Recommend a quiet compressor pedal

C1-ocaster

Last time I used a compressor pedal was like in the 80's on a buddies rig.
It was cool, but I never had one for myself.
I have experience with studio compressors for recording but not with guitar pedals.

Did some reading online and of course LOTS of pedals and opinions.
From what I read I concluded that I want a pedal that's not too fussy and that doesn't add hiss or noise, and
preferably under $200 new or used.

I play clean and high gain and anything in between. Amps are Egnater Vengeance and Fender 68 Custom deluxe reverb.

So, what's a pedal that would give me what I'm looking for?

I bought the Xotic SP as well, I don't use it much and it takes up very little space and it works well with high gain. Xotic, Keeley, Wampler, Empress, hard to go wrong with any of these.

I read a lot of good things about the old school classic MXR Dyna Comp.
Very low price even for a new one, and lots of great reviews.
Looks very simple too.

But, how quiet is this pedal in action?
How does it compare to the pedals suggested on this thread?

Hollis":34rh1m86 said:
Remember, compressor pedals are usually not the source of noise.

+1. Even in conjunction with an overdrive mine isn't that noisy...until ANY light on a fader is engaged, then it's noisy. The Wampler seems to be a little quieter than others.

Hollis":3ak4qp3v said:
Remember, compressor pedals are usually not the source of noise.

I can see that being true due to a compressor's function, yes, it can increase any noise that is already existing in the signal.
Still, it's interesting to note that users report noise with some pedals in comparison to others they've tried, which suggests that IF the signal is the same, then the added compressor pedal may be the culprit.

However, without knowing the reviewers signal chain it is impossible to ascertain whether the compressor pedal is adding the noise or simply increasing something that's already there.
Thanks for the reminder. :)

I'm going to get and try the Xotic SP compressor. Lots of positive reviews with nearly no negative ones from the sources I've read. Saw/heard a number of YT vids demo'ing this pedal and comparing it to others, mostly the Keeley 4C.
I liked the Xotic over the Keeley in nearly all the comparo's. Even the MXR Dyan Comp sounded as good and a bit better tha the Keeley in the vids.
Plus, the price is nice, and the small size is cool too.

I'm a fan of Wampler pedals and really love my Triple Wreck. Like TC Electronic too, but couldn't find any new compressors from TC Electronic.

The Diamond Compressor is also nice

I think MXR just reissued the Scipt Dyna Comp (again), real cool pedal, but not as quiet as others

All compressors raise the noise floor. Different settings produce less or more levels of audible noise.

If your rig is quiet to begin with adding a compressor shouldnt be an issue.

I use a Rothwell Lovesqueeze. Very simple and transparent compressor.

Business":204ixt1f said:
The Diamond Compressor is also nice

I think MXR just reissued the Scipt Dyna Comp (again), real cool pedal, but not as quiet as others

B's correct—the Diamond is a great pedal. I use the Wampler Ego Press because I fell in love with blend feature. Either pedal is a winner, but the Wampler gets my vote based on its blend.

lettmusic":4mke2is2 said:
+ 1 on the SP. it never leaves my pedalboard and it's on all the time.

Just got one but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I looked at the Keeley and Wampler pedals and the cool thing is the offer tweak controls right on the pedal in the form of easy to spin knobs.
The SP has 2 knobs and a mini toggle and then the internal dip switches.

Just found a smokin deal on a new Wampler Ego so I HAVE to get it now.
Then I can do a dual of the pedals with my own gear. :)

Business":i2wtvku3 said:
Barber Tone Press gets some good reviews too

great pedal, but the larger version I have is kind of noisy. I hope the new compact version is quieter.

Big fan of the Diamond and Empress comps.

google the onvilab compressor reviews, great resource from a bass perspective on compressors.

Back