This video shows why I'm a rocker

Blake and Seth (on vocals now with Power Trip) have a somewhat new band called Fugitive some may dig - Nick Stewart from PT was playing with them but not sure moving forward if he's going to continue with the band:

I have thought about this a bit. Is it the standard tuning that rings better in our older ears? That old school boosted Marshall tone just works for me. Super modern tone with dropped way down tuning just doesn't hit the same.

Agreed. I guess drop-tuned-to-hell stuff is supposed to be heavy AF but I find a lot of it to be boring or just plain irritating.

Last edited:
Blake and Seth (on vocals now with Power Trip) have a somewhat new band called Fugitive some may dig - Nick Stewart from PT was playing with them but not sure moving forward if he's going to continue with the band:

Fuck me runnin' that's great music!

lighters in the air concert.png

I’m at the doctors office right now so I’ll check it out later. I just discovered another band that for some reason I really like….airborne…I think that is their name…

Agreed. I guess drop-tuned-to-hell stuff is supposed to be heavy AF but I find a lot of it to be boring or just plain irritating.
There’s so much pop hard rock/metal now that uses low tunings it’s made it a top 40 sound, it’s just a big wash, almost like a keyboard pad really. I still like down tuned stuff where it’s played with some snap, riffed out, especially if done with a more old school tone. Mostly I play and prefer A440 or close. Have one guitar at C# standard when the urge strikes.
My absolute favorite (insert sarcasm here) is when I’m watching a demo and as soon as they hit the strings you hear Booooaaawww. Yup, I’m really gonna hear what this amp/pedal is doing now..😂

I have thought about this a bit. Is it the standard tuning that rings better in our older ears? That old school boosted Marshall tone just works for me. Super modern tone with dropped way down tuning just doesn't hit the same.
I think it's just a case that all those old circuits were optimized for E standard. Trying low tunings through older Marshalls and other amps, it takes some shaping of the guitar signal prior to the amp or it's just flub city.

I think it's just a case that all those old circuits were optimized for E standard. Trying low tunings through older Marshalls and other amps, it takes some shaping of the guitar signal prior to the amp or it's just flub city.
Not necessarily considering how many folks used Marshall’s as bass amps. An obscure guy named Tony did alright through some old Laneys. I actually really dig the sound of my C# guitar into my 75 Marshall. Some older circuits get flubbed out with A440 just by using a Gibson. IME, an amp that is fine with a Gibson can also handle a low tuning.
This band is a favorite of mine and they recorded with old Marshall's and Oranges.

When I first heard Power Trip, I was blown away. Best band I've listened to in years. They really brought back that old school thrash sound and Riley Gale was the perfect frontman. I think they were on their way to be huge before his death. Glad to see them still moving forward but Riley is going to be hard to replace. New singer is good but Riley's presence is definitely missing. They are killing it here.

Last edited:
Back