School me on handguns

Shifted to "Hobbies" 'cause that's where the gun-related stuff is.

Left a "redirect" in "General" that'll expire in 2 days; that way peeps who were aware of the thread but hadn't posted in it will be able to find it easily. :thumbsup:

If you want a good general purpose handgun, Glock G19. That or a Sig P320 Compact. Because you live in Kalifornistan, you will be limited to 10 rounds. If you think you may encounter bear... I'm afraid that 10mm is gonna be your best bet. If bear are not a concern, a good 9mm will do just fine. I would highly recommend a polymer gun, as you can sweat all over them and not worry about it. My summer CHL is a Sig P365 and I switch to the Glock 19 in the winter months when I can carry outside the waistband while wearing a jacket.

MEH... Glocks are so vanilla and haven't really changed since their beginning. I have 2 and they work, but are plain like a family mobile..
But definately go with a quality auto loader. They are reliable and you have more shots per mag vs a revolver.
Look into an HK VP9. HK's are sexy.

MEH... Glocks are so vanilla and haven't really changed since their beginning. I have 2 and they work, but are plain like a family mobile..
But definately go with a quality auto loader. They are reliable and you have more shots per mag vs a revolver.
Look into an HK VP9. HK's are sexy.
Try a Glock 43x.

PS: My brother's 5 shot revolver is bulky - not a fan. I do like the Sig Ps and the S&W M&Ps but in the end the Glock 48 felt best in our (wife and mine) hands.

I already have a P365X. It's 12+1 and came factory with Night Sights..
It's the smallest and most comfortable Appendix Carry Rig I have.
No reason to replace it, unless I had money to burn.. :ROFLMAO:

Untitled.png

They are sexy and I love the grip. Perfect cc firearm.
For home defense my wife preferred the Glock 48 due to full grip and longer barrel.

I rotate between a 365XL and 320X Compact. Carried the 365XL for three years now and zero complaints, and zero failures; got the P320 about 6 months ago for cold weather carry.

I should clarify my statement by saying that I meant that a revolver is a perfect first choice for new handgun owners and IMO a great platform to learn on. Training was implied but not stated. Train,train...and then train more.
Plus, and old school 357 is great for caving a skull in if you run out of ammo. Just feels nice in the hand.

Glock 42 (.380) https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g42

Now some may argue why not get the 43 (9mm) instead. They think .380 is not manly enough, or some stupid shit like that LOL.
Anyhow I have fired both extensively, 9mm has too much rise/recoil in this small, and light weight category, the .380 is way better balanced, and better at getting back on target.

If you want a 9mm get the G17, it's larger but so fucking easy, and effortless to fire.

The G42 is my daily conceal carry.

Try a Glock 43x.

PS: My brother's 5 shot revolver is bulky - not a fan. I do like the Sig Ps and the S&W M&Ps but in the end the Glock 48 felt best in our (wife and mine) hands.

I've tried it, much better than the standard 43. But I still prefer the 42

Man, the idea of there being blanks in a gun in the heat of battle or when faced with a life threatening situation, one that could unfold in mere seconds, seems like a VERY bad idea to me.

What do you mean Willy? # of rounds?
The context was a revolver for protection while hiking out in the wilderness. Someone in the thread mentioned earlier if they had a revolver they’d load it with a couple of blanks and something else taking up three slots with only live rounds in the other three. Think it was to scare the animal off first without having to shoot it.

If that’s what they meant and I’m not misunderstanding, that’s a bad idea, imho.

A few weeks ago, I went out on my porch in the morning and thought I saw two big coyotes trotting through my yard. I grabbed my .38 and went to investigate. Turns out it was two pittbulls. I’ve never had pittbulls on this property in 37 years. It was weird. But when I went out to see what was up, when I noticed them at me neighbor’s fence and they noticed me, they came barreling at me. It felt very aggressive to me, like I was being charged. I lifted up my pistol and pulled the trigger. Nothing. Now the dogs are circling me. I’m yelling at them and one is giving me a look I perceive as threatening. They’re only about 20 feet away from me now. Pull the trigger again. Nothing. Now I’m starting to panic. They’re still coming towards me. I pull the trigger agin and finally get off a round. I didn’t shoot them because I saw they had collars on, and I was trying to scare them off. (My wife was pissed for me not killing them. I’ve got a 6 yo that plays in the yard. I don’t trust Pitbulls. At all.)

Anyway, I’d forgotten that I’d killed an armadillo in the yard not long before that and I used two rounds. I only had 4 rounds, not 6 like I thought. When I finally pulled off that first live round at those dogs, that’s the only thing that stopped them coming at me.

I’m saying that in the heat of battle, seconds can mean life or death.

Here’s a video of it. Sorry for the crappy quality. This is an indoor camera we have set up to watch out my bedroom window. (My neighbor put a telephone pole across our driveway. So I have to keep an eye on that POS.)

Last edited:
Glock 42 (.380) https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g42

Now some may argue why not get the 43 (9mm) instead. They think .380 is not manly enough, or some stupid shit like that LOL.
Anyhow I have fired both extensively, 9mm has too much rise/recoil in this small, and light weight category, the .380 is way better balanced, and better at getting back on target.

If you want a 9mm get the G17, it's larger but so fucking easy, and effortless to fire.

The G42 is my daily conceal carry.

Reading your other posts, that makes sense. I never reco 380 as a defensive round (does not not meet FBI min penetration, but when I do, it's for women

Reading your other posts, that makes sense. I never reco 380 as a defensive round (does not not meet FBI min penetration, but when I do, it's for women

LOL, and that's exactly why people chose a 9mm compact that they will have a harder time keeping on target while under pressure. 🤣

BTW 380 ACP does meet FBI min penetration of 12"

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/380-vs-9mm/
380-ammo-vs-9mm-ammo-in-ballistic-gel.jpg

Blue is 380 acp, red is 9mm

Last edited:
^ Nice collection for sure CrazyNutz. Wow. :yes:

I can see why you prefer the Glock 42. I actually got a 48 and my son just got the 43x. I really like the narrow body.
The context was a revolver for protection while hiking out in the wilderness. Someone in the thread mentioned earlier if they had a revolver they’d load it with a couple of blanks and something else taking up three slots with only live rounds in the other three. Think it was to scare the animal off first without having to shoot it.

If that’s what they meant and I’m not misunderstanding, that’s a bad idea, imho.

A few weeks ago, I went out on my porch in the morning and thought I saw two big coyotes trotting through my yard. I grabbed my .38 and went to investigate. Turns out it was two pittbulls. I’ve never had pittbulls on this property in 37 years. It was weird. But when I went out to see what was up, when I noticed them at me neighbor’s fence and they noticed me, they came barreling at me. It felt very aggressive to me, like I was being charged. I lifted up my pistol and pulled the trigger. Nothing. Now the dogs are circling me. I’m yelling at them and one is giving me a look I perceive as threatening. They’re only about 20 feet away from me now. Pull the trigger again. Nothing. Now I’m starting to panic. They’re still coming towards me. I pull the trigger agin and finally get off a round. I didn’t shoot them because I saw they had collars on, and I was trying to scare them off. (My wife was pissed for me not killing them. I’ve got a 6 yo that plays in the yard. I don’t trust Pitbulls. At all.)

Anyway, I’d forgotten that I’d killed an armadillo in the yard not long before that and I used two rounds. I only had 4 rounds, not 6 like I thought. When I finally pulled off that first live round at those dogs, that’s the only thing that stopped them coming at me.

I’m saying that in the heat of battle, seconds can mean life or death.

Here’s a video of it. Sorry for the crappy quality. This is an indoor camera we have set up to watch out my bedroom window. (My neighbor put a telephone pole across our driveway. So I have to keep an eye on that POS.)

Wow man. Those pittbulls were not joking around. That's why I'm not a revolver guy and why blanks would be pointless. That situation could have been worse.

Not enough info from the OP. What is it you are expecting to do or expecting this handgun to do for you ? Where do you live? Warm or cold climate? What is your budget ?

When I purchased mine the store had a ton of very cool stuff to choose from.
Noticed the owner had a Glock 19 on his hip.
Asked why, out of all the awesome hardware he had to choose from, a boring Glock?

Simply said it's the most reliable and dependable one in the store and if he ever needed it, it wouldn't let him down.
Good enough for me.

20210713_165614.jpg

When I purchased mine the store had a ton of very cool stuff to choose from.
Noticed the owner had a Glock 19 on his hip.
Asked why, out of all the awesome hardware he had to choose from, a boring Glock?

Simply said it's the most reliable and dependable one in the store and if he ever needed it, it wouldn't let him down.
Good enough for me.

View attachment 176389
Totally fair assessment. However, if like me you don't care for Glock grip angle or Glock triggers you can say the exact same thing about a VP9 or Walther PDP or M&P Shield. The only Glock I ever liked wasn't even a Glock. It was a Shadow Systems with the 1911 grip insert.

Back