A confession....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Music&Chaos
  • Start date Start date
The vid @Music&Chaos posted is outstanding as well, that’s like RIGHT where it’s at for me. I like enough treble in there that there’s some sting to be felt if one wants to bite.
Yep, although I wouldn't be surprised he had treble bleed caps in Greeny back then. At least, that's my experience with rolling back the volume on a Les Paul with a treble bleed cap; it does that trebly, plingy thing and I probably have them in 85-90% of my guitars, because I don't like the dullness if I'm rolling back the volume.

And of course the amp circuit works wonders here too... Marshall-like ones seem to work better with that.
 
Man, when Gary released Still got the Blues that song was EVERYWHERE. Even the Metal/Hair Metal stations had it on rotation.
My father and I would go out on weekends guitar store shopping and it would be on the radio on all the stations.
Come out from shopping and get in the truck and it would be on the radio again.
Never heard a song get so much play as that one did.. incredible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
one of the greats!



his corridors-victims strat era was my fave but the guy could burn on a paul no doubt.

always been a big fan and had his first solo album recorded in his lizzy/les paul era, which had a cover that looked kinda like it was taken during this photo shoot

IMG_6678.jpeg

but the picture was different. got rid of all my albums when i left cali so can’t check…



sykes, vivian, randy definitely took some stuff from gary
 
Oh, I’ll probably ruffle some feathers here, but I actually just put some Gary Moore on my phone last week to dig on at the dog park. I’ve heard so much about this dude’s playing and particularly his tone but never dug on it myself.



Am I missing something here? Playing is fantastic, dude needs no defense there, but that tone sounds like a Digitech 2101, or maybe a Quadraverb GT.



While I found this MUCH better without that horrid chorus, I can’t say this moved the needle all that much for me, I dunno if this was his SLO era, but it just sounds like a Les Paul into a Marshall with too much dirt to me. Like, of course that shit is going to sustain like that, listen to how much fucking distortion is on it!

Or is a thing where his studio work isn’t the stuff I’m supposed to pay attention to? Again, I’ve got no gripes with his playing and totally dig all of it and understand why others do, but the tone I’m just dumbfounded on.

The early stuff is heavier more rockin. One of the few guys that gets heavyier strat tones that I like. Later 80’s he tried being pop Journey then ultimately doing the blues thing. I like the early stuff. Corridors of Power, Victims of the Future etc.

Look for the early 80’s stuff.




 
Back
Top