Mesa Rectifier Boost / Overdrive

+1 to the OD808. The SD-1 sounds cool too (more bark, less bass). The only other OD I've tried with it was the OD9 Pro+, which I hated. Sounded weak.

Something about the 808 seems to complement the base Recto EQ. It still sounds very much like a Recto. Just a really angry one, whereas unboosted the Recto is sort of "laid back" to me. Both of which are cool.

I have one of these which is pretty cool. It came with 3 different chips, so with the 3 way switch, there's a total of 9 different tones. $45 new it was. I use this and a Voodoo Sparkle drive with a 3 way mod. I play to get a Maxon 808 as well.

od-12_1024x1024.jpg

OD808 for a more natural clearing of the tone.

SD-1 or MXR GT-OD for a little more aggressive upper end.

Boss MT-2 For heavy-as-shit, Cannibal Corpse type tone.

I just got a Rev F, I had a regular TS9 sitting around so I'm using that with it. Pretty happy with it, not sure if the "upgrade" to the Maxon would be worth it.

mhenson42":1hxuezze said:
I use a Mesa Flux Drive. Sounds great. Also have an OD808 and a koko reloaded which work well too

What are your flux drive settings? I find that I can't get the nasally sound dialed out of mine...

I'm really not gonna be any help. I have tried almost all of the pedals listed above in from of various mesa rectifiers and they are all great. Mesa amps are really accepting of seemingly any OD. I remember being really surprised by how well a boss SD-1 sounded (especially cus can get them for next to nothing on ebay).

Currently I've been using a Lovepedal Kalamazoo at 18v. The extra headroom makes a noticeable difference. The BB preamp is anther winner also.

You may just have to try em all :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

HerbieBoogie":7n44kc1u said:
I'm really not gonna be any help. I have tried almost all of the pedals listed above in from of various mesa rectifiers and they are all great. Mesa amps are really accepting of seemingly any OD. I remember being really surprised by how well a boss SD-1 sounded (especially cus can get them for next to nothing on ebay).

Currently I've been using a Lovepedal Kalamazoo at 18v. The extra headroom makes a noticeable difference. The BB preamp is anther winner also.

You may just have to try em all :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

I'm wondering how that will work. I have an OD-9+ Maxon that operates at 18V, but unfortunately there's a catch

"Maxon pedals with internal 9/18 volt operation (the Pro and Pro+ models, VOP-9 etc) and those that have a charge pump to stabilize the voltage at 9 volts (OSD-9 etc:) These pedals require huge amounts of current for the first few milliseconds, and then settle down to the listed current draw. This means they may not start up with a 100mA power supply (such as the Pedal Power 2+ or BBE SupaCharger). You may get lucky driving them from the higher current outputs (5 and 6 on the ones mentioned). But a 100mA source will power them, as long as they’ve been ”started up” with a battery. So keep a battery in the pedal, and on power-up temporarily remove the adapter plug (to let the pedal start up) and then plug it back in – that keeps it going from one of the ”normal” outputs on your power supply."

The Barber Direct Drive had something that the others didn't. Not sure how to describe it but I liked it better than the typical TS style and the SD-1.

SD-1 slays in front of a Recto, as does the Protone stuff and of course, the good ole TS-9 / TS808.

Can't go wrong!

Back