Is it me, or have Daddario's gone to shit?

There may not be a difference in tone but there is definitely a difference in feel and tension.

EB and GHS 9s are way slinkier than D'Addario 9s
GHS have a round wound core which adds a lot to feel; more costly to manufacture than hex core too - yet, they're pretty inexpensive.

I've used EBs, I found them to be great out of the bag but dead in a few days - dull - lifeless.

I don't think there's a right or wrong at all out there - between playing styles, axes used, skin/secretion chemistry, etc - the best string can be shit for the next guy and vice versa. Just play what makes ya happy - but - BUT - of all the "spare packs" I have due to installation and premature breakage?? D'Adds fail the most for me.

Just throwing this out there - while there are definitely differences in perceived tension between different brands of strings, 90% of the time that I come across a guitar that seems super stiff feeling, it's because there is too much relief in the neck

How so? Do they still sound like new strings for twice as long?
For my playing regiment [generally an hour a day, everyday] a set of StringJoys last me almost as long as three cheap sets. I also wipe my strings quick with fast fret after every playing session to help them last.

EDIT: Yes they feel like new strings for much longer of the strings life. I also play them hard FWTW.

For my playing regiment [generally an hour a day, everyday] a set of StringJoys last me almost as long as three cheap sets. I also wipe my strings quick with fast fret after every playing session to help them last.

EDIT: Yes they feel like new strings for much longer of the strings life. I also play them hard FWTW.
With that kind of review, I am now tempted to buy a pack a give it a try

So for example a D string that is considered "slinky" vs. The same sized D string, from another brand, that is not considered "slinky", will be as you say? Serious question.
Yes. Fender (D'Addario) 150's, which are 10's, are much tighter than EB Slinky 10's.

With the occasional exception in a pinch, I've used Ernie Ball or D'Addario since 1985. In high school I started using Ernie Ball and then years ago someone mentioned the other and I switched. I've thought about trying something else one day. I can't stand changing strings. My playing style is a lighter touch so breaks never happen...but they do. Lol

I got two 10 packs of D’Addario XL110’s at Bargain Hunt for $9 ea a couple weeks ago. Selling both this morning for $40.

After reading this thread, I think I’ll stick with my Fender 150’s and EB Paradigms.

I got two 10 packs of D’Addario XL110’s at Bargain Hunt for $9 ea a couple weeks ago. Selling both this morning for $40.

After reading this thread, I think I’ll stick with my Fender 150’s and EB Paradigms.

EB Paradigm Hybrid Slinkies are my favorite strings ever

I just confirmed why I don't like Slinkys. I haven't played in at least two years so I needed to setup a few guitars. I used my normal D'Addario strings for 3 guitars but today I setup my JP6. I was going to put a set of D'Addario's on the JP6 but I had a spare pack of 10 - 46 Slinkys so I'd figure why not. After putting the EB's on the JP6 I noticed right off the bat that the tension on the EB's are noticeably lighter than D'Addario's which I don't like so off with the EB's.
If I had to change strings weekly, I'd have to be put in a mental institution. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than change strings, lol.

I hear you LOL! I just started playing again after taking a 2 year break. Since Thursday I've setup and restrung 6 guitars and half of them have floyds. I still have 3 more to setup. If I had to do this every week or two I would go insane.

I've had really good luck with the NYXL's. I've been using those on several guitars for a few years now. The last year I've been recording and have been changing strings quite a bit, on basses and guitars, I've mostly used D'Addario's the whole time and haven't run into a single issue with them.

Edit-

I love changing strings! It's like taking a shower! They feel all nice and fresh after, sound all bright and punchy! It's like a little meditation/self-care time with my guitars/basses. Every time my buddy comes over he brings an extra pack of strings and one of his guitars over so I can change the strings on it. Not sure why I do, I just really enjoy the process.

I love changing strings! It's like taking a shower! They feel all nice and fresh after, sound all bright and punchy! It's like a little meditation/self-care time with my guitars/basses. Every time my buddy comes over he brings an extra pack of strings and one of his guitars over so I can change the strings on it. Not sure why I do, I just really enjoy the process.

I love it too.

And I love polishing the frets on my guitars that do not have stainless steel frets. I do that every string change.

I've had really good luck with the NYXL's. I've been using those on several guitars for a few years now. The last year I've been recording and have been changing strings quite a bit, on basses and guitars, I've mostly used D'Addario's the whole time and haven't run into a single issue with them.

Edit-

Showers are overrated! Lol, setting up another guitar as I speak.... this one is a seven string with a floyd. I love Floyd's but I hate setting them up.

Edit-

If all of us here on the forum are the Peanuts Gang, then I'm Pigpen...lol

Back