If you were going to purchase a Kemper, AXEFX, or Synergy gear…

Thanks man, good to hear. I think this would make a killer backup option, although if it does sound as good as the Helix/AXEII I’ll def gig with it. I’ve got some great gear and to be able to call up even decent facsimiles would be badass. I have a Waza TAE, would that suffice?

I used to say the same about the feel but I got trapped in an apt/low volume situation for a while and you just get used to it. After a few months of playing daily through studio monitors it was no prob going direct on stage and working off a decent full range monitor. But yeah, it does take some getting used to.
The TAE should work well. I play mine through a Fryette PS-1, but it sounds great through my friend's Duncan PowerStage 170, too. I had the FM3 for about a year and a half and it sounded great. I could get some really convincing sounds out of it and I actually sold two tube amps because of it, but I just didn't find it fun to use. Even though I could get a better sound out of it, for silent practice, I almost always just plugged headphones into my Vypyr 60, because the FM3 just wasn't as satisfying to use. I didn't find the UI hard to manage, it was easy enough to get a good sound, it just wasn't inspiring to me to play that way.

I wish I could take this guy seriously, but I just can't make it through any of his videos. Guy always puts the gain up super high and then throws a boost on top of it. All his tones sound oversaturated and muddy 🤷‍♂️
respectfully decline. all he did was talk for 3/4 of the “review”.
the entire point and the benefit of a youtube demo is we get to hear gear vs. the neanderthal era of just reading a product review.
this whole genre has gone sideways. not ready for on camera personalities, ridiculous faces on the thumbnail with batman “pow” “zap” style graphics. if someone says game changer one more time trying to add sales hype to a review i will hurl.
rant over.

back to topic

have synergy-fast/easy and tubes

had fractal and would get again for fx

used kemper and profiling your own is highly recommended but it is an ordeal.

…what one would you go with, and why?
Helix primarily for FX headphone practice and quickly recording stuff because I can't get away from analog ss/tube/hybrid amps and NAM for profiling my own amps and using those in my DAW or ToneX pedal for profiling and using my profiled amps with a regular rig instead of a Kemper which is far more than I need or want. Synergy didn't have the balls to innovate the old Egnater/Randall platform which is a shame and I'll never buy anything Fractal again.

Last edited:
If a test is set up right there isn't anyone with the quality of the digital gear these days who could tell just by listening - except maybe an audiologist.
I'm something of an audiologist myself
something.JPG

I would be worried about anyone who took that guy seriously.

Attacking the messenger instead of the message, that is really dumb, sorry.

I wish I could take this guy seriously, but I just can't make it through any of his videos. Guy always puts the gain up super high and then throws a boost on top of it. All his tones sound oversaturated and muddy 🤷‍♂️

I do not like that kind of tone either. But if he says for example that you need a DAW and computer, buy an extra piece of hardware and that it is a slow proccess to make a capture that takes seconds with Quad Cortex alone, and still it has no effects or pedal captures in it. What his tone has anything to do with it?

Last edited:
I do not like that kind of tone either. But if he says for example that you need a DAW and computer, buy an extra piece of hardware and that it is a slow proccess to make a capture that takes seconds with Quad Cortex alone, and still it has no effects or pedal captures in it. What his tone has anything to do with it?
It's $1450 cheaper. Of course it has compromises vs the QC 🤦‍♂️

It's $1450 cheaper. Of course it has compromises vs the QC 🤦‍♂️

Add the computer, the DAW, that extra piece of hardware, the audio engineer, wasted time, the effects/pedals and it is more expensive for a much inferior product.

Also add the cost of paid profiles because it is unanimous that the presets and free profiles are horrible. I doubt the paid ones are much better , but who knows. ToneX simply sucks.

Last edited:
Add the computer, the DAW, that extra piece of hardware, the audio engineer, wasted time, the effects/pedals and it is more expensive for a much inferior product.

Also add the cost of paid profiles because it is unanimous that the presets and free profiles are horrible. I doubt the paid ones are much better , but who knows. ToneX simply sucks.
Almost everyone who would be interested in ToneX will already have those things, but I agree, if you don't - the value isn't there. ToneX Pedal does come with effects in it, though. Not to the extent of the QC, no, but enough for most players. However, if you only use it as a plugin, you can load profiles directly into Amplitube and use all the effects you want.

Also, there's a lot of great profiles on ToneNet for free, you just have to spend time looking for them. I'm sure the same can be said about the QC as well as Kemper, of which I know for a fact to be true. If the most important thing to you is the SOUND of the amp profile, ToneX delivers for a lot less money than the competition. It definitely does not suck, but clearly you are biased, considering your user name 🤦‍♂️

Almost everyone who would be interested in ToneX will already have those things, but I agree, if you don't - the value isn't there. ToneX Pedal does come with effects in it, though. Not to the extent of the QC, no, but enough for most players. However, if you only use it as a plugin, you can load profiles directly into Amplitube and use all the effects you want.

Not exactly. The product is advertised by Youtube and forum shills as a replacement for Quad Cortex or Kemper when it is really not.

For plug-in Bias FX 2 is way better and less expensive.

Not exactly. The product is advertised by Youtube and forum shills as a replacement for Quad Cortex or Kemper when it is really not.
Whereas the Quad Cortex that you're always defending was advertised by cancerous YouTube influencers AND Neural DSP as the replacement for Helix, Axe-FX, Kemper et cetera, as NDSP plugin hub and the next step in human evolution.. Well over 2 years later and NDSP are still screwing over their paying customers, still paying influencers to hype up their rehashed plugins and Quad Cortex still doesn't have the functionality that was promised from the get go. How about you stop being a brand loyalist and licking NDSP's boots? What did IK Multimedia even do that NDSP hasn't done for years to a far worse extent? If false advertising is your problem with ToneX which isn't even proven to be true you should be grilling NDSP and all the shitty influencers they're paying 24/7.

Almost everyone who would be interested in ToneX will already have those things, but I agree, if you don't - the value isn't there.
I mean, why would you even need a computer for the QC when the editor that was promised from the very beginning is still missing?

Having the editor mockup pics on the sweetwater page for years was way more profitable than actually delivering on that promise.

Last edited:
Whereas the Quad Cortex that you're always defending was advertised by cancerous YouTube influencers AND Neural DSP as the replacement for Helix, Axe-FX, Kemper et cetera, as NDSP plugin hub and the next step in human evolution.. Well over 2 years later and NDSP are still screwing over their paying customers, still paying influencers to hype up their rehashed plugins and Quad Cortex still doesn't have the functionality that was promised from the get go. How about you stop being a brand loyalist and licking NDSP's boots? What did IK Multimedia even do that NDSP hasn't done for years to a far worse extent? If false advertising is your problem with ToneX which isn't even proven to be true you should be grilling NDSP and all the shitty influencers they're paying 24/7.

NDSP's writing of checks their asses can't cash is a drop in the bucket in comparison to all the RMA'd units going back to Finland for repairs because they're randomly spitting out noise or bricking. Going to be a really interesting year with that company and I fully believe their lack of development is a result of poor management and their staff repairing units instead of developing them. Anyone can look at their Discord page, Unity forum or FB user groups and see it for themselves.

3 years into it and "the world's most powerful floor modeler" that ships with a laptop charger and requires an additional MIDI pedal to switch shit on the unit because the company has no fucking clue what they're doing. :ROFLMAO: Great marketing, though! Get the CEO to hand out promises and talk the unit up then immediately bail from social media once the unit starts shipping. (y)

Where did you read i have a Quad Cortex or any Neural DSP product? I do not own any.

Back