IF Egnater Made a Power Amp...

Not that I don't trust your insight ;), and you're probably right, but I was hoping for something more definitive from Bruce or Ian (or Jeff?), rather than merely the death of this thread 2-1/2 years ago. I believe there is another thread on this topic from 2010 as well; and I think Bruce said in that thread that the amp wasn't shelved, it was just moved toward the bottom of the priority list (I could be wrong there). I figure 1-1/2 years later we're justified in asking for some sort of an update . . . :gethim:

;)

HughJasol":35h2rz1k said:
Not that I don't trust your insight ;), and you're probably right, but I was hoping for something more definitive from Bruce or Ian (or Jeff?), rather than merely the death of this thread 2-1/2 years ago. I believe there is another thread on this topic from 2010 as well; and I think Bruce said in that thread that the amp wasn't shelved, it was just moved toward the bottom of the priority list (I could be wrong there). I figure 1-1/2 years later we're justified in asking for some sort of an update . . . :gethim:

;)

I see your point, and agree with it, actually. I too would love to see something based on the power section of the Mod50. :thumbsup:

As of right now, there is no power amp in the works. I'm not saying there will never be, but don't expect to see one at NAMM or anything. Working on lots of other fun stuff though.

Ian Egnater":2tqgxqmv said:
As of right now, there is no power amp in the works. I'm not saying there will never be, but don't expect to see one at NAMM or anything. Working on lots of other fun stuff though.
Thanks for the update Ian . . . I guess now I won't worry about that one for a while! :LOL: :LOL: . . . Now if only there were some better news you could reveal about the E2 ;) . . .

I'm sure designing a good sounding power in one rackspace has to be difficult, so I wonder if a 2 space chassis with only two modular slots and a power amp built in would be easier. Bruce could use larger, proven components. Basically, take what he's already designed of the E2 and the 1sp poweramp and put them both together in one 2sp chassis. To hell with the supposed midi issues of the E2, just use latching switching like the two 1/4" TRS on the Renegade, which would give you access to 4 channels. Maybe even have a 3rd TRS 1/4" on the back for enabling the send & return of a loop, and enabling a boost. If they want midi, then advise buyers to purchase an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo.

With 6 function switches, Bruce could even use the same metal footswitch chassis that he uses for the Tourmaster footswitch..

Switch 1 - Slot 1A
Switch 2 - Slot 1B
Switch 3 - Slot 2A
Switch 4 - Slot 2B
Switch 5 - Loop
Switch 6 - Boost

Attachments

• tourmasterfootswitch.jpg
    tourmasterfootswitch.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,532
Klark":ujk2lvar said:
I'm sure designing a good sounding power in one rackspace has to be difficult, so I wonder if a 2 space chassis with only two modular slots and a power amp built in would be easier. Bruce could use larger, proven components. Basically, take what he's already designed of the E2 and the 1sp poweramp and put them both together in one 2sp chassis. To hell with the supposed midi issues of the E2, just use latching switching like the two 1/4" TRS on the Renegade, which would give you access to 4 channels. Maybe even have a 3rd TRS 1/4" on the back for enabling the send & return of a loop, and enabling a boost. If they want midi, then advise buyers to purchase an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo.

With 6 function switches, Bruce could even use the same metal footswitch chassis that he uses for the Tourmaster footswitch..

Switch 1 - Slot 1A
Switch 2 - Slot 1B
Switch 3 - Slot 2A
Switch 4 - Slot 2B
Switch 5 - Loop
Switch 6 - Boost
That actually seems like a really neat idea. You could always slap something like that in some sort of headshell, if you didn't want to go rack. Best of either world, I'd say.

mboogman":1pm3jcy5 said:
That actually seems like a really neat idea. You could always slap something like that in some sort of headshell, if you didn't want to go rack. Best of either world, I'd say.
Exactly! The RM22 from Randall is cool, but it's wimpy and doesn't rack mount. A ~50 watt mono EL34/6L6 power section with two modular slots would be excellent. If you need stereo, then you buy a separate dual channel power amp for some wet cabs and keep the Egnater 50 tube for your dry center.

I would do a 3 or 4 space like the picture below, add TC G-Major II, and have an awesome sounding, super versatile, compact rig.

Attachments

• IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,527
I like that - basically an E2 with integrated power amp in a 2U rack space unit. That would alleviate all the concerns of trying to cram EL34s into a 1U power amp. :yes:

HughJasol":3v5d4s3t said:
an E2 with integrated power amp in a 2U rack space unit. That would alleviate all the concerns of trying to cram EL34s into a 1U power amp.
Exactly! :thumbsup:

Just a gut feeling (I know, :loco:) . . . but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this is already in the works at Egnater.

Back