SLO Clone...Should I build one?

GuitarGuyLP

So I am quite happy with how my Plexi turned out, so now I am thinking that I should build something with some gain!!!

I have a PCB set for a SLO Clone, so I am thinking about building a 100 watt SLO :rock:

Anyone here have any experience with SLO Clones? I saw a couple of threads talking about SLOs, and my GAS light is on!!!!

I missed the story on Titan amps, but I do know that his Titan Custom is based on the SLO Clone, and even uses the chassis from C3 amps!! I have heard that it sounds pretty good!

I've built two so far and they are pretty much the only amps I use anymore. The schematics and layouts are great. I've owned some pcb sets and they looked very high quality but to facilitate tweaking I ended up doing mine as turret builds. Since then I've even done my own turret layouts integrating all my mods for a cleaner build. The c3 chassis and other related parts are all top notch, that chassis is really really nice. I have one build with onetics trannies and one with heyboers. The onetics are supposed to be scary close to the deyoungs in the slo and soldano uses them in all his amps now except the slo. That being said at the volumes I play I can't tell the difference between the onetics and heyboers but the heyboers were half the cost. I say GO FOR IT!!!!

GuitarGuyLP":mlh1a8su said:
So I am quite happy with how my Plexi turned out, so now I am thinking that I should build something with some gain!!!

I have a PCB set for a SLO Clone, so I am thinking about building a 100 watt SLO :rock:

Anyone here have any experience with SLO Clones? I saw a couple of threads talking about SLOs, and my GAS light is on!!!!
Depends......are ya gonna sell it? :D

mjtripper":3tq3k0lk said:
I've built two so far and they are pretty much the only amps I use anymore. The schematics and layouts are great. I've owned some pcb sets and they looked very high quality but to facilitate tweaking I ended up doing mine as turret builds. Since then I've even done my own turret layouts integrating all my mods for a cleaner build. The c3 chassis and other related parts are all top notch, that chassis is really really nice. I have one build with onetics trannies and one with heyboers. The onetics are supposed to be scary close to the deyoungs in the slo and soldano uses them in all his amps now except the slo. That being said at the volumes I play I can't tell the difference between the onetics and heyboers but the heyboers were half the cost. I say GO FOR IT!!!!

That is what I was hoping to hear!!! Where did you buy your heyboers from? I was thinking about going with this set as they were supposedly developed for the SLO clone at the request of a bunch of guys on the forum. http://www.classictone.net/Universal-Pr ... rmers.html The prices that are shown are for when you buy 18 or more!!! OT will be $110, PT $121, Choke $20 (but I might choose a 5H choke instead of the 3H).

I actually prefer to do part changes on a well built PCB since I have a lot more experience PCB soldering, and a nice temp controlled soldering station.

That C3 chassis is very cool, but I am thinking about doing a smaller chassis that can be rack mounted. or possibly if I can make the configuration work maybe a 3U, or 4U rack unit with everything internal, and some nice big vents for the power tubes.

GuitarGuyLP":3v258qr6 said:
mjtripper":3v258qr6 said:

That is what I was hoping to hear!!! Where did you buy your heyboers from? I was thinking about going with this set as they were supposedly developed for the SLO clone at the request of a bunch of guys on the forum. http://www.classictone.net/Universal-Pr ... rmers.html The prices that are shown are for when you buy 18 or more!!! OT will be $110, PT $121, Choke $20 (but I might choose a 5H choke instead of the 3H).

I actually prefer to do part changes on a well built PCB since I have a lot more experience PCB soldering, and a nice temp controlled soldering station.

That C3 chassis is very cool, but I am thinking about doing a smaller chassis that can be rack mounted. or possibly if I can make the configuration work maybe a 3U, or 4U rack unit with everything internal, and some nice big vents for the power tubes.

I got them directly from heyboer. They came in pretty quick and have been great. I think the whole set was around $250 and worth every penny. The c3 chassis very sturdy so if you use something else make sure it's strong as the trannies are really heavy. These are the part numbers for the 100watt set.
PT 100w Heyboer HTS-9741
OT 100w Heyboer HTS-9740
Choke 10h Heyboer HTS-9743

mjtripper":2xxyuewu said:
GuitarGuyLP":2xxyuewu said:
mjtripper":2xxyuewu said:

I got them directly from heyboer. They came in pretty quick and have been great. I think the whole set was around $250 and worth every penny. The c3 chassis very sturdy so if you use something else make sure it's strong as the trannies are really heavy. These are the part numbers for the 100watt set.
PT 100w Heyboer HTS-9741
OT 100w Heyboer HTS-9740
Choke 10h Heyboer HTS-9743

Thanks for the part numbers, and the advice :rock:

From what I have read about the SLO if I build one it might replace my 5150 III.

Back