Old Mesa Marks on Reverb - Creeping Up!

What to do with an SRG Red III head in great shape?

• 1. Play the sucker to death!

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • 2. Retire it and let it's value increase.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3. Selll it now in case you get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
BEs can be had in $2,200-$2,500 range every day. Especially those that were made between 2015-2018. Nothing unique or special about the mark 3 imo. I know them for being not as good as a 2c+. SLOs atleast have the cache of being "the" hairmetal amp.
Any Mark series amp is very unique tonally, including the Mark III. More so than a SLO IMO.

A few months ago I sold my Mesa MK IV for around 1500. It was in a IIC+ headshell, and it was amazing. I bought it from a forum member here last year for 1100. I wanted to take advantage of the being able to make profit, but regretted it almost as soon as I shipped it. I still had my 5150 and Marshall's but the IV had a sound nothing else did. Fortunately a guy listed a Mark IV combo for 600.00 like two weeks after I sold mine. I pounced on that deal. It turned out the guy selling it I used to jam with even. We even talked about owning the same amp several times.
I learned my lesson about selling amps just to make profit. I almost even sold my 5150 trying to ride this wave, but I think I'll hold off for a bit.

... and another MK III Black Stripe just sold for $2400 on Reverb...

https://reverb.com/item/39586621-mesa-boogie-mark-iii-wide-head?show_sold=true
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

I learned my lesson about selling amps just to make profit.

See your point and been there, done that I few times myself.
This time though it's really not about the cash. It's more the sense of
"why do I have so much more stuff than I really need?"

What would my poor wife know what to do with a Red Stripe III?
I thought about typing up a note with instructions on how to sell my
everything, but realized pretty fast it was too much work to pawn off on
anyone else.

Got 1 tube head, 1 HX Stomp, and a few choice pedals.
What more's a soon to be 61 yo bloke need?

What would my poor wife know what to do with a Red Stripe III?

I get where your coming from. I'd say just make sure your wife knows at least one of your friends who is also into music gear. That way if something tragic happens and you disappear, your friend can get things sorted out for her. That's my strategy at least. Then I don't have to lose sleep at night wondering if my stash is too big. I mean yeah, for most of us it's more than we need but for most of us this is just a hobby anyways, or maybe we get enough stage time to break even. I say embrace the GAS and just watch your credit card (seriously).

As for the vintage Mark discussion, I think it's simply a matter of times changing. There is almost always a unique catalyst that causes prominent changes in any industry (covid is obvious here) and it certainly doesn't mean once the catalyst resolves or reverts, everything else will too. At the end of the day, these amps are only 30-40 years old so who's to say a 50-60 year old Mark that's been maintained properly won't double or triple in price? Especially with the dichotomy of modelers...it doesn't matter how good they get, it will just reinforce certain people's appreciation for tubes and big iron. 'Nuff said.

As for the vintage Mark discussion, I think it's simply a matter of times changing.

And staying the same too! A Mesa Mark tone has been one of the benchmarks for the tones that JP made
famous and tons have copied since he exploded on the scene.

Mind blowing to think about this too long but Images and Words turns 30 next year! :oops:

And staying the same too! A Mesa Mark tone has been one of the benchmarks for the tones that JP made
famous and tons have copied since he exploded on the scene.

Mind blowing to think about this too long but Images and Words turns 30 next year! :oops:
Yep, JP and Hetfield both. It's rare for me to find a band/guitarist/tone that totally plows me over but DT sure did the first time I heard Images back in high school. So much so that I even started tolerating James LaBrie :LOL:

to think of how low i've sold some mark III's for in my day. never got more than a grand for any of em, except selling my buddies wood/wicker green stripe ev combo that had a road case, i got 1200 for that. i knew they were under rated, but 2k? eh... idk....

These amps are now vintage, and still easily keep up with, or smoke anything else that’s been made since. Back in their day, they were doing things that no other amps could do plugged straight in. Some of these asking prices are ridiculous, but IMO these amps are fetching closer to their true worth now, then they were a few years ago.

What does a vintage amp, not made anymore have to do with the supply of a new amp? Clearly a Rev G dual Rec is not the same as a Multi Watt or Badlander. As others have said vintage gear goes through phases, where you couldn’t give away a plexi in the 90s now they are gold. Once enough time passes, amps (and guitars) go up in value. Just the way it is. The only thing that may bring prices back down would be a market increase in the supply of used vintage amps....but whenever I see something at a pre Covid price at GC it’s gone within a few hours.
Let me direct you to sentence 2 of my statement....specifically the first couple of words in that sentence. :)

These amps are now vintage, and still easily keep up with, or smoke anything else that’s been made since. Back in their day, they were doing things that no other amps could do plugged straight in. Some of these asking prices are ridiculous, but IMO these amps are fetching closer to their true worth now, then they were a few years ago.
Although a IIC+ is still better, those mark iii's and iv's were crazy underpriced for what they were. I never understood how anyone would've chose other amps in that price range like a 6505/5150, Splawns and others over it. Was like the biggest no brainer in the world to choose a mark iii over any other high gain amp for under $1000. The old JMP2203 and JCM800's used to also be way underpriced for their quality of tone and like the mark iii seem to have gone to where they should've been a long time ago

Back