Divine Intervention is the best Slayer album

It’s time to admit it man
Yeah man, what's not to love?

- from the tone knob on zero guitar tone
- to the shit production
- to the huge step down in lead playing compared to Seasons
- to being the first Slayer album to blatantly regurgitate the Slayer formula
- to being the first Slayer album not to have their signature chaotic lively feel as far as the interaction of the musicians goes
- to the beginning of Araya's less than inspired vocal performances. From here on out he enunciated every word the same most of the time
- to being the first Slayer album not to spawn any classics. It has a few good songs but no classics.

Yeah, it's fuckin' great :D

That tired me out. Maybe I'll get to chapter 2 later...

Yeah man, what's not to love?

- from the tone knob on zero guitar tone
- to the shit production
- to the huge step down in lead playing compared to Seasons
- to being the first Slayer album to blatantly regurgitate the Slayer formula
- to being the first Slayer album not to have their signature chaotic lively feel as far as the interaction of the musicians goes
- to the beginning of Araya's less than inspired vocal performances. From here on out he enunciated every word the same most of the time
- to being the first Slayer album not to spawn any classics. It has a few good songs but no classics.

Yeah, it's fuckin' great :D

That tired me out. Maybe I'll get to chapter 2 later...
I would actually say Dittohead is now a classic (at least I really like it) but I can’t think of one other song off the album that I have in rotation. Pretty much I can listen to everything from Show No Mercy through to South of Heaven, all the way through, no skips. Most of Seasons but some skips creep in. After that it’s one or two songs tops of the remaining discography and really nothing, if I’m honest, after Diabolus. Something about Tom’s voice got really boring for me. Too much screaming and not enough dynamics maybe.
I don’t listen to anything from God Hates Us all onwards. I’ve heard the stuff but it didn’t make it in the rotation. Makes me wonder if even Metallica had kept up with Metal, after Justice, would it have made a difference and they too would have slipped into a lot of skips. Not many heavy bands really sustain the magic once they start having families, the angry young man isn’t there anymore and the business and touring side of things become a real job/grind and not an adventure. Especially when they get sober.

One thing I'll give Slayer, when they start chugging on the low E string and hitting those chords shaped like Em down low, they sound like no one else. That tone that comes through on those chords down low is totally their own and no one else sounds like that. They've been able to maintain that sound over the years. That, and their chaotic chromatic stuff, they have their own sound that I've never heard anyone copy.

Also, this song does rock.

I would actually say Dittohead is now a classic (at least I really like it) but I can’t think of one other song off the album that I have in rotation. Pretty much I can listen to everything from Show No Mercy through to South of Heaven, all the way through, no skips. Most of Seasons but some skips creep in. After that it’s one or two songs tops of the remaining discography and really nothing, if I’m honest, after Diabolus. Something about Tom’s voice got really boring for me. Too much screaming and not enough dynamics maybe.
I don’t listen to anything from God Hates Us all onwards. I’ve heard the stuff but it didn’t make it in the rotation. Makes me wonder if even Metallica had kept up with Metal, after Justice, would it have made a difference and they too would have slipped into a lot of skips. Not many heavy bands really sustain the magic once they start having families, the angry young man isn’t there anymore and the business and touring side of things become a real job/grind and not an adventure. Especially when they get sober.
Agreed 90%. What you call skips I call filler tracks, but yeah, our outlooks on this are pretty similar. Slayer had something really special on the first four albums with each one sounding completely different. Seasons wasn't quite as innovative but I feel it's high points surpassed that of South's best tracks so it definitely deserves it's ranking as essential Slayer.

Reign In Blood is my favorite with South Of Heaven right on its bumper

Ditto in reverse order. To tell the truth, it's more of a tie between the two. Season In The Abyss right behind. I still vividly remember the first time I heard the South Of Heaven opening riff. It completely blew my mind !!

Divine Intervention is far behind. Dave Lombardo isn't even there. It's not proper Slayer for me.

While all the purists will certainly point to Reign In Blood as their finest hour, I would ask that we consider Season In The Abyss. It was still plentry heavy, but showed a greater diversity of tempo and song structure. It also had actual hooks, which is a raity in that genre. Just my thoughts. And as an aside: don's sleep on God Hates Us All. Incredibley aggressive and flat out rageful record, start to finish.

Ditto in reverse order. To tell the truth, it's more of a tie between the two. Season In The Abyss right behind. I still vividly remember the first time I heard the South Of Heaven opening riff. It completely blew my mind !!

Divine Intervention is far behind. Dave Lombardo isn't even there. It's not proper Slayer for me.
The drums are awesome. Look I’m a huge fan . I just think it’s a perfect album

Back