NAD Mesa Triple Rectifier Rev F

Terex

First post on the forum here!

My name is Bas, 21 years old and I'm from the Netherlands.
Today isn't really my NAD, but since it's my first post, and I recently got my dream amp, I figured I'd post it!

It's a '92 Rev F blackface Triple Rectifier with the Mark III transformers, attached powerchord, small Mesa logo and chrome chassis. I've been looking for one a couple of years, but they're pretty rare, definitely in Europe. But eventually this one popped up, and seemed to be in great shape, just had new Mesa tubes in, no noticable scratches or dings in the leather. Plugged it in for the first time, and MY GOD did it sound like I was hoping it would! Compared to the 3 channel dual rectifier I had before this is so more thinker and bigger sounding. Less fizz and not thin sounding at low volumes like the 3ch dual rectifier sometimes did. Much easier to dial in, and just sounds massive!
But the thing that stood out the most is how much more thighter it is compared to the 3 channel dual rectifier. The low end is thight, little more mids, less scooped, not thin sounding but thick and creamy, and the highs aren't sounding sharp or harsh. No can of bees with this amp ;) It doesn't really need an OD in front of it to boost it, however it sounds even better with one.
Great amp, not going to sell this one! :thumbsup:

Here are some pics of the amp, and the rest of my rig!

And a short clip I did with it the day I got it. ESP ltd Explorer with EMG 81/85 straight in the amp:

Nice score man! That tolex appears to be in perfect shape. It must have been a bedroom amp, cuz it looks brand new!

It also looks like you have the old "coke bottle" Rectifier tubes. What 6L6s are you running?

fretout":3761ho6c said:
Nice score man! That tolex appears to be in perfect shape. It must have been a bedroom amp, cuz it looks brand new!

It also looks like you have the old "coke bottle" Rectifier tubes. What 6L6s are you running?

They are STR 440 6L6's. What do you mean by the coke bottle tubes? Aren't they used anymore?

Nice, congrats! Pretty sure the Triples never used Mark III transformers, though. You're thinking of the old Dual Rectifiers.

cardinal":tydb8r1m said:
Nice, congrats! Pretty sure the Triples never used Mark III transformers, though. You're thinking of the old Dual Rectifiers.

Thanks! And yes I am, I thought all the Rev F's had the Mark III transformers? :confused:
Or only the Dual Rec's? Any idea what the Triple Rec's have for transformers, or just the standard transformers still used today?

Awesome!!! I saw your clip while surfing youtube yesterday, weird. That is in great condition! Judging by your post in the other thread, you've seen my amp. The headshell is in need of some major TLC. What kind of settings do you use?

Also, the way you worded your introduction, made me think of this :LOL: :LOL: :

Terex":ybxzwzga said:
My name is Bas, 21 years old, I'm from the Netherlands.....and I'm a gearoholic

Hi Bas!

benduncan":2ifyzhiw said:
Awesome!!! I saw your clip while surfing youtube yesterday, weird. That is in great condition! Judging by your post in the other thread, you've seen my amp. The headshell is in need of some major TLC. What kind of settings do you use?

Also, the way you worded your introduction, made me think of this :LOL: :LOL: :

Terex":2ifyzhiw said:
My name is Bas, 21 years old, I'm from the Netherlands.....and I'm a gearoholic

Hi Bas!

Yeah I saw your post this morning while looking for some more information on the Rev F! :)

As for my settings, pretty straight forward. Bass on 11/12o clock, mids on 11o clock, treble on 1o clock, gain on 2o clock, precense also around 1 or 2o clock. I run a MXR Gt-od and an old Boss NS-2 in front of the amp sometimes, amd thats it!
On the back I have it on Bold and tube rectifier.

I just saw your settings in the vid you posted, going to try them tomorrow, sounded great!

As for the introduction.. Well.. Yeah :D

benduncan":xkob9z6n said:
PS, in my opinion, this one is better than the other! :rock:

Thanks a lot man! Recorded that yesterday! I'll record the rest of the song of something else Metallica this weekend! :)

Sounds and looks good!

I have one that looks like that, but it is a newer Rev G model.

LOVE the Blackface Triple!

Very nice, Congrats! It looks to be in rocking shape too. Love the old blackface triples, clip sounds mean man. Welcome to the boards. :thumbsup:

Terex":1q1a1ut3 said:
I thought all the Rev F's had the Mark III transformers? :confused:
Or only the Dual Rec's? Any idea what the Triple Rec's have for transformers, or just the standard transformers still used today?

I'm not sure whether that Triple Rec transformers have changed over the years, but I don't think they used the Schumacher Mark III transformers. First, they'd have to have used the transformers from the Coliseum Mark, because I just don't see how the little Mark III transformers for an 85 watt amp would cut it for a 150 watt amp. Also, every Triple Rec I've seen (including the Rev F) has dedicated 8 and 16 ohm speaker outputs. The Dual Rectifiers with the Schumacher transformers only have outputs for 4 ohm and 8/16 ohms (because Mark III transformers don't have 16 ohm outputs).

But I could be wrong. The guys on the Grailtone/Boogie Board forum would really know.

Either way, you've got yourself a bad ass amp. Don't get caught up in transformers. I have a chrome/blackface Rev G that is probably my favorite high gain amp I've ever owned, and that's really saying something.

cardinal":1w7efwj3 said:
Terex":1w7efwj3 said:
I thought all the Rev F's had the Mark III transformers? :confused:

I'm not sure whether that Triple Rec transformers have changed over the years, but I don't think they used the Schumacher Mark III transformers. First, they'd have to have used the transformers from the Coliseum Mark, because I just don't see how the little Mark III transformers for an 85 watt amp would cut it for a 150 watt amp. Also, every Triple Rec I've seen (including the Rev F) has dedicated 8 and 16 ohm speaker outputs. The Dual Rectifiers with the Schumacher transformers only have outputs for 4 ohm and 8/16 ohms (because Mark III transformers don't have 16 ohm outputs).

But I could be wrong. The guys on the Grailtone/Boogie Board forum would really know.

Either way, you've got yourself a bad ass amp. Don't get caught up in transformers. I have a chrome/blackface Rev G that is probably my favorite high gain amp I've ever owned, and that's really saying something.

Allright, thanks for the information! Nah, wether it has or hasn't the Mark transformers, I love it, indeed my favorite amp too! And I played lots of other cool amps.
You've had a lot of different high gain amps?

benduncan":7d63176q said:

Really good playing if that was you, but it for sure has the "Mesa loose-ass-squish" going on. Not that I don't like that sound/tone/wutever, but it has it's place, and tight metal is not it. Your playing was the shiznit though, so I hope I don't offend.

moronmountain":2rmfek56 said:
benduncan":2rmfek56 said:

Really good playing if that was you, but it for sure has the "Mesa loose-ass-squish" going on. Not that I don't like that sound/tone/wutever, but it has it's place, and tight metal is not it. Your playing was the shiznit though, so I hope I don't offend.

Thank you! Yeah that's me playing :)

It's not as thight as some other hogh gain amps, but I think it's definetely thighter then the newer dual and triple rectifiers, without sounding to sterile or processed like some Engls.
Still trying new settings too :) and it was played straight in the amp, unboosted

Strungup, you pm'd me, but I can't reply just yet, as I am a new member..

The serial no. is R-001961 and it's wired for 230 volts, so my guess is that it's a export model, manufactured for the European market. Is this the amp you once had? :)

Hell yeah, welcome to the forum!

Saw your posts on the boogie FB page, great vids! :rock:

As far as the trannies go I do believe they are Mark Coliseum trannies (most likely both PT and OT), the 2 ch triples weren't talked about as much as the rev c, d, e, or f dual rectos.

I think the circuit differences make more difference than the trannies ;)

Back