Once again.... WHATS COOKING?!

CPUD (Christmas present utilization day)... My GF got me a Ninja Foodi air fryer and her son and daughter-in-law got me a really nice Japanese carving knife for Christmas. I've always wanted to take a stab at homemade beef jerky, so here we go. Two pounds of London Broil, slightly frozen and then sliced into ~1/8" pieces. The new knife (my Wusthof's need re-edged...) worked like a champ. The pieces are marinating in a mixture of soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder crushed red pepper, pepper and a dash of liquid smoke
1 - Copy.jpg
2 - Copy.jpg
3 - Copy.jpg
. I'll throw them in the air fryer gizmo in a few hours and see what happens...

Oh man, the jerky's gonna taste awesome, Indy!

I grew up in South Africa where we only had the local version of jerky, which is biltong, so I haven't tasted jerky often. Love 'em both, of course.

This one was pretty good. Herb roasted pork tenderloin.

IMG-1907.jpg

Served with sweet potato and cauliflower mashed with brie.

IMG-1909.jpg

Chicken tortilla soup.

Let's get this going.

IMG-1981.jpg

We get and freeze a lot of chicken for various things. This was breasts marinated in apple cider vinegar and some other spices and vacuum sealed, then crock potted up.

IMG-1982.jpg

IMG-1983.jpg

Accoutrements on display.

IMG-1984.jpg

Finished product.

IMG-1988.jpg

Chicken tortilla soup.

Let's get this going.

IMG-1981.jpg

We get and freeze a lot of chicken for various things. This was breasts marinated in apple cider vinegar and some other spices and vacuum sealed, then crock potted up.

IMG-1982.jpg

IMG-1983.jpg

Accoutrements on display.

IMG-1984.jpg

Finished product.

IMG-1988.jpg
WOULD!:love:

A path I've long hoped to travel down and finally just threw down the gauntlet this morning. I want to make a high-density rye sourdough bread that can be used to make seasoned chips. Think the rye chips in Gardettos that are so good they had to start selling them separately, just seasoned more to my tastes than those.

Step 1 is to figure out a "quick" rye bread recipe that makes a dense and flavorful loaf. Now, quick is the antithesis of both rye and sourdough, but I've got a recipe where the majority of its rise time is for "the sponge", which is essentially just a really large batch of sourdough starter that you let sit by itself for twenty four hours. So, I have massive piles of starter sitting there already, why waste twenty four hours on that? So, I took the knowledge I've gained over the last few weeks and set out to create my own recipe for fast-rise sourdough rye.

A mix of equal parts boiling water and rye flour, with an addition of approximately a quarter of those amounts of high gluten flour for structure was mixed with an equal part rye starter, a portion of caraway seeds, sesame seeds and dried rosemary, with just a touch of agave syrup. I let that sit for a half hour, then wet my hands and stretched and folded the dough carefully on top of itself six times, turning a quarter turn each time, then rolled it over onto its seams to let it sit for another half hour. Into the cast iron dutch oven it went for twenty-five minutes. Pull the cover and give it another twenty. Then onto the cooling rack.

ryeloaf.jpg

I cut into it before it cooled, which is another huge no-no with sourdough, but fuck it, I've long discovered most rules with baking are loose guidelines meant to be trampled over eagerly once you get your feet wet. It's crunchy on the outside, moist and soft on the inside, and one of the most flavorful breads I've ever tasted.

The coworkers were given samples and the pronouncement is perfection.

Tomorrow it gets thin-sliced into chip-width wafer, dredged in chili-oil/olive oil blend, then seasoned with garlic, salt, some homemade spice powder, then baked to golden crisp perfection. Then I'll make a nice cool dip to balance the heat. Then nom.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt it for a second, Brother CentristNutz. :rock:

I've dreamed about tasting something like that for decades, having sampled tiny morsels raw a couple o' times, so that's why I was speechless when I saw your steak.

Did a 7 lb pork shoulder with a thicc rub, no wrap at 275 for 6 hr till it hit 201f. Made a pineapple jalapeno bbq sauce with some san marzano tomato I flash froze. Anyone in STL stop by.

Attachments

• B10E9E69-7CA2-464A-BE56-F5A29E9A4EEB.jpeg
    B10E9E69-7CA2-464A-BE56-F5A29E9A4EEB.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 45
Thanks man!

I've been trying to load the first pic (5mb) all this time and have now given up. For some reason Rig Talk has always been super-slow for me compared to any other forum. Thankfully this smaller one looks like it'll load... and it only took a minute.

Oh man. Brilliant! The thick crust, the moisture and the sauce... amazing. I can almost taste it from here bro'. Well done and thank you for the serve! :worship::cheers2:

Thanks man!

I've been trying to load the first pic (5mb) all this time and have now given up. For some reason Rig Talk has always been super-slow for me compared to any other forum. Thankfully this smaller one looks like it'll load... and it only took a minute.

Oh man. Brilliant! The thick crust, the moisture and the sauce... amazing. I can almost taste it from here bro'. Well done and thank you for the serve! :worship::cheers2:
Serve it with some fresh cornbread rolls in the morn and an ice cold VB

This was pretty spectacular. Air Fryer Shake 'n Bake pork chops.

IMG-2025.jpg

Zoodles! (garlic zucchini noodles)

IMG-2027.jpg

This thing did better than expected.

IMG-2029.jpg

I had to add a little Rooster sauce.

IMG-2030.jpg

Back