Mesa Boogie and Guitar Center

kalt

Just found out from a friend that is a manager at a guitar center that Mesa and Guitar Center are parting ways. Rumor has it that they'll be dealing on them. Not sure if its try but fairly reliable source.

It's probably just that one particular GC. There's always been talk of this for years but I still see Mesa's in most GC's.

Heard the same thing at GC Atlanta today. Mesa is not keeping up with the current metal trends and is too expensive in comparison to the ones that do. Of course they don't deal on price and sit in inventory quite a while.

Lots of MKV's sitting out.

danyeo":28x3391f said:
It's probably just that one particular GC. There's always been talk of this for years but I still see Mesa's in most GC's.
He said its all Guitar Centers and they are going to begin liquidating current stock. Again, just passing on what I heard but you may want to keep an eye out as there may be some good deals to be had.......

kalt":1of32bg1 said:
danyeo":1of32bg1 said:
He said its all Guitar Centers and they are going to begin liquidating current stock. Again, just passing on what I heard but you may want to keep an eye out as there may be some good deals to be had.......

I did grab a Royal Atlantic head last month for $1,000.

danyeo":2o7nv2tf said:
kalt":2o7nv2tf said:
danyeo":2o7nv2tf said:

I did grab a Royal Atlantic head last month for $1,000.

You seem like a choosy mother on tone..

What do you think of the RA?

The ATL GC had a pyramid of Mesa Gear in the front of the amp area. Sale tags on some stuff. Openly saying this is the last of the Mesa stuff they will have. When asked, the guy told me what I posted above.

I am guessing they will be selling more current, cheaper price point metal amps. Randall?

Apparently Mesa Boogie likes to be paid for products they deliver to stores and don't like to wait months and months and months for payment. The manufacturers have been propping up GC for a while now. They don't seem to remember what happened to Mars Music and that they all got shafted when that ship sunk.

I work at the one in Tampa and I was told as well that as a company we will no longer be carrying Mesa. Not sure why but I'm guessing the fact that there's next to zero profit and we can't work any deals on them doesn't help.

I saw this rumor on TGP and spoke to my guy at GC in Houston and he confirmed they're no longer going to carry Mesa stuff. I was disappointed when he told me no fire sale though. I was hoping to get a cheap RA-100 as well lol

Everyone knows about GC's financial trouble. If I were an amp company I wouldn't want a huge IOU out there for floor stock when the end comes. Smart business move by Mesa IMO.

BrokenFusion":f0o66wa4 said:
Everyone knows about GC's financial trouble. If I were an amp company I wouldn't want a huge IOU out there for floor stock when the end comes. Smart business move by Mesa IMO.

This.

Mesa does not want to take the hit on gear thats had "Master of Puppets" cranked through it at full volume continuously, out of tune, and in 5 second increments. :LOL: :LOL:

I think this points to a sadder bigger picture. There's just less and less younger guys out there buying music gear.

When someone goes out and buys a $1500 - $2000 guitar head they're making a serious investment. They're probably in a band looking to improve their sound and their bands sound. When a Mom buys a $300 Line 6 amp as a present chances are it will be collecting dust 2 months later.

What's next GC? DJ spin offs every month?

I heard it was because Guitar Center didn't want to have to stock the stuff that doesn't sell well, and having to stock Mesa's new pedal line or something like that.

If I was a Mesa dealer I wouldn't want to be forced to carry the models/products that didn't sell well either if it's true.

danyeo":ekgjukwj said:
I think this points to a sadder bigger picture. There's just less and less younger guys out there buying music gear.

When someone goes out and buys a $1500 - $2000 guitar head they're making a serious investment. They're probably in a band looking to improve their sound and their bands sound. When a Mom buys a $300 Line 6 amp as a present chances are it will be collecting dust 2 months later.

What's next GC? DJ spin offs every month?

I think it speaks to a couple of things. One is that guitar is just not in the prime spot in popular music. Most young guitarists I know are metal heads. Metal is in a sense keeping the guitar alive to young people. Second is that the economy still sucks, that is sure not helping music sales.

I don't see Mesa out of GC as a big loss. Mesa may even get some of their boutique cred back. I do see mesas new pedal line suffering as a result of this though.....

BrokenFusion":3cyjy717 said:

^quoted for truth.

Derek

Heritage Softail":2xol2mah said:
Heard the same thing at GC Atlanta today. Mesa is not keeping up with the current metal trends and is too expensive in comparison to the ones that do. Of course they don't deal on price and sit in inventory quite a while.

Lots of MKV's sitting out.

So any Recto (dual, tri, roadster/road king) doesn't do what a Blackstar or Engl at the same price point? Doesn't it better and have a better warranty?

Really?

IDK if I agree.

When I got my RKII I so wanted to like the PBII. I mean SO wanted to like it, but it just sounded sterile, lifeless and seemed to get buried to easily in the mix.

So I did the math like this... nearly $2400 w tax for the amp alone, then the footswitch with tax is $270 more. For an amp that is really just 2 channels when the Roadster gives better tones for less money or the RoadKing II gives more tubue options for nearly the same amount.

Derek

GC is going under pretty soon, and Mesa is the first of what I expect to be many manufacturers that pull out of there. GC is going to pull a whole bunch of manufacturers down with them. Fender is struggling right now too!

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1251829

That thread has a bunch of info, mostly pertaining to Fender, but also to the state of Guitar Center. Craigslist, eBay, and even sites like Rig-Talk, TGP, not to mention manufacturer to consumer sales are hurting big box stores like GC.

Back