Name a more brutal sounding amp than the VH140C/GX130C

buller

buller

Member
Does such an amp exist? Boosted Recto or Uber are close in my opinion, but there's just something so special about those solid state OSDM tones
 
This guy is the king of the jungle brootz

gorilla-gg80-v0-ojj1s5lprfud1.webp
 
Does such an amp exist? Boosted Recto or Uber are close in my opinion, but there's just something so special about those solid state OSDM tones
Vh140c is about as brutal as it gets as a stock amp, with no boosts or anything else.
 
Had the Crate and sold it off quickly. Wasn't very loud and a expected a more scooped sound. Kinda failed
 
Had the Crate and sold it off quickly. Wasn't very loud and a expected a more scooped sound. Kinda failed
I had both the vh140c and gx130c and the Crate was indeed under-powered, the vh140c was loud if you connected both sides of the power amp. The Crate sounded like shit too IMO. It was very underwhelming.
 
Had the Crate and sold it off quickly. Wasn't very loud and a expected a more scooped sound. Kinda failed


The crate and ampeg aren’t as close as the internet thinks, the crate is kind of a one trick pony that nails the early cannibal thing and isn’t good at anything else, the ampeg can do that and much more and is more powerful. You need a stereo to get the best out of both of them
 
I had a Krank Rev 1. Those are pretty damn brutal, but are really picky about what speakers you pair them with.

Honestly I wish I hadn't sold it. Really unique sounding amp.
 
The crate and ampeg aren’t as close as the internet thinks, the crate is kind of a one trick pony that nails the early cannibal thing and isn’t good at anything else, the ampeg can do that and much more and is more powerful. You need a stereo to get the best out of both of them
Yeah I was just rocking a single 1960.
Ampegs are so overpriced now its not even worth tracking one down ha
 
Yeah I was just rocking a single 1960.
Ampegs are so overpriced now its not even worth tracking one down ha


The Crate VTX and GT3500’s I believe are rebranded VH140c’s, you can find them for reasonable amounts, that’s probably the direction I would go for that kind of thing
 
The Crate VTX and GT3500’s I believe are rebranded VH140c’s, you can find them for reasonable amounts, that’s probably the direction I would go for that kind of thing
They're close as in they share the same roots when St. Louis Music owned both brands, but the circuits aren't a 1:1 copy.
The GT3500 is closer to the Ampeg than the VTX
 
Back
Top