues the worse it gets. Inflated Reverb prices don't help either. The cost to sell something is up there along with the inflated prices. That is why beat up Mesa's, old Mesa's are selling so high. Everybody is trying to cash in and stay afloat with that perceived music gear stimulus. Once the masks are gone and things balance out the market will swing back into shape when normalcy hits. Shouldn't be much longer.
What does a vintage amp, not made anymore have to do with the supply of a new amp? Clearly a Rev G dual Rec is not the same as a Multi Watt or Badlander. As others have said vintage gear goes through phases, where you couldn’t give away a plexi in the 90s now they are gold. Once enough time passes, amps (and guitars) go up in value. Just the way it is. The only thing that may bring prices back down would be a market increase in the supply of used vintage amps....but whenever I see something at a pre Covid price at GC it’s gone within a few hours.

What does a vintage amp, not made anymore have to do with the supply of a new amp? Clearly a Rev G dual Rec is not the same as a Multi Watt or Badlander. As others have said vintage gear goes through phases, where you couldn’t give away a plexi in the 90s now they are gold. Once enough time passes, amps (and guitars) go up in value. Just the way it is. The only thing that may bring prices back down would be a market increase in the supply of used vintage amps....but whenever I see something at a pre Covid price at GC it’s gone within a few hours.
So you don’t think it’s going to swing back at all? And the 90s plexi example doesn’t explain the whole modern situation where essentially over night asking prices increased multiplicatively

I'll make a prediction here. All these people that bought up all these guitars/amps during lockdown/Covid....all the historic numbers these guitar companies are setting for sales...people don't stick with hobbies much. It's human nature. And they won't after this is all over. Gibson and Fender sold record numbers this past year and I'll bet anyone sooner than later a lot of those guitars will be going up for sale and the market will be flooded with used gear. Just bide your time.

Reactions: jcj
So you don’t think it’s going to swing back at all? And the 90s plexi example doesn’t explain the whole modern situation where essentially over night asking prices increased multiplicatively
It might; but it won’t until the used market gets re-saturated again. The question is when will it happen? Or will it happen? Supply and demand is what it’s all about. Couple that with the fact that these pieces of gear are becoming more ‘vintage’ by the day. If the used market stays where it’s at now, I don’t think these prices will go back down.

It might; but it won’t until the used market gets re-saturated again. The question is when will it happen? Or will it happen? Supply and demand is what it’s all about. Couple that with the fact that these pieces of gear are becoming more ‘vintage’ by the day. If the used market stays where it’s at now, I don’t think these prices will go back down.
I pretty much agree, we will have to see what happens next.

One a side note, went to the Mesa Store to get a new tube set for my V:25 and both 12AX7s and EL84s are out of stock!

Back