BEWARE OF SIMS CUSTOM GUITARS!

I think this thread has shown the deal. Good looking work if/when it gets done. My body got done and looked great but took too long and at one point I thought I was out a body. And at the end he was a dick. Like...total unprofessional dick. I also can't speak to durability since mine is not that old. I can say that a good frowning will leave swirl marks on mine. I don't know what that means. We'll see what it looks like in 10 years. Just...do better.

Well, you're a saint! After being jerked around by this guy, and getting the paint specs wrong... Impressive!

So, you got him to complete the guitar and ship it back to you. Do you have any advise for others as to how to finesse your communications with him, such that it increases the chances of getting him to return a guitar?
I simply try to communicate with him not getting mad but trying to explain how important the guitar is to me. I also don't give him anything but the body to refinish. I put the guitar together when it is done. You also need to understand that he is one person working on a lot of guitars. I am sure that he most likely didn't work on my body till the last min but I just wanted it done right with in the time frame he quoted. My brother in law made guitars {DP Bass} so I know that this type of work takes time. I paid up front with a credit card over the phone. I also communicated thru Facebook Messenger so I would have everything documented and everything was clear on what progress was being made.

Submit a report to ic3.org (U.S. Internet Criminal Computer Crimes dept), which will direct the report to the FBI, IRS, or any other institutions that they deem appropriate. If you've done business with him from out of state, then it's a Federal case of mail fraud. A number of complaints to IC3.org may compel them to act.

Last edited:
I have found some "artists" (this nomenclature used when professional painter doesn't apply) will live the life of Riley doing whatever they want whenever they want and do actual work sporadically and in manic mode trying to catch up. It's the whole "I'll get to it tomorrow" mentality. The same flaky mentality that can be used to describe an "artist". The "artist" will always try to make you feel like your lucky they even took the time to consider gracing your guitar with their work.

On the other hand,the pro painter will make you feel like they are happy you trust them with your baby. Pro painters work a regular 9 to 5 plus overtime to provide a pro experience for their customers. Dan Lawrence, Mike Learn and others of note have proven this time and again and have loyal customers that come back again and again. Sims has a shaky reputation. That's enough for me to look towards the go-to guys,regardless of the price.

I have used a couple of "artists" before. My white whale guitar has languished in "shitty paintjob" hell since 2010. I can't stand to even look at it. I hope to soon bring her back to life but will never trust another "artist" again. I want a professional to do a professional job and act professional. Is that too much to ask?

I have found some "artists" (this nomenclature used when professional painter doesn't apply) will live the life of Riley doing whatever they want whenever they want and do actual work sporadically and in manic mode trying to catch up. It's the whole "I'll get to it tomorrow" mentality. The same flaky mentality that can be used to describe an "artist". The "artist" will always try to make you feel like your lucky they even took the time to consider gracing your guitar with their work.

On the other hand,the pro painter will make you feel like they are happy you trust them with your baby. Pro painters work a regular 9 to 5 plus overtime to provide a pro experience for their customers. Dan Lawrence, Mike Learn and others of note have proven this time and again and have loyal customers that come back again and again. Sims has a shaky reputation. That's enough for me to look towards the go-to guys,regardless of the price.

I have used a couple of "artists" before. My white whale guitar has languished in "shitty paintjob" hell since 2010. I can't stand to even look at it. I hope to soon bring her back to life but will never trust another "artist" again. I want a professional to do a professional job and act professional. Is that too much to ask?
Thank you for this! Add Pat Wilkins of Southern California to that list.

Thank you for this! Add Pat Wilkins of Southern California to that list.
The good list, I hope? Pat did stellar work for me with my ‘resurrected’ 84 Charvel (parted out neck/body). It took a little longer but he has another local guy close to him do the pre paint woodwork (my guitar needed the Kahler route filled, and re cut for a Floyd). Maybe a month longer than expected but he did a great job.

I'll second Learn & Lawrence as pros & solid guys, and Wilkins did an outstanding job for me on a figured body as well.
I DID (as did a bunch of others) get screwed over by an 80's name famous for his graphics that recently passed.

So many "personalities" in this music business.

Last edited:
Title of the thread says it all. BEWAR OF SIMS CUSTOM GUITARS!

I started a custom build a year ago and wanted a professional finish. I real all the reviews on line and Pat Sims, Sims Custom Guitars https://www.simscustomshop.com/guitars-parts-for-sale/sims-custom-shop-guitars/ Was at the top of the list. The work this guy does is nothing short of amazing Reviews were positive and said ‘just be patient.’

I emailed with Pat a year ago last October and he replied very promptly. We mapped out exactly what I wanted and he quoted a price just over $700.00. We even talked on the phone a couple of times. Pat said it would be 3 months to get the job done. I paid in full last October and the guitar body was delivered on November 3 a year ago. I have confirmation of delivery and Pat himself acknowledged delivery.

By February of this year, having not heard from him, I reached out to see how the project was coming. He said it was ‘almost ready to ship.’ Weeks went by. No guitar. No communication. I reached out again. He said it was ‘almost done and would ship soon.’ Weeks went by. No guitar. No communication. I reached out again. No reply. I reached out again. No reply. I filed a BBB complaint against him. He never replied. His FB Page (here: https://www.facebook.com/SimsCustomShopGuitars) Shows beautiful guitars going out every day to their excited owners. I have FB Messaged him over and over. No reply.

I have sent messages asking, begging, DEMANDING, that he just send the (probably bare wood) body to me and keep the goddam $700.00 he stole for the paint job. I’m ready to just bathe the body in Butcher Block Oil and play the dam thing. Of course, he has not replied.

This dude is a straight up THIEF. YES - the work he does is beautiful. But he is a THIEF! Deal with this guy at your own peril. I’m out close to a grand between the cost of the body and the paint job. I will survive. That doesn’t make it O.K.
He kept my bass for 1 year. Told me 13 weeks. I threatened a lawsuit. He kept telling me almost done.... after the lawsuit threat I recieved it back with a "Eh? Finish) up close I can see finish flaws. I am so disappointed. I wish I had trusted someone else with my #1 instrument

Condolences. He’s a straight-up, malignant narcissist, with a fragile ego. He props it up with inflated, delusional views of himself and his superiority over any other guitar painter that’s ever lived. (It’s actually pathetic, and really difficult to listen to, without saying anything to disrupt his delusions. As you know, he’ll become combative at the slightest bit of criticism.)

He’s also a compulsive liar. Don’t believe anything he says regarding any progress on your project. He’ll not even be started, and promise you that the clear coat is curing. If you ask for a photo, he’ll say sure, and never send anything.

As many people (victims) have said: stay away!!!

Reactions: PDC
Back