Odds of finding a used Baron Custom Amp in 2019?

ape2000

Trying out a local Splawn Nitro next week and if it's not for me, I'll probably wind up with a Quick Rod or VHT by the beginning of next month. I have an ad up, but I'm curious - do you think it's a fool's quest to try and track down a Baron? I'd love a B or BM, but with him no longer making amps and them being a little under the radar to begin with, is it a realistic search? I guess with a good chunk of patience it could be. Anywho, just musing here. They seem like such cool amps!

You never know unless you try searching for one! I know mine will forever be in my collection. It really is that awesome of an amp without question. I actually just decided to sell my Fortin Meshuggah because quite frankly, my Baron DHG is better, but really only because of the voicing. The Fortin has the best dynamics of an amp that I have played in a long time, it is quieter than the Baron, but I just am not a fan of that British upper-mid voicing.

It is a real shame they are not made anymore because I would classify them as the same level as any highly-regarded, top-tier, "holy grail" amp out there (for more modern tone anyway). It is also built just as good or even better than a lot of them too. The guy who built these really cared about his craftsmanship and is, unfortunately, not the type of builder to come around much anymore.

Qweklain":2spo627z said:
You never know unless you try searching for one! I know mine will forever be in my collection. It really is that awesome of an amp without question. I actually just decided to sell my Fortin Meshuggah because quite frankly, my Baron DHG is better, but really only because of the voicing. The Fortin has the best dynamics of an amp that I have played in a long time, it is quieter than the Baron, but I just am not a fan of that British upper-mid voicing.

It is a real shame they are not made anymore because I would classify them as the same level as any highly-regarded, top-tier, "holy grail" amp out there (for more modern tone anyway). It is also built just as good or even better than a lot of them too. The guy who built these really cared about his craftsmanship and is, unfortunately, not the type of builder to come around much anymore.

Man, that's a solid endorsement. I've listened to a few clips, but it seems most are no longer available. The DHG sounds rad but I love having a good clean channel for the stuff I currently do. The way people talk about his amps and even the conversations they come up with other amps impresses me. It sounds like the B series would give me that familiar Marshall voice but with his spin on it and lots of tools to dial in the sound I want.

I used to own a Baron DHG. It was a great amp, especially for the price (was able to get it used locally for $1000), but it wasn’t a keeper because I later came across other amps that I felt outclassed it in tone. For its price it’s hard to beat if you’re after modern tones, but it’s still not imo in that same league as something like the real iic+’s, Cameron’s, blueface vh4, and a few others but then again those amps are all gonna be more than 3x the price if not a lot more and hard to come by. That being said I’ve owned over 80 amps over the years and the Baron DHG was for modern tones one of the better ones I’ve had

braintheory":fba0pwvc said:
I used to own a Baron DHG. It was a great amp, especially for the price (was able to get it used locally for $1000), but it wasn’t a keeper because I later came across other amps that I felt outclassed it in tone. For its price it’s hard to beat if you’re after modern tones, but it’s still not imo in that same league as something like the real iic+’s, Cameron’s, blueface vh4, and a few others but then again those amps are all gonna be more than 3x the price if not a lot more and hard to come by. That being said I’ve owned over 80 amps over the years and the Baron DHG was for modern tones one of the better ones I’ve had

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't have the scratch for a Diezel or Cameron or Wizard, etc. I'd LOVE to play one, but, I gotta live within my means. Besides, some great stuff was recorded on every day gear. If I can get a notch above that for not much coin, I'm content.

ape2000":3fks19tx said:
braintheory":3fks19tx said:

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't have the scratch for a Diezel or Cameron or Wizard, etc. I'd LOVE to play one, but, I gotta live within my means. Besides, some great stuff was recorded on every day gear. If I can get a notch above that for not much coin, I'm content.
Ah yeah the Wizard MTL has also been one of my keepers. In that case, yes a Baron makes sense to look for. IMO it smokes any Splawn. In that price range for modern tones, I think the only other contenders I can think of would be a Mark III/IV or Engl Artist Edition.

The Artist Edition is maybe the most open and least processed sounding Engl. It has great upper mid growl and is more in the Marshall direction than other Engl’s. I had both an Artist Edition and Baron DHG at the same time and slightly preferred the Artist Edition. It was more raw, open, and even the BM channel of the Baron couldn’t match the upper mid aggression of the Artist Edition. The Baron though on both channels (BM and K) was tighter, more compressed, saturated, modern and a bit smoother voiced overall

Actually, I forgot the Engl Inferno I actually liked even a bit more than the Artist. If you can find a used one that could be cool. I remember it having this throaty lower mid growl that was great and better lead tones than the Artist Edition. It was like a better version of what the Fireball 100 or Extreme Aggression were going for.

braintheory":2w24q0ad said:
ape2000":2w24q0ad said:
braintheory":2w24q0ad said:

Ah yeah the Wizard MTL has also been one of my keepers. In that case, yes a Baron makes sense to look for. IMO it smokes any Splawn. In that price range for modern tones, I think the only other contenders I can think of would be a Mark III/IV or Engl Artist Edition.

The Artist Edition is maybe the most open and least processed sounding Engl. It has great upper mid growl and is more in the Marshall direction than other Engl’s. I had both an Artist Edition and Baron DHG at the same time and slightly preferred the Artist Edition. It was more raw, open, and even the BM channel of the Baron couldn’t match the upper mid aggression of the Artist Edition. The Baron though on both channels (BM and K) was tighter, more compressed, saturated, modern and a bit smoother voiced overall

Actually, I forgot the Engl Inferno I actually liked even a bit more than the Artist. If you can find a used one that could be cool. I remember it having this throaty lower mid growl that was great and better lead tones than the Artist Edition. It was like a better version of what the Fireball 100 or Extreme Aggression were going for.

Interesting note on the Engl offerings! I always overlook them as too expensive or too metal or too processed. I'll see about the Inferno, but I'm already finding some E651's in my price range. They seem to be some sort of best kept secret. I dig a mix of modern metal tones and 90s grunge type of tones. So modded Marshall is usually about where my tastes lie.

braintheory":kfg4zzxv said:
ape2000":kfg4zzxv said:
braintheory":kfg4zzxv said:

The artist edition...I've checked clips out. I heard the upper mid range for sure. I think I dig a lower mid range voicing. But the price on those amps on the used market is really nice.

I traded my 2010 QR for a Barron. Huge mistake. The Barron sounded great until I was in a band mix and then it just got swallowed whole. I kept it maybe 6 months and sold it to get another Splawn Nitro.

Splawn’s do not have a lot of gain on tap as you would think. People will describe them as dry or stiff but the truth is the gain is not the saturating type. After 2 QRs and 2 Nitros I bought a 6505+ and was so much happier. I then graduated to the 5153 Stealth and the 5153 50 watt w 6l6s. I also have a JP2C. I would take a 50 watt 5153 all day long before a Barron or a Nitro/QR. just my experience. You can’t go wrong as they all are great amps.

Back