tuner to get for setting intonation?

dstroud

I have some guitars that I need to set intonation on. I really just have these tc electronics clip on tuners. I’m thinking I should have something better for intonation setting. What do you guys use? TIA!

Korg Pitchblack Custom or Peterson is what I use but some of the best luthiers that I've met just use a plain old Korg rack tuner or the old Boss TU12 for intonation.

This. It’s literally 10x more accurate than anything else mentioned so far. Not really necessary for everyday tuning but essential for setting intonation.
Pitchblack Custom and Peterson are ± 0.1 cent, ST-300 is ± 0.02 and you rarely see something that's more accurate than ± 1 cent in most workshops.

I use Cleartune app.

Attachments

• 492414F7-EE17-4AA6-87B9-4965BCD551FA.png
    492414F7-EE17-4AA6-87B9-4965BCD551FA.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
I don’t even use the dongle. Just plug the guitar into an amp while adjusting and use the mic. It’s still going to be far more accurate than the consistency of the fretting pressure you use while setting the intonation.
My house can get noisy, I should probably plug in.

I must be way old school - I just use whatever tuner's around and the 12th fret with a bridge slot screwdriver.

I must be way old school - I just use whatever tuner's around and the 12th fret with a bridge slot screwdriver.
Don't fret about it. When you get finished intonating the last string on your Les Paul, 2 or 3 other strings will already be out of tune \:D/
Come to think of it, don't fret them at all. That'll help tremendously in the tuning stability department!

Back