Grover Jackson talks about Wayne Charvel

Chubtone":2t5x3ble said:
psychodave":2t5x3ble said:
Does he use pre cut bodies and necks?

No. He has a CNC machine and cuts his own bodies and necks. He also cuts bodies and necks for some huge name manufacturers in the industry. Some want to make it well-known that they are using Grover for oem work. Others want it kept a secret. When I have visited his shop, I have seen identifiable bodies and necks stacked on tables, I was amazed at who he was building for including some companies charging $4-5k for guitars.
Hahahaha I wonder how many guys here have some of those 4-5K parts guitars....LMAO!

At least the Charvel pre pro 'parts guitars' hold their value....
:LOL: :LOL:

Chubtone":2tchx8c2 said:
psychodave":2tchx8c2 said:

No. He has a CNC machine and cuts his own bodies and necks. He also cuts bodies and necks for some huge name manufacturers in the industry. Some want to make it well-known that they are using Grover for oem work. Others want it kept a secret. When I have visited his shop, I have seen identifiable bodies and necks stacked on tables, I was amazed at who he was building for including some companies charging $4-5k for guitars.

Do tell.

When Grover said that "Boogie Bodies became Warmoth", he is simply uninformed. Became? Nope. The Warmoths (Paul Sr., Jr., and Ken) all left Boogie Bodies to start their own thing because Lynn Ellsworth was an asshole. Grover being a ghost-builder for a high end assembler is nothing new. The list of companies that have used Warmoth and USACG over the years for ghost-building is staggering. There's some pickup makers up here in the NW that also ghost-build for guitar assemblers. Ghost-building for parts makers pays the bills and then some.

I'm a big Charvel fan and didn't really think they shots were too low. I think there are people that make awesome gear and are very involved in the process and you probably never see those folks, or rarely. They make things and are trying to make musicians happy. Then there are folks that are involved in the process or are a name, and they really don't do much.

Without getting into any companies or names, we know who some of the hard workers are and who some of the lazy people are. You can look at the success of a company and get an idea of how much work is being put in. I'm not putting this person on the same level or trying to compare but look at Dave Friedman. He started out modding amps and even did a few years ago for some of us on the forum. Because of his vision and thinking outside the box, he has a line of amps, pedals, and coming up with some great ideas.

Being a "guitar guy" is great for a manufacturer. But it is a business and like any business you gotta stay relevant, know your customer base, etc. Some excel at that and some struggle.

Grover is the reason why EVH did not do a Official Charvel endorsement.
Grover was making "Van Halen models" without eddies permission(so he says? I really do not trust what EVH says!) and eddie got pissed because he told GJ to stop and he just kept selling them.
EVH said "i was considering endorsing them(Charvel) when wayne owned it.
This was in a few guitar magazine interviews he did over the years, but who knows the Real story?

Grover "may have" built Eddie's Black/yellow Charvel strat but Karl sandoval hand delivered it to him! Pictures dont lie or mis remember, but people do! :D

VHIIKarlSandoval.jpg

Why is Wayne being blamed for the black tape on the b/w striped Frankie? Common knowledge that Ed painted that guitar and put the tape on it. And I don't ever remember reading about or hearing Wayne claim anything that wasn't true. I don't get the bitterness over the guy having his own business making guitars with a shape and design that dozens of builders are using today. It's not like Wayne is building RR1's or Soloists.

Padre Bonic":6qqco4lg said:
Why is Wayne being blamed for the black tape on the b/w striped Frankie? Common knowledge that Ed painted that guitar and put the tape on it. And I don't ever remember reading about or hearing Wayne claim anything that wasn't true. I don't get the bitterness over the guy having his own business making guitars with a shape and design that dozens of builders are using today. It's not like Wayne is building RR1's or Soloists.
You would have to read about it to get the full story but in short it is not that wayne is building strat type guitars that pissed grover off but it is that he is building and selling his WAYNE line as the "Archetype" of the legend that is Charvel USA of the 80's and that is not true in any sense of the word.
Like grover said in that show wayne had nothing to do with Charvel's fame yet he takes credit for it.
He was not even there there after 1978.

charvelstrat81":19udjbr3 said:
Padre Bonic":19udjbr3 said:
You would have to read about it to get the full story but in short it is not that wayne is building strat type guitars that pissed grover off but it is that he is building and selling his WAYNE line as the "Archetype" of the legend that is Charvel USA of the 80's and that is not true in any sense of the word.
Like grover said in that show wayne had nothing to do with Charvel's fame yet he takes credit for it.
Not arguing with you here but do you have a reference where Wayne takes credit for all that is Charvel that diminishes Grover's role? Maybe he should have changed his name to Lipshitz after selling the company to Grover. All I can say is without Wayne Charvel I wouldn't have the incredible guitars that bear his name that have brought me a tremendous amount of joy.

Padre Bonic":i5404cly said:
charvelstrat81":i5404cly said:
Padre Bonic":i5404cly said:
All I can say is without Wayne Charvel I wouldn't have the incredible guitars that bear his name that have brought me a tremendous amount of joy.
My listening comprehension may suck, especially since I was listening while watching my three young boys, but what I took away from the conversation was that Wayne Charvel had absolutely nothing to do with your guitars that you have enjoyed.

danyeo":246u7g1l said:
Chubtone":246u7g1l said:
psychodave":246u7g1l said:

Do tell.

Friedman.

nevusofota":ro7xkq3s said:
Padre Bonic":ro7xkq3s said:
charvelstrat81":ro7xkq3s said:
Padre Bonic":ro7xkq3s said:
All I can say is without Wayne Charvel I wouldn't have the incredible guitars that bear his name that have brought me a tremendous amount of joy.
My listening comprehension may suck, especially since I was listening while watching my three young boys, but what I took away from the conversation was that Wayne Charvel had absolutely nothing to do with your guitars that you have enjoyed.
I don't agree with that totally though. Wayne had plenty to do with the "superstrat" becoming popular.

Padre Bonic":r7p87xiw said:
The real credit for me goes to the young guys like Mike Shannon,Mike Eldred,karl sandoval,
and others Grover hired to build them.
My two favorite Charvel necks were built and shaped by Mike Eldred and the neck to me is the most crucial part of a guitar. without those god like Charvel necks i would just have another super strat. :D

charvelstrat81":2l88xnpr said:
Padre Bonic":2l88xnpr said:
The real credit for me goes to the young guys like Mike Shannon,Mike Eldred,karl sandoval,
and others Grover hired to build them.
My two favorite Charvel necks were built and shaped by Mike Eldred and the neck to me is the most crucial part of a guitar. without those god like Charvel necks i would just have another super strat. :D
I'm not taking that credit away from those guys. All I'm saying is if Wayne hadn't opened his shop and got things rolling, we may not have seen any of these great guitars that have the Charvel name on them.

Back