PRS Goons, tell me about the S2 McCarty 594 Single Cut

  • Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper

romanianreaper

Well-known member
So i was reading that this is the closest PRS to the Les Pauls and was curious how people like them. Are they similar?

Just wanted to see what people love or hate about them.
 
Yes, very similar in feel and tone. Still a bit of their own thing. After having all of the 594 variants in double and single cut (core, S2, SE) I settled on the double cut because it is so light and still sounds very LP like. I regularly switch between my Les Paul and SE 594 double cut and while they sound slightly different, no more so than any 2 Les Pauls would with slightly different pickups. The feel is very much 60's LP. I will get another core one day, and the S2 is one of the best values out there.
 
Good ro hear man! Appreciate the input. I'm a 60s LP guy so just wanted to make sure it was in the same arena.
 
So i was reading that this is the closest PRS to the Les Pauls and was curious how people like them. Are they similar?

Just wanted to see what people love or hate about them.
My s2 594 rules, they are great playing and sounding guitars. The main difference will be the wood is often pretty drab looking compared to the cores and the bevel vs violin style carve. PRS also has changed their finish type and process over the years so depending when it was made will tell you what type is on the specific guitar. They are very Les Paul esque, double cut included. The newest ones will be closest with all nitro.

Edit: the changes were sweeping so Maryland guitars all should have the same type of finish.
 
Last edited:
Love them in every way except for the pickups.

If I had a line on an S2 singlecut before I found my purple LP classic, I probably would have chosen it as my only guitar when I had to downsize all of my gear

They aren't pretty woodwise, but they are always well made and play great
 
Yeah, I happen to like the pickups, slightly hotter than a Gibson Burstbucker with a rounder low end. The split tones are excellent too, almost like a cross between a P90 and single coil. Should be easy to find an S2 or SE locally to try out to make sure for yourself.
 
Timely thread.
After recently acquiring a bunch of gear from a buddy, and not as recently acquiring a 2003 Artist package Custom 24...
I've decided the best way to flip a whole bunch of gear is to trade it in for 1 quality piece.
PRS 594 with trem is top consideration.
Haven't played one yet. It'll happen this week.

I'll just sell everything if I don't end up digging the PRS. There's nothing else I want that I could trades towards.
 
This is clean track with my DC594. I think I have one with distortion, but I don't believe I uploaded it to YT.

 
I have a McCarty model, not the single cut, but man..... that things sustains for days. That guitar in particular can hang onto some notes as if I have a sustainer turned on. Feels and sounds totally different than my LP, but that isn't a bad thing.
 
Timely thread.
After recently acquiring a bunch of gear from a buddy, and not as recently acquiring a 2003 Artist package Custom 24...
I've decided the best way to flip a whole bunch of gear is to trade it in for 1 quality piece.
PRS 594 with trem is top consideration.
Haven't played one yet. It'll happen this week.

I'll just sell everything if I don't end up digging the PRS. There's nothing else I want that I could trades towards.
Looking forward to hearing what you think,.especially since you dig Les Pauls.

I just need it to be in the same general feel of a Les Paul so it feels familiar.
 
Love them in every way except for the pickups.

If I had a line on an S2 singlecut before I found my purple LP classic, I probably would have chosen it as my only guitar when I had to downsize all of my gear

They aren't pretty woodwise, but they are always well made and play great
What would you say you don't like about them? I have 57s in my Les Paul Session Studio, Burstbuckers in my Standard, and Aldrich in my Classic.
 
What would you say you don't like about them? I have 57s in my Les Paul Session Studio, Burstbuckers in my Standard, and Aldrich in my Classic.

They aren't horrific, just extremely bland and very much geared to play the eagles

If I was an S2 owner that's the only real mod I would immediately want to do
 
Back
Top