How are all your amps set up?

Jccobb2

Jccobb2

Well-known member
Stacked on a cab, shelved? All connected at once, or stored and 1-2 out at a time? I only have 5-6 but it’s getting pretty crowded in my music area. I’d love to get a switcher and get all the cables routed behind a shelf. I move everything year or 2, so it’s impossible to get it set right and leave it alone.

Mine are in an Ikea shelf right now, pic is a bit dated but still how they’re organized.
IMG_3399.jpeg
 
Mine have covers on them, shoved outta the way, ready to haul to gigs. I never plug in at the house unless I'm testing new gear or mods, that costs money I don't have.

NICE goldfinger! I bet you wear some feathers in your hair when you power that baby on. Always wanted to try one, never seen one in person.
 
Some have been stored, but for the ones I use regularly I like to have them "ready to go" and stacked on the related cab(s) I use them with, as if it would be a live rig.
I like to run shortest cables as possible, including speaker cables. No real use for an amp switcher as a given amp usually is linked to a given / dedicated cab. If/when trying different cabs, I just switch speaker cables at the back.
 
I'm looking at building a shelf. I have 4 heads and a ZMACS. I just need to get it set up for the space that I have.

EDIT: How do you like that Era 30?
 
I actually love it. Probably not popular around here, but the cleans are about as good as you can get and the crunch is actually as good as you can get. The small improvements over an HC30 make it more of a keeper. The loop is what you’d expect from a modern amp, the master volume is very transparent, and it’s dead quiet. Being able to internally jump both channels together in phase is icing on the cake.

The matchless amps are great, this just brings that classic HC30 design into the 2020s. The OGs are loud, noisy, and the loop blows.
 
Mine have covers on them, shoved outta the way, ready to haul to gigs. I never plug in at the house unless I'm testing new gear or mods, that costs money I don't have.

NICE goldfinger! I bet you wear some feathers in your hair when you power that baby on. Always wanted to try one, never seen one in person.

Still don’t understand why the GFs aren’t more popular. They do look “different”, but they absolutely fuck.
 
Large angle photo of my small music room... Which is also my day office. Amps on shelves on both side of a height adjustable desk. I will roll the vertical 2x12 when I use it with one of my Mesa. I also have a Boss Waza Load on the white cart which I can move around if I needed it. As I don't have much room, I try to manage the space as much as possible.

1791048898729.png
 
Usually the gig rig is set up in the basement. The Victoria lives at church. The Synergy stuff is usually in the studio. Beyond that, just depends what's going on.
 
I actually love it. Probably not popular around here, but the cleans are about as good as you can get and the crunch is actually as good as you can get. The small improvements over an HC30 make it more of a keeper. The loop is what you’d expect from a modern amp, the master volume is very transparent, and it’s dead quiet. Being able to internally jump both channels together in phase is icing on the cake.

The matchless amps are great, this just brings that classic HC30 design into the 2020s. The OGs are loud, noisy, and the loop blows.

Thanks!
 
I have a Marshall amp corner in my living room where I have my 1959HW full stack, JCM 900 and JVM410 with a shared Marshall 4x12. In front of these I have an area that has one of a JTM 45, Origin 50C with extension cab, or Eng Artist edition with two Engl 2x12 cabs, or a three tier keyboard stand for synths and a line mixer when I use my old school wakeman keyboard rig.

To the left of this Marshall amp corner, I have a Crumar Mojo Suitcase organ with Hammond 30-note pedals and bench, and a Korg GrandStage X. which are part of the wakeman keyboard rig.

To the left of that I have a Yamaha Montage M8x on a rolling keyboard stand (or a Roland Fantom EX 6 that's usually in case; to make my modern rudess keyboard rig); behind M8x, I have a shelf with: a Bogner Helios Eclipse with a speaker cable to a Marshall 4x12 in the Marshall corner; a JP-2C and pair of Mesa Compact 2x12 cabs; a Diezel VHX with speaker cables to connect to the Mesa cabs. to the right of this shelf is a Marshall DSL40CR on an amp stand.

I have painters tape notes over my amp heads' inputs if they don't have speaker cabs attached to avoid accidents.

To the right of my Marshall corner is a computer desk with nearfield studio monitors, and a pair of powered 8" PA cabs I use for modelers.

To the right of my desk is a Vox Continental 61 key stage organ, with a 61 key MIDI keyboard to approximate a Super Continental, it has a dedicated Universal Audio Ruby (Vox amp simulator) and Eventide H9.

To the right of the Vox, I have a Hammond A-3 with 30 note pedals..

To the right of the A-3, I have a table with a mixer, and several semi modular synths including a Behringer 2600, Poly-D, Odyssey and modular System 55. Under the table I have a pair of powered 18" subs...above the table I have 2 sets of powered PA cabs, 2 2x10s, and 2 2x15s, with a three piece samurai sword set on a stand (katana, wakizashi, tanto) in between the left and right cabs.

Other gear is in my bedroom and my son's room. I can basically get to most things I use most often easily; things I use less often, just need a few things to be moved. Things I use less frequently are on shelves or in cases, and take a little more effort to make room to use.

I'm out of space and surrounded by gear.
 
I have 2 setups. One is in the home studio. Working on getting land to have a studio I can actually run these amps where they deserve. Every amp can be routed to any cab including the combo cabs with or without the ps100 inline via the deslisle switcher. One of the “speaker cabs” I can route the amps to is a ReactIr 2 for going direct via IR for late night stuff. Love that ReactIr.



Other setup is in a separate location. Mainly centered around the rack. 4 main input choices which are the 2 rack preamps plus a 3 monkeys Jose preamp. 4th slot is the guest slot which could be the Rivera preamp or any other amp head knocked down to line level with the ReactIr. The Rivera is the current power amp (it’s the S120 so 2 independent 60 watt power amps in that stereo head.) I have the avantone on order just to save tubes if I’m working at low volume and just practicing. That goes into the Mojotone Bogner OS sized cab they built to be stereo/mono for me that has old 80’s EV’s. Bassman cab has scumbacks for more straight ahead sounds.

One note about the pres, that CAE came back from John recently. I had originally sent it in just for routine maintenance but after some back and forth with John he asked if he could try some things. Of course I said yes. He said he revoiced it to be what he would make for himself today after all of his experience building and designing amps since the 3+ was originally built. When he was done he said he thinks it’s one of the best sounding pres he’s ever heard and he wished he could keep it for himself. It is truly awesome. A whole new take while still sounding like it came from Suhr. I hope he releases it in an amp so other people can try it. If push came to shove I could only have that preamp and ride into the sunset totally happy. It’s really great sounding on all 3 channels and is as responsive and touch sensitive as any other amp I have.

 
Back
Top