Snobby vintage shops

Norton666

Yesterday, I was in a city , in which I’ve not been since my touring days. As anyone who has spent significant time in “touring game” , you can attest to the fact we’ve all been to a shitload of cities , but we rarely have time to ACTUALLY see the city. Well yesterday, I had a whole day to kill. For me , this means finding the coolest guitar shop in town.
This particular shop had a KILLER selection of vintage gear. 50s-60s Gibson’s and Fenders. A wall of old Marshall’s and Fender tweed stuff. I have been on the hunt for an early to mid 60s ES-335 and a 50’s Junior for a while , and they had multiple choices of each!!! I thought I had hit the jackpot!!
4 gentlemen working in the shop and ALL 4 were gigantic snobby assholes!! I stood in the shop looking for a solid 20 minutes with nobody even approaching me. The first time I was acknowledged is when I reached up to turn the hang tag on a ‘63 335. KEEP IN MIND , I DIDNT EVEN TOUCH THE GUITAR! A salesman yelled from the corner of the showroom “ Hey , please don’t touch. The Guitar Center is down the road. That’s where you will find your Schecter”.

I nearly shit my pants. Bear in mind , I am tattooed pit to wrist. That being said , I owned a successful music/vintage shop for almost 10 years , and for the last 10 years , I run a security and life safety company. I was ready to leave with one of those guitars. I laughed for a second , after initial shell shock wore off , then left.
I’ve been to MANY vintage shops all over the country. WHY THE FUCK DO ALMOST ALL OF THEM HAVE TO UNBELIEVABLY , STUCK UP ASSHOLES!!!!???
Sorry , rant over. Cheers!

I always ask for others to get gear down - mom/pop getup or local guitar center. It's not my instrument and I'm not willing to take the blame for fucking up something I don't own.

I had the opposite experience recently. I was in Guitar Center, and they had an absolutely thrashed Mesa cab. The tolex was ripped and torn all over, there was a big tear in the grill cloth, it was beat to shit, but it was the straight box with the slant baffle. I would totally gig with that and not care about beating it up. Since there was no price tag on it, I asked the first employee I saw (in this case, the manager) the price.

"$699" he replied. Without missing a beat, I shot back a "Go fuck yourself!" In hindsight, it was rather rude, but $700 for a thrashed guitar cab?! I get that particular Mesa cab is getting rare, but it looks like someone stuck a speaker cable in it, closed the other end in their trunk, and dragged it to gigs! Does "reliced" gear apply to speaker cabs?! WTF!

Other than that, I've always had good dealings with our local boutique shops here in Cleveland. They've always been friendly and helpful. They just get protective of their gear (understandably), so you gotta play by their rules. If I had some snob drop a "Schecter at Guitar Center" remark at me, I would have told him the same thing I told the other guy. "Go fuck yourself!"

Norton666":22c4pfge said:
Yesterday, I was in a city , in which I’ve not been since my touring days. As anyone who has spent significant time in “touring game” , you can attest to the fact we’ve all been to a shitload of cities , but we rarely have time to ACTUALLY see the city. Well yesterday, I had a whole day to kill. For me , this means finding the coolest guitar shop in town.
This particular shop had a KILLER selection of vintage gear. 50s-60s Gibson’s and Fenders. A wall of old Marshall’s and Fender tweed stuff. I have been on the hunt for an early to mid 60s ES-335 and a 50’s Junior for a while , and they had multiple choices of each!!! I thought I had hit the jackpot!!
4 gentlemen working in the shop and ALL 4 were gigantic snobby assholes!! I stood in the shop looking for a solid 20 minutes with nobody even approaching me. The first time I was acknowledged is when I reached up to turn the hang tag on a ‘63 335. KEEP IN MIND , I DIDNT EVEN TOUCH THE GUITAR! A salesman yelled from the corner of the showroom “ Hey , please don’t touch. The Guitar Center is down the road. That’s where you will find your Schecter”.

I nearly shit my pants. Bear in mind , I am tattooed pit to wrist. That being said , I owned a successful music/vintage shop for almost 10 years , and for the last 10 years , I run a security and life safety company. I was ready to leave with one of those guitars. I laughed for a second , after initial shell shock wore off , then left.
I’ve been to MANY vintage shops all over the country. WHY THE FUCK DO ALMOST ALL OF THEM HAVE TO UNBELIEVABLY , STUCK UP ASSHOLES!!!!???
Sorry , rant over. Cheers!

Should have asked if he worked there previously... then tell him his attitude sucks and ask for the manager/owner. If he says he’s the owner, apologize and tell him how sad it will make you to see the store go out of business.

I can relate with non chain store employees because it seems that 99.99.99% of people that walk into a music store are entitled assholes that feel they can do whatever the hell they want. He was a bit overboard in his attitude and remark I agree but..it's just zero fun to work in music retail these days. Everyone wants everything for nothing,beat the shit out of your floor stock and usually a total waste of time. No..you shouldn't have been treated that way but I'm sure the guy is barely scratching out a living if at all doing what he probably used to love doing.

I went into this little shop and asked if they have any preamp tubes. The kind elderly lady said that she did I. The tech area. I asked how much? She said $10. I tested them all just to make sure they worked. I dropped $100 and talked her into giving me 11tubes for $100 out the door.

What were they? JAN 12AX7's five mullard old 12AX7s, two GE 12AX7's and a few others. Nice lady killer deal very good testing. Mullards for $10 a pop. They had a tester there. I made out like a bandit.

I go in there a few weeks later and the husband was there and I asked if they had any other tubes. He replied "my stupid damn wife sold them all for nothing. Damn bitch"

I responded by saying that I was the guy, and I told him "I hope you realize that you are a complete piece of shit for talking about your wife like that. Fuck off and I left.

I will never walk into that store again. These people are I. Their 70's. I have no respect for that jerk.

swamptrashstompboxes":359wjsha said:
I went into this little shop and asked if they have any preamp tubes. The kind elderly lady said that she did I. The tech area. I asked how much? She said $10. I tested them all just to make sure they worked. I dropped $100 and talked her into giving me 11tubes for $100 out the door.

What were they? JAN 12AX7's five mullard old 12AX7s, two GE 12AX7's and a few others. Nice lady killer deal very good testing. Mullards for $10 a pop. They had a tester there. I made out like a bandit.

I go in there a few weeks later and the husband was there and I asked if they had any other tubes. He replied "my stupid damn wife sold them all for nothing. Damn bitch"

I responded by saying that I was the guy, and I told him "I hope you realize that you are a complete piece of shit for talking about your wife like that. Fuck off and I left.

I will never walk into that store again. These people are I. Their 70's. I have no respect for that jerk.

You robbed them blind, then went back to steal some more from an old lady who didn’t know any better... and he’s the piece of shit in this story?

some dude":8f4136gd said:
swamptrashstompboxes":8f4136gd said:

You robbed them blind, then went back to steal some more from an old lady who didn’t know any better... and he’s the piece of shit in this story?

She said the price. I asked her. I don't think that I am the ass. It was the husband who was blatantly disrespecting his wife.

You can call it what you want but I paid what she offered. I was respful and friendly. I wasn't respectful to the husband because he was slandering her. I grew up respecting women.

I really don't know if I could have held my tounge after the Shecter remark. Sounds like he's so bored he's rehearsing insults.lol. Nothing against Shecter but he's totally profiling people that come in the store.

Detroit1973":2jr293vz said:
What's the Name of your Security Company? I work in the industry so i'm just curious.

Two locations, interior and exterior cameras battery backup on everything two systems, a shot gun and a 45, and I am proficient with throwing knives and I live in a stand your ground state. I also have a conceal and carry permit. ?

Also a crocker spaniel and a German shepherd. The cocker is actually the meaner one, but she gets the shepherd going really fast.

Cheers

swamptrashstompboxes":4ed14wg3 said:
Detroit1973":4ed14wg3 said:
What's the Name of your Security Company? I work in the industry so i'm just curious.

Two locations, interior and exterior cameras battery backup on everything two systems, a shot gun and a 45, and I am proficient with throwing knives and I live in a stand your ground state. I also have a conceal and carry permit. ?

Also a crocker spaniel and a German shepherd. The cocker is actually the meaner one, but she gets the shepherd going really fast.

Cheers
I believe he was referring to the OP..

Racerxrated":1ynxi4ct said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1ynxi4ct said:
Detroit1973":1ynxi4ct said:

Cheers
I believe he was referring to the OP..

My bad. Ohhh ok. I thought it was directing what I thought was a smart-ass response to my signature. I usually do not post it in my sig for that reason but I am on an amp quest and it is easier to have it there than to copy and paste. Lol.

Sorry bro.

All still stands for me Lol.

Detroit1973":13k27pwd said:

My bad bro. I apologize about my comment. I didn't get the reference up top.

Sorry and cheers!

An acquaintance of mine owns the local & nationally famous vintage shop here. Such a good dude - I took an amp in to have the power amp tubes replaced and the amp biased up. I brought the tubes and this particular amp has the test points and adjustments on the outside of the chassis. I came back a couple of days later, amp was ready and ripping, and I asked "how much"? He said "just pay me for the 12ax7 I replaced, you had one going microphonic. $12." I said "no way, are you kidding me?" and gave him $40.

Keep the good dudes in the small shops taken care of. They are a dying breed.

Rdodson":3g0bz5hj said:
An acquaintance of mine owns the local & nationally famous vintage shop here. Such a good dude - I took an amp in to have the power amp tubes replaced and the amp biased up. I brought the tubes and this particular amp has the test points and adjustments on the outside of the chassis. I came back a couple of days later, amp was ready and ripping, and I asked "how much"? He said "just pay me for the 12ax7 I replaced, you had one going microphonic. $12." I said "no way, are you kidding me?" and gave him $40.

No kidding. There is a wonderful under the radar mom and pop shop that frequent. This particular gentleman is so kind and friendly. He is in his late 70's and I stop by once a week to see what he has and because truth be told I think he gets lonely alone there. He gives me good prices on a lot of nice stuff. I bought four different vintage horns from him and a few guitars, a really nice banjo and my Bandmaster. He is like an extra grandfather lol. I have known him for three years now, he knew me before marriage, marriage, the birth of my daughter and my pending divorce. He is always asking about my family and daughter. He is as good as it gets.

swamptrashstompboxes":1uguc0fs said:
Rdodson":1uguc0fs said:

No kidding. There is a wonderful under the radar mom and pop shop that frequent. This particular gentleman is so kind and friendly. He is in his late 70's and I stop by once a week to see what he has and because truth be told I think he gets lonely alone there. He gives me good prices on a lot of nice stuff. I bought four different vintage horns from him and a few guitars, a really nice banjo and my Bandmaster. He is like an extra grandfather lol. I have known him for three years now, he knew me before marriage, marriage, the birth of my daughter and my pending divorce. He is always asking about my family and daughter. He is as good as it gets.

Ok,these two posts made my day. Thanks guys...needed that.

Rdodson":110vma83 said:

Yes, it's about building a relationship with the store. It only benefits you in the long run.

Back