Musicians I never would have thought were doing hard drugs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BABMusic
  • Start date Start date
I used to have this counselor that was an AA guy and when he ordered beer battered fish he would say "but hold the beer". True story. As you can guess I stopped talking to that idiot soon after.

I am not a believer and the whole "give yourself up to a higher power" thing seems very, very close to cult shit
 
AA's co-founder was a freemason so it's not surprising that it has an air of cultism around it.

It's funny they pretend the "higher power" is God if you're religious, but if you're secular they tell you "your higher power can be a shoe! What matters is actually that you are powerless" which immediately started setting alarm bells off in my head because I grew up a jehovas witness as a a child
 
I am not a believer and the whole "give yourself up to a higher power" thing seems very, very close to cult shit

Yeah, I don't know if I believe that concept either. AA wants you to admit that you are powerless against it (you have no control over it) and a big part of me think that's just not true. I think there are temptations we all feel the pull of, and we can't control that pull, but we don't have to give in, right? I guess it kind of depends on how strong that pull is for some people. I can imagine that heroin withdraw must be a very strong pull. Just generally speaking though, I believe we all have a large amount of personal responsibility in our choice. It's not always easy though. However, a lot of people do praise AA for helping them overcome their problem.
 
Yeah, I don't know if I believe that concept either. AA wants you to admit that you are powerless against it (you have no control over it) and a big part of me think that's just not true. I think there are temptations we all feel the pull of, and we can't control that pull, but we don't have to give in, right? I guess it kind of depends on how strong that pull is for some people. I can imagine that heroin withdraw must be a very strong pull. Just generally speaking though, I believe we all have a large amount of personal responsibility in our choice. It's not always easy though. However, a lot of people do praise AA for helping them overcome their problem.

Yep, if it works for them more power to them 🤷

NA never worked for me (not alcohol) and it seemed like a pseudocult of losers who constantly hang out with other ex addicts to conveniently relapse or have casual sex with

Honestly quitting opiates was more a matter of cutting out everyone in my life involved with that world - then wow? Magically all of a sudden my willpower was more than enough
 
Yeah, I don't know if I believe that concept either. AA wants you to admit that you are powerless against it (you have no control over it) and a big part of me think that's just not true. I think there are temptations we all feel the pull of, and we can't control that pull, but we don't have to give in, right? I guess it kind of depends on how strong that pull is for some people. I can imagine that heroin withdraw must be a very strong pull. Just generally speaking though, I believe we all have a large amount of personal responsibility in our choice. It's not always easy though. However, a lot of people do praise AA for helping them overcome their problem.
It absolutely isn’t true. They want you powerless so you have to keep coming to meetings and calling your sponsor every time you see a Wild Turkey commercial.
 
Still disingenuous.

Agreed. Telling yourself you are powerless is wild.

Its what abusers convince their victims of, of what kidnappers convince the kidnapped of.

It should be a massive red flag whenever anyone tells you you need to feel powerless
 
It absolutely isn’t true. They want you powerless so you have to keep coming to meetings and calling your sponsor every time you see a Wild Turkey commercial.
It sucks that everything in society has turned into a racket whether it's some stupid manufacturer selling random useless gear nobody really needs or someone selling rehab. All $ driven crap.
 
I'm thankful I never got into heavy drugs.

Tried cocaine a few times and hated it. I'm naturally pretty hyper. That stuff made me want to crawl out of my skin. I suppose that saved me. My older brother had a problem with that stuff..

I read that John Coltrane had a problem with Heroin. Not sure if he ever got clean....
Reading that blew me away...

I quit Marijuana in all its forms a couple of years ago. There is some pretty compelling research that has come out recently that convinced me it hurts more than it helps. Not judging anyone that uses it though....
 
I know pot can cause a lot of anxiety if you do it a lot and then go cold turkey. I know a guy who this happened to, but he's pretty healthy now. Some people also believe that weed is very bad for your nerves in general. I don't do it anymore and never got into it other than a few times.
 
Agreed. Telling yourself you are powerless is wild.

Its what abusers convince their victims of, of what kidnappers convince the kidnapped of.

It should be a massive red flag whenever anyone tells you you need to feel powerless
I went to court ordered rehab when I was 14. I wasn’t addicted to anything. Except pussy. I didn’t drink. Didn’t have enough money to smoke very much weed. But I was a longhair who was on probation and kept getting kicked out of school for fighting. They wouldn’t give me my 30 day sobriety coin at the end because I wouldn’t admit I was an alcoholic. I did bang 3 different bitches in there during those 30 days so it wasn’t a total loss. About 6 months later the state of Missouri decided I was in desperate need of their behavior modification program in the Division of Youth Services correction facility in north St. Louis. So I did a little over a year until me and some of the homies figured out a way to chump our way through the program by prearranging all the group sessions based on your incarceration date. You’d think they’d have noticed when we were all getting released in the same order we were incarcerated in. 🤣

It did teach me some things. You have to fight black dudes differently than you do white dudes for instance.
 
To me, powerlessness went hand-in-hand with the fact that I had to admit defeat to gain victory. When your life is burning down around and you don't know how to stop it, admitting to powerlessness is not a hard sell. It wasn't for me. I would have pretty much admitted to anything at that point in my life. AA gave me a new set of tools I didn't previously have at my disposal. I'd also have to agree with @DanTravis62, NA was a club of sketchy people looking to get high. I went a few times, being that cocaine was my drug of choice, and migrated to AA where I found a new lease on life. I haven't touched the stuff since 9/20/2004. Like they say, it works if you work it.
 
AA is trading one addiction for another addiction.

You sound like a drug counselor.

A drug is a drug is a drug.

The program works if you work it.

Blah blah blah.


If it helps you, good for you. I was in the program and I wasn’t even addicted. Rehab and AA are a business. To me, it’s bullshit. And if you are seriously trying to make the case that people casually having a drink occasionally is the same as someone taking 3 Vicodins with a 6 pack on Friday night, you have been brainwashed by your sponsor. It’s perfectly safe to have a cocktail occasionally for most people. It’s never safe to do cocaine or heroin. Or fentanyl outside of under a doctors supervision. Smoking weed is not the same as smoking meth. There’s a massive difference between a pot smoker and a meth head.

AA, as in alcoholic anonymous ?

If so the behavior at the meetings is virtual identical to bar life. Same people, same conversation, same self medicating, everyone smoking… just trade the booze for coffee.
 
To me, powerlessness went hand-in-hand with the fact that I had to admit defeat to gain victory. When your life is burning down around and you don't know how to stop it, admitting to powerlessness is not a hard sell. It wasn't for me. I would have pretty much admitted to anything at that point in my life. AA gave me a new set of tools I didn't previously have at my disposal. I'd also have to agree with @DanTravis62, NA was a club of sketchy people looking to get high. I went a few times, being that cocaine was my drug of choice, and migrated to AA where I found a new lease on life. I haven't touched the stuff since 9/20/2004. Like they say, it works if you work it.
Well, 22 years you haven't touched it. Doesn't sound powerless to me bro. And congratulations.
 
I used to have this counselor that was an AA guy and when he ordered beer battered fish he would say "but hold the beer". True story. As you can guess I stopped talking to that idiot soon after.
Cop: "Sir, did you have a breaded piece of cod and a side of fries covered in malt vinegar? Turn around and put your hands behind your back..."
 
I think everyone has made some good points on several different aspects of alcohol and/or drug addiction, etc. It is true that sugar, cigarettes, and beer can be so addictive that it ends up ruining your life.

Being a military brat in Germany in the 80s at 14 years old made me look at beer differently than I think a lot of kids did. We'd come home on leave and my friends were sneaking Busch and Schlitz and i'm like what the fuck is this crap?

Being in the military, you were encouraged to drink. It is part of the culture. I don't know how i've been able to keep an even line wirh alcohol in my mid-50s. I have had tons of friends that haven't been as lucky. I always remembered thinking that having beer in a fridge where you can grab it every night like a bottle of water is not a good idea.
 
I think everyone has made some good points on several different aspects of alcohol and/or drug addiction, etc. It is true that sugar, cigarettes, and beer can be so addictive that it ends up ruining your life.

Being a military brat in Germany in the 80s at 14 years old made me look at beer differently than I think a lot of kids did. We'd come home on leave and my friends were sneaking Busch and Schlitz and i'm like what the fuck is this crap?

Being in the military, you were encouraged to drink. It is part of the culture. I don't know how i've been able to keep an even line wirh alcohol in my mid-50s. I have had tons of friends that haven't been as lucky. I always remembered thinking that having beer in a fridge where you can grab it every night like a bottle of water is not a good idea.
I've had what's left of a 6 pack of Guinness ES in my fridge for over 6 months now. I think there's 4 in there.
 
Fent is a opioid. Something called Ohio cocaine would be some kinda upper, I think?
Cocaine is funny because it's a CNS upper but also a narcotic analgesic. Because the "I can't feel my face" sensation was once the mark of good cocaine, it's common for modern stepped on (or even fake) cocaine to have fent in it.

Scary shit.
 
Back
Top