Synergy Inbound!

I have considered buying the Syn5050 power amp, but I see a lot of negative things on it. Does it not sound big and chunky? I am currently using a 4xKT88 power amp
I don't need a lot of volume (recording mostly) so that wasn't the issue, it just seemed to lack girth and push. It's not that obvious until you compare directly with other power amps. Coming from 4 x KT88's will be a rude shock I imagine.

The modules can have a sameness, but that is where the self control comes in to not buy them all.
Yep, you really need a few power amps, or one amp with lots of variable controls to avoid this. It's a big reason I lost interest in the system - the preamp modules multiply like rabbits until you realise an amp's power section is a significant part of it's overall tone / response.

I don't need a lot of volume (recording mostly) so that wasn't the issue, it just seemed to lack girth and push. It's not that obvious until you compare directly with other power amps. Coming from 4 x KT88's will be a rude shock I imagine.

Yep, you really need a few power amps, or one amp with lots of variable controls to avoid this. It's a big reason I lost interest in the system - the preamp modules multiply like rabbits until you realise an amp's power section is a significant part of it's overall tone / response.
I was using heads through a load box through a stereo effects rack reamped through a solid state stereo power amp. I originally saw Synergy as a more simple way to get an all tube stereo rig. One reason I was looking at the Syn5050 was to get this even smaller.

This is what I have, and what I'd recommend...when you can find them. I've got EL34s in one side, and 6L6s in the other, and I can switch between them when I switch channels/modules. Sure, it's not gonna sound exactly like the power amp of the module's name sake, but the RT2/50 isn't a bland, neutral sounding power amp like some of the others are. I can't imagine ever selling mine. It's got a pretty unique set of features while also sounding great.
I was thinking of selling mine but not sure why. I have had it for eternity and may need to reconsider!!

I was using heads through a load box through a stereo effects rack reamped through a solid state stereo power amp. I originally saw Synergy as a more simple way to get an all tube stereo rig. One reason I was looking at the Syn5050 was to get this even smaller.
Yeah it sounds good on paper, but didn't really deliver the punch expected. I don't think it was a faulty unit, others have had a similar experience I believe. Just running into the FX return of almost any amp sounded better - probably the bigger iron.

I am super tempted to get one but I have an FM3 I'm using now. I keep thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

I'm down to one amp and I hate that feeling even if I didn't play them as much as I should to justify them. I could have been buried with my Atla and my Mark IV. I'm hoping to replace them both this year. Jason and Shea have something they are cooking up together so when March comes around and I get my bonus that will likely be the first purchase if it's not out yet I'm getting another atla. The Mark IV I'm tempted to just go with the VII. Seems people still prefer the IV so I would like to try one.

I've got an 800 2204 that I built for a friend using Jason's st1 board with some mods recommended by my friend Alex from Sirius amplification and fucking A it sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I'm giving it away to a friend who had his amps stolen. I'm trying to reduce the noise floor so I redid my lead dress. Just need to rewire the input jacks and bias it then it's off to its new home. I have another 2204 build in the works. A 5150, a Mata Amp gt120, and a slo clone in the works now so I'm trying to stay motivated and hopefully I can just build a variety of amps when I have a little extra coin.

I went Synergy last summer and it’s an amazing system. I’m using the SYN-2 into a KSR PA-25 and usually a Mesa 2x12 rec cab. I have 4 modules and I really don’t have any desire to get another module anytime soon. I have uberschall, SLO, BE-DLX and 2CP. I had the ecstasy for a short time but I returned it. I just didn’t gel with it and I felt like the tone I was trying to get from it was really just too similar to the SLO and BE-DLX in a way. I’ve been tempted to get one of the fryette modules or the Engl savage. For me, I feel like nothing can beat the uberschall module. That’s really the perfect mod for me.
I have the Ultra Lead and the Powerball. I actually like them both better than the Uberschall.

It's here and it's crazy good. Ridiculous, really. I got the Ecstasy module first, it does the 101b thing for days. And it gives me independent eq for blue and red channels. So. Damn. Good.

Hope to have the tweed bassman module or plexi next week. Or DS. going to have to make some tough choices lol

Back