Anderson Angel - anyone play these?

mooncobra

I got this a couple years ago. Not usually a fan of blue guitars with tops like this. I usually prefer a more subtle and simple look. But, the playability is off the charts. Easily the best playing guitar I have ever come across. The stainless frets make it feel like ice. The Anderson single coils sound great. The Humbucker sounds good as well, but have been pondering changing it for a while now. I have a second degree black belt or a thornbucker 2 I might put in. I scored a killer deal on an Ibanez j custom last year and I didn’t think any guitar could play more effortless than that, but this one does. Wish I still had a Charvel I used to own as that also played amazing. This guitar sounds great with high gain or cleans. I just wish it was a little more subtle looking.

The pic makes it look more blue than it really is, the god damn iPhone seems to produce inaccurate pictures.

Anyone else playing an Angel? What do you think of yours?

I added a pic of the type of J custom it dethroned as best playing guitar.

Attachments

• IMG_9425.jpeg
    IMG_9425.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9391.jpeg
    IMG_9391.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 107
Waaaay back in the early 90s,a young me wrote Tom a long note on why I thought he should make a 2 octave 24frt guitar. With thier quality even back then I remember thinking this would be a dream guitar. But they were pretty adamant at the time that they wernt ever going to.Thk God they went for it! The level of quality,fit,finish,fretwork,and playability is just off the charts and 2nd to none on my angel.
20220416_123911.jpg

Wow, she's a beauty!

I'm playing a Li'l Angel and it's become my #1 over the past year. It has all the tone, frets, and playability I want in a guitar wrapped up in a smaller scale. The workmanship is unparalleled, probably the best I've ever seen and, as you say, is effortless to play.

View attachment 293606
That’s amazing!! So you know the playability, it’s crazy how these play.

Waaaay back in the early 90s,a young me wrote Tom a long note on why I thought he should make a 2 octave 24frt guitar. With thier quality even back then I remember thinking this would be a dream guitar. But they were pretty adamant at the time that they wernt ever going to.Thk God they went for it! The level of quality,fit,finish,fretwork,and playability is just off the charts and 2nd to none on my angel.View attachment 293654
Wow!

I got this a couple years ago. Not usually a fan of blue guitars with tops like this. I usually prefer a more subtle and simple look. But, the playability is off the charts. Easily the best playing guitar I have ever come across. The stainless frets make it feel like ice. The Anderson single coils sound great. The Humbucker sounds good as well, but have been pondering changing it for a while now. I have a second degree black belt or a thornbucker 2 I might put in. I scored a killer deal on an Ibanez j custom last year and I didn’t think any guitar could play more effortless than that, but this one does. Wish I still had a Charvel I used to own as that also played amazing. This guitar sounds great with high gain or cleans. I just wish it was a little more subtle looking.

The pic makes it look more blue than it really is, the god damn iPhone seems to produce inaccurate pictures.

Anyone else playing an Angel? What do you think of yours?

I added a pic of the type of J custom it dethroned as best playing guitar.

What's the actual color on the TA?

I LOVE Anderson guitars, however 88% of them are not my taste and half of those are straight gaudy. I had this Lil Angel spec'd

TA's are amazing. I love their pickups too, I have the H3 (or 3+) or HF3 (or 3+) pickups in about 8 of my guitars. The HF has a little more treble bite than the H, but both sound great.

Mike, looks like you have the HF series in your guitar, you can tell by the HF having small poles where the H series have large fat pole pieces.

Absolutely! They almost play themselves. I give very little effort to navigating the fretboard with my Honey; she lives to be played!
I'm a stickler for low action,almost dead straight necks,and nice playability. I've had my angels' action well below 1/16" @ the 12th fret with yet still no fret buzz! Unbelievable. I actually had to raise the action some for once.

I'm a stickler for low action,almost dead straight necks,and nice playability. I've had my angels' action well below 1/16" @ the 12th fret with yet still no fret buzz! Unbelievable. I actually had to raise the action some for once.
I'm with you in getting the action as low as possible with no buzz. Too low, though, can result in making Boomer Bends problematic.

:m17:

TA's are amazing. I love their pickups too, I have the H3 (or 3+) or HF3 (or 3+) pickups in about 8 of my guitars. The HF has a little more treble bite than the H, but both sound great.

Mike, looks like you have the HF series in your guitar, you can tell by the HF having small poles where the H series have large fat pole pieces.
Hf1+ bridge and sf1 mid and neck.

Yes, it’s crazy how well they play!!

Hf1+ bridge and sf1 mid and neck.
OK. I'd normally have that as a neck pickup, probably low power for the bridge. HF3 or HF3+ would be more aggressive and angry sounding in the bridge. I've never tried an HF1 or H1 in the bridge though, but they are good in the neck.

I like the Tom Anderson Angel guitars, but am not a fan of green finishes of any kind and I would have ordered a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge with the fine tuners & locking nut. Other than that, they look/sound/play great as well. I would have to go visit an Anderson dealer to try out the Angel guitar line for myself.

Back