Thick Hi Gain Amp Under $2k???

jkkkjkhk

So lucky me, my wife has landed a nice new job and for me having to sell gear to pay bills she decided to buy me a new amp. I think she's crazy but she insists. :LOL: :LOL: Anyways I've been really eye-ing an uberschall for a while but not 100% sure it's the best choice for me. Basically I'm looking at a high gain amp that's tight but super thick and room filling, I want that big wall of sound. Now by that I'd say the uber is perfect but I'm not sure. My band plays sort of southern sounding hard rock. Like Alice In Chains meets Pantera, but different. I'm big into AIC, Pantera, Machine Head, but also love the classics like Maiden, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath. My music is more simple but big sounding. My band doesn't play the fast thrash and metal stuff (but I do for fun) so articulation and high definition aren't a big concern, just want size. I love thrash along with some modern metal but not big into most modern tone. Really don't jive with just about everything I've heard from Engl, VHT, and Diezel. Too compressed and dry, not bad, just not for me.
I also have a Mark III so the super tight dry tone is covered.

But so the amps I've been checking out are:
Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Shiva 20th
Bogner XTC 20th
Mesa Dual Rect (2 ch, 3 ch, whatever)
Mesa Mark V
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quickrod
and really anything else that may fit.

I've played the uber for just a few minutes and loved it. Spent quite a bit of time with the recto and mark V and while I love the tones don't really think it's the right direction for what I want. I know these amps are all pretty different but at the same time have that similarity that I love. Clean channel isn't make or break but I really wouldn't mind a nice clean./ ;)
I've owned/extensively played a 6505+, 5150 block, Valveking, Tweaker 88, Mark III, Mark V, Dual Rect, JCM800 2204, Tiny Terror, 5150 III 50w, SLO100, and while they all had something special most weren't exactly what I'm looking for. Now "I" could be the problem :LOL: :LOL: , but I'll feed the GAS and keep thinking it's the amps. :rock:
The Splawns I most likely won't get a chance to try out but in a few weeks I'll get to mess with the XTC and Uber, not sure if a Shiva will be there.

If anyone has any knowledge on how some of these compare feel free to share your opinions as well as pros/cons of each. Budget isn't too much of a concern but at the same time trying to keep it realistic. I get a very good deal on the Bogners, so that's a big reason I'm looking at them, along with the amazing customer service, that's important to me. So I'm looking around $2k or under, but can go over a little bit.

Sorry for the wall of text, but so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

What about the Rivera k-tre reverb? It has a killer clean channel with a gain channel that is super thick and meaty. A lot of people that like the Uber also like the k-tre.

Damn you guys are fast. :LOL: :LOL: Thanks for the help so far.
I'm pretty interested in the early 2 channel recto's but need to read a bit on them, don't know the revisions well at all. Don't know shit about Rivera's though, but absolutely love the build quality and service for my Rockcrusher. Also one or two amps I'd like to add, maybe a 2204 snorkeler, or maybe a cameron marshall. I like what I've heard but also next to no chance of trying one out. The bogners I'm positive I'll love, just which one more, so I'd even be fine with ordering blind, but the splawns I'm not sure about. Almost every clip of the Nitro I've heard has this cocked back wah sound that's really unpleasing. So not sure on that one.

Diezel Einstein or D moll would be worth checking out. Between Einsteins the 3 modes on the clean channel and the lead channel it can cover most of the bands tones you mentioned. That or a Shiva would get my vote. I've played a K-tre and it seemed beastly like the Uber, (haven't played an Uber yet but it seemed similar) would also be worth checking out.

I had the 2nd version of the Uberschall and it was a thick beast. One other amp I would consider after owning many high end amps.... 5150 moded by FJA amps. Jerry did the Metal Mod to my 5150II and I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get another 6505+ and then get a nice guitar as well for $2000. for something different run the Peavey thru a greenack 4x12...they sound killer thru greenbacks. For the money the Peavey's can't be beat and are better than alot of high dollar stuff.

sjk":x6hi92by said:
Get another 6505+ and then get a nice guitar as well for $2000. for something different run the Peavey thru a greenack 4x12...they sound killer thru greenbacks. For the money the Peavey's can't be beat and are better than alot of high dollar stuff.

I run my FJA modded 5150 through a Marshall 425A that comes stock with GBs.

Lots of good opinions. For the record, I thought of either just sticking with the Mark III or getting something simple (5150 price range) and getting a nice guitar (possibly Tom Anderson or super strat style).

BTW D-Rock, can't see your avatar. :LOL: :LOL:

sjk":1wm4glj1 said:

I do like some of Peavey's amps, but do not care for their cabs. YMMV. My old band had a Peavey endorsement, and I still wouldn't use their cabs.

I'll throw the Framus Cobra in the ring, the thing is that the amp is pretty much clean or mean with not much between.

chunktone":25d45vxp said:
sjk":25d45vxp said:

I do like some of Peavey's amps, but do not care for their cabs. YMMV. My old band had a Peavey endorsement, and I still wouldn't use their cabs.

I've only played Peavey cabs in guitars stores only at lower volumes so I don't have much of an opinion on them but I do know my 6505+ sounds stellar through my splawn 4x12 with greenbacks imho.

hellaboogie":2jg1n7f6 said:
I'll throw the Framus Cobra in the ring, the thing is that the amp is pretty much clean or mean with not much between.

Isn't a Cobra more dry and tight than saturated and thick? Or is that the Dragon..., or neither?

BTW, checked out the Einstein, depending on used prices it may be way out of my price range. GC doesn't carry Diezel so no discount. :cry:

Get the Uber I have a rev. Blue and it is the S**T. Thick and then some. Probably find one used in your price range. Not a big boogie guy here some love them. I think they are too much work to dial in and be consistent. The nice thing about Bogner stuff is it is built like a tank. For the money you could save a bit and get a used 5150 iii. My other guitar player uses one and the sonic footprint in a band situation was quite similar to my Uber. Just saying. Seen them go for anywhere from 1k to 1500 used. Gives you some extra axe cash.

jkkkjkhk":3usxs9kz said:
hellaboogie":3usxs9kz said:

Isn't a Cobra more dry and tight than saturated and thick? Or is that the Dragon..., or neither?

BTW, checked out the Einstein, depending on used prices it may be way out of my price range. GC doesn't carry Diezel so no discount. :cry:
yes it's a tight sounding amp, to me the lead channel some what resembles a mesa rectifier

jkkkjkhk":jmzvs4dp said:
Lots of good opinions. For the record, I thought of either just sticking with the Mark III or getting something simple (5150 price range) and getting a nice guitar (possibly Tom Anderson or super strat style).

BTW D-Rock, can't see your avatar. :LOL: :LOL:
Try some pedals with the Mk III or get the 5150

Back