ESP experts come on in

xzyryabx

I came across a guitar that is labelled as a prototype on the headstock under the SN.
I have never seen this before and not sure if legit?
Other than that the guitar seems genuine....but with the prevalence of knock-offs these days I'm a bit concerned
Here's a pic of the headstock
00R0R_2HaW6Psk8Xa_600x450.jpg

My only question is why would it have a serial number if it were a prototype? Don't most prototype guitars have no serial number, if anything on the back of the headstock?

About two years ago I know they sent out pics of the 2018 prototypes. Maybe it's one of those. I think it was the EC line and they removed the name on the 12th fret.

glip22":1gqs4sr5 said:
About two years ago I know they sent out pics of the 2018 prototypes. Maybe it's one of those. I think it was the EC line and they removed the name on the 12th fret.

You may be on to something, no logo on the 12th fret on this one either.
But they don't make any ESP branded standard series anymore and they are all E-IIs right?

I actually contacted ESP and this was their initial response (I'll update when I they respond to my second email "We do have record of this serial number as a 2019 E-II Arrow, built in mid 2018. While I have not seen this designation on older ESP prototypes or samples, it is very possible that this was added this year for future models. Would you mind sending some photographs so we can visually confirm this? "

How's the "ESP" logo look? Any lifting or bubbles or any signs it was re-done?

SS usually always means Standard Series... I have seen a couple of ESP Customs with the SS-serial numbers... but these are very few in number and only usually in Japan. Never seen any in hand or up close. All the MIJ "Original Series" Arrows should have the serial number starting with EXXXX2 ending with a #2 and the world map logo on the back of the headstock.

I'd be cautious.

Wizard of Ozz":mf9l3xvf said:

SS usually always means Standard Series... I have seen a couple of ESP Customs with the SS-serial numbers... but these are very few in number and only usually in Japan. Never seen any in hand or up close. All the MIJ "Original Series" Arrows should have the serial number starting with EXXXX2 ending with a #2 and the world map logo on the back of the headstock.

I'd be cautious.

Yeh something is off....especially given that ESP customer service said that the serial was assigned to an E-II not ESP. Gonna wait for their second response before I think about checking it out in person.
If it is a legit prototype, would you expect it to be of pretty much the same quality as a production unit? In other words, is there any point in getting this as opposed to a standard commercial model?

xzyryabx":13qlkznr said:
Wizard of Ozz":13qlkznr said:

I'd be cautious.

Yeh something is off....especially given that ESP customer service said that the serial was assigned to an E-II not ESP. Gonna wait for their second response before I think about checking it out in person.
If it is a legit prototype, would you expect it to be of pretty much the same quality as a production unit? In other words, is there any point in getting this as opposed to a standard commercial model?

I'd say yes for it being of the same quality +/-. It's nice if it has the legit "ESP" logo (not an after-market added ESP logo) and is confirmed by ESP in Japan. Otherwise, I'd pass on it (and the I'm assuming up-charge for the "prototype sticker") and just buy an E-II current production run Arrow. It's not a special Custom Shop one-off or some Artist relations build etc.

These are such killer axes (just the regular production E-II Arrow) and look amazing too. Love the specs on these.

:thumbsup:

Back