Gassin for a Mesa Roadster...not really sure why?

King Crimson":68c2r393 said:
kannibul":68c2r393 said:
Gassin for a Mesa Roadster...not really sure why?
Most likely because all the other amps that you had didn't make you a better player...maybe you'll find your magic wand in the toadster. :confused:

I guess the difference here is that I know I suck.

:D

Well, I cancelled the order. Why - you might ask?

Sense got the better of me. I could have a large debt mostly paid off with buying the amp by the end of April. I could have it totally gone +/- a bit should I not get the amp.

With the amp not even being in stock until Feb...I realized that was only 2 months difference...

So...why not kill the debt a bit more, and get it later...lol

:doh:

Or buy one used and save even more! :D

Jeff, give me a week or two to get more amps and cabs put up in the mancave and you can come by... I think if you hear the rackmount I have your interest will switch from roadster to old rackmount head. :D You still have the JVM, right? What are you looking for in the roadster that the JVM can't do? If it's the mesa modern tone, get a old rackmount and when you get tired of it and flip it you won't lose money, you may even make a few bucks depending on your buy in price.

Or I'll let you put the Bogner Uber and Ecstasy through their paces and see what you think... I prefer the rackmount over the Uber, but some people really dig the Uber for the same thing the Mesas cover. You could get a used Uber for less than the roadster also.

Pete

stratotone":1u20zz9f said:
Or buy one used and save even more! :D

Jeff, give me a week or two to get more amps and cabs put up in the mancave and you can come by... I think if you hear the rackmount I have your interest will switch from roadster to old rackmount head. :D You still have the JVM, right? What are you looking for in the roadster that the JVM can't do? If it's the mesa modern tone, get a old rackmount and when you get tired of it and flip it you won't lose money, you may even make a few bucks depending on your buy in price.

Or I'll let you put the Bogner Uber and Ecstasy through their paces and see what you think... I prefer the rackmount over the Uber, but some people really dig the Uber for the same thing the Mesas cover. You could get a used Uber for less than the roadster also.

Pete

The Ecstasy is an amp on my list, ever since I heard that one at Brent's place. Same with the XTC Classic - both versions of that amp are pure sex to the ears.

As for the mesa, well, I dunno...truth be told...I think it's more that I'm looking for a change of pace - Marshall's great, but it doesn't quite do the Mesa thing all to well - just Modern Marshall, and MORE MODERN Marshall. It can't get that glassy-toned clean/edge of breakup that I think the Mesa would do much better. Then there's the sounds that recto's are known for, that I can't pull off with the Marshall.

As for the specifics of the Roadster vs a rackmount DR, or a DR/TR - it's 4 channels, and AFAIK, 1/2 are clones, and 3/4 are clones, with the exception of 2 having brit vs 1 having tweed. Two gainy channels that are clones of eachother is something I've been looking for. With the clean being like that I could dial in one tone, copy it to the other and just go with a bit of a grit boost.

All that said, I could hate the thing and think it sucks (though, at this moment I think that won't happen), and ship it back and only be out return shipping...which I can't do buying used. I have to list it, mess with buyers asking stupid questions, doing 20,000 shipping quotes (since I don't like ebay's shipping quote system), only to have someone not pay, or it not sell, and I'm out the fees. Then there's the paypal fees, which oddly also apply to shipping (so in a sense, you're paying paypal so you can ship it) and paypals wonderful hold funds feature...

<breath>

So, yeah...I'd love to come over when you get it all set up. :yes:

dfrattaroli":1euiagnb said:
Funny how 2 or 3 channels are OK but 4 is CRAZY. :confused:

The way the Roadster/Roadking is designed, they basically are a 2 channel amp with both the clean and dirty channels duplicated with some additional switching/voicing options to give each a slightly different flavor, just imo. :)

Back