IF Egnater Made a Power Amp...

tlingen":3oqschy1 said:
Could this new amp be in production by summer NAMM if all the planets align :confused:

All I can say is, the planets have never aligned so don't plan on it happening for us. I mean he has had E2 for 2 years and well you guys know the story. This has more of me in it so things are happening much quicker. I am laying out the proto type this week on a big board, instead of a chassis, so I can mess with it.

Jeff Hilligan":31pdn5k5 said:
Ok so here is the blueprint for right now!

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Proto typing beginning this month! As you all know delivery will depend on Bruce blessing it and that is a difficult task to do! I am really behind this for M4 and of course the long overdue E2. Sit tight and I will keep everyone informed when they will be in production and when we will be taking orders.

Wow, with this - I may hold off on the thought of getting a Randall RM100. Plus, it has the ability to combine power tubes like the Randall!

Guys, I don't think you could use the E2 with this new power amp unless you also used the M4. However, I would think the M4/1U would be a great set up. I wouldn't need the E2 after all.

However, I will say there is a certain magic in the sound of a head over rack components to my ears.

richedie":3vga4myi said:
Jeff Hilligan":3vga4myi said:

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Proto typing beginning this month! As you all know delivery will depend on Bruce blessing it and that is a difficult task to do! I am really behind this for M4 and of course the long overdue E2. Sit tight and I will keep everyone informed when they will be in production and when we will be taking orders.

Wow, with this - I may hold off on the thought of getting a Randall RM100. Plus, it has the ability to combine power tubes like the Randall!

Guys, I don't think you could use the E2 with this new power amp unless you also used the M4. However, I would think the M4/1U would be a great set up. I wouldn't need the E2 after all.

However, I will say there is a certain magic in the sound of a head over rack components to my ears.

You can use the E2 with this new power amp for sure man. That's the point...use the E2 / 1U power amp...that's 2u's of space...damn small and flexibile rig!! You could also use a E2 / M4 / 1u power amp. That's 4u's of REALLY DAMN flexible rig!

Eric

aeroic":18cudloo said:
richedie":18cudloo said:
Jeff Hilligan":18cudloo said:

You can use the E2 with this new power amp for sure man. That's the point...use the E2 / 1U power amp...that's 2u's of space...damn small and flexibile rig!! You could also use a E2 / M4 / 1u power amp. That's 4u's of REALLY DAMN flexible rig!

Eric

Ohhhhhhh, so the E2 is like the M4. why have both then....why not just make the M4. I want one and not the Randall RM100 now.

Although like I said I sometimes hear a head as more organic and punchy compared to racks....but E2/1U would be great and I already have 4 modules ready to go. :)

E2 is a stand alone pre amp. It is really designed to do more than that. It also has a built in loop switcher which the M4 does not. You would have to buy one to do what the E2 does in one box.

E2/1U it is!

What will the cost of the E2 be?

How about weight on these? Heavy?

Being able to use a variety of tubes at once is key like the RM100.

I am thinking to have an OT to match that of the MOD 50, it would need two rack spaces.

THANKS Jeff!

Jeff Hilligan":1xeq1jm0 said:
This will be a USA build and not available in GC only our independents. Price range who knows but I am shooting for no more than $1000 retail. The more simple it is the cheaper we can make it for on the retail side. The more stuff you guys want the higher the cost. :thumbsup:

Jeff,

I've just finished reading the thread, and it sounds like a true winner to me! I think your idea of price point is dead on. My understanding of the market matches what yours is—portable is the way to go, cheaper is the way to go—focus on quality not on being the "everything box." People looking for an everything box will likely go digital anyway.

And if it takes a while, that's okay, I need a while to save up anyway... ;)

Take care,
Orren

Jeff - I would be surprised to see you get it in a one rack space package
Partly because an EL34 only just fits in a 1u gap and some of the other larger tubes wouldn't fit
Also transformers for a 50w power amp traditionally are of a larger size

Happy to stand corrected and it will be a joy to see anyway (and I'll want one), but I can't visualise it happening in a 1u size

felineguitars":2hy0ktw8 said:
Jeff - I would be surprised to see you get it in a one rack space package
Partly because an EL34 only just fits in a 1u gap and some of the other larger tubes wouldn't fit
Also transformers for a 50w power amp traditionally are of a larger size

Happy to stand corrected and it will be a joy to see anyway (and I'll want one), but I can't visualise it happening in a 1u size

I'm assuming they'll have to use a toroidal transformer to fit it in 1U, and be a high performing power amp.

Eric

richedie":17j0g4a7 said:
Is the toroidal transformer small? I just hope it would have the punch of their other amps.

It's a different transformer design. Bruce has used a toroidal transformer in the Tourmaster head / combos...and if my memory serves me correctly he used on in the IE4 preamp. I vaguely remember from Gene's photos a toroidal transformer.

Honestly guys, I don't see anything sub par being sent from the the Eggie shop. If there are heat issues, tone issues, etc etc, I GUARANTEE you Egnater won't release it, and will start from scratch. I've not been disappointed in anything Bruce / Jeff has released to date.

Eric

aeroic":3rrpzcxv said:
richedie":3rrpzcxv said:
Is the toroidal transformer small? I just hope it would have the punch of their other amps.

It's a different transformer design. Bruce has used a toroidal transformer in the Tourmaster head / combos...and if my memory serves me correctly he used on in the IE4 preamp. I vaguely remember from Gene's photos a toroidal transformer.

Honestly guys, I don't see anything sub par being sent from the the Eggie shop. If there are heat issues, tone issues, etc etc, I GUARANTEE you Egnater won't release it, and will start from scratch. I've not been disappointed in anything Bruce / Jeff has released to date.

Eric
:thumbsup: And it will be a non GC thing,I repeat non GC :D

Ever seen low profile trannies in certain power conditioners and fx processors?

They don't have to be small or toroidal. They can be flat and wide, and be of the same spec.

sp_txlowprofile.gif

ins_txlowprofile_02.gif

BTW, here is where Bruce found the winning trannie.

http://www.schumachercorp.com/low_profi ... ormers.asp

aeroic":c1gk7kgb said:
I'm assuming they'll have to use a toroidal transformer to fit it in 1U, and be a high performing power amp.

Eric

That's the thing, it won't! There will be a squashed standard transformer, no toroidal one. Transformer makes half the sound, so this is a critical component.

It will come from a maker with a similar name to a very famous German formula 1 racing driver :LOL: :LOL:

hunter":12ozfsut said:
aeroic":12ozfsut said:

Eric

That's the thing, it won't! There will be a squashed standard transformer, no toroidal one. Transformer makes half the sound, so this is a critical component.

It will come from a maker with a similar name to a very famous German formula 1 racing driver :LOL: :LOL:

see above post.

and BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with Toroidal trannies. TOL Mica 100, IE4, Soldano X99, CAE 3+, they all sounded fine to me.

guitarslinger":3ee43ukf said:
hunter":3ee43ukf said:
aeroic":3ee43ukf said:

Eric

see above post.

and BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with Toroidal trannies. TOL Mica 100, IE4, Soldano X99, CAE 3+, they all sounded fine to me.

I totally agree with you Gene. If designed properly, there will be no problems. And I have 100% faith in Bruce / Jeff to design an amazing power amp. Like I said..if there is tonal compromise...they'll scrap the idea for sure. They aren't gonna put out a power amp that sounds like dog poo just to have a 1U power amp out there. They want to smoke the competition with their power amp...and oh btw...it happens to be small and in a 1U footprint. Tone is always #1 with these guys.

Eric

it will not be a toroid. It is what is called a flat pack. Both the OT and PT. They are 1.5 inches tall and about 3 wide. No one we have approached wanted to do this, except for Schumacher.
As everyone has stated if it sucks I will junk it. We used the OT in a MOD 50 and it sounded great!

Back