power amp recommendations for a w/d setup

nighttrain69

i know many of you guys use the w/d setup ,i was hoping you could point me in a good direction for power amps ..i plan on running 1, 4-12 from the amp ..thanks for any input for this rack noob :cry:

ACShreds":1zf26yo3 said:
i have a Matrix GT1000fx that im using with my Mark V to run W/D
I am interested in some recommendations as well but I keep hearing this one being recommend.

Your choice depends on what kind of rig you are putting together and how often you will use it, how much $$ you want to spend, etc.

To go cheap get an E-H Magnum 44 ($120-140). I have one for a backup to my tube gear and it sounds pretty good and can drive a 4x12 with no problem. The only issue with it is heat. I ran it outside last year in a 4th of July parade and it overheated (90 degrees outside), take that FWIW. The other choice I'd pick is one of those old Marshall EL84 based power amps, I think they were as small as 20x2 watts and take one U rack space. I think ADA and Lee Jackson also made 1U rack mounted power amps. The Marshall, ADA, and Lee Jackson can be had for under $300 if you watch Ebay.

The Hoff":2u6fbtlp said:
ACShreds":2u6fbtlp said:
i have a Matrix GT1000fx that im using with my Mark V to run W/D
I am interested in some recommendations as well but I keep hearing this one being recommend.
I havent actually used it in the context im intending it for yet but i have tried it out with my friends Axe Fx 2 after i got it to make sure it worked. It sounded great, and by great i mean transparent. His axe presets sounded really good with the Matrix into a marshall 4x12. It didn't exactly make the Axe sound like a tube amp but it didnt make it sound any less like one if you know what i mean by it being a solid state power amp. It did sound great and had a ton of headroom. Barely had it turned up and it was well beyond apartment levels. It was also dead quiet and didnt add any extra hum or anything even with it all being inside a 1 space rack unit with its fan going. I'm intending on slaving my Mark V through it so i can go W/D and I have high hopes it'll work exactly like i want by not changing the tone i get from the Mark when it comes out in the wet signal. That way my dry and wet signal wont have any discrepancies in tone as they probly would if i was to use a different tube amp or cheaper solid state amp. Highly recommend the Matrix so far though for its price point, dimensions, build quality, and sound quality.

i came across a mesa boogie 50/50..the sale price is 450..i like the matrix stuff from what little ive seen of them, but dont seem to be alot for sale..i didnt want to jump right in with a 1,ooo dollar amp either :LOL: :LOL:

nighttrain69":1litfqpz said:
i came across a mesa boogie 50/50..the sale price is 450..i like the matrix stuff from what little ive seen of them, but dont seem to be alot for sale..i didnt want to jump right in with a 1,ooo dollar amp either :LOL: :LOL:
I bought mine directly from matrix.

if you're going to pay 150 or close for an eh 44w solid state pedal, just get a mosvalve 982 or 962 for the same price. way more quality, versatile, reliable, stereo 80x2 @ 4ohms or bridgeable to 160 in 8ohms.

Back