What are y’all using for digital distribution of your music?

Norton666

My old bands content contract has expired with our previous label , so they pulled all of our tunes off of iTunes , Spotify etc. I now own all of the rights and I just want to get it back up there. I’m not worried about making money off of it , I just want to make the songs available. What do you guys use? I’ve had a couple of folks tell me that CDBABY is the way to go. CHEERS!

We use distrokid, never had any issues. I believe there is a yearly fee, but it is pretty minimal.

Also make sure you set up a bandcamp page for your band and upload all of your releases along with spending 30 minutes to make the pages look decent along with adding tags and descriptions. A lot of people just buy assorted albums on bandcamp. One of my old bands that was never signed, never toured, is on hiatus and hasn’t done anything in 6+ years ... it generates around $30 to $50 a month still from bandcamp purchases.

I would avoid CDBaby for the simple fact they attempt to claim ownership of anything you publish through them.a

Distrokid seems pretty decent and I haven't heard any horror stories about them.

I use CDBaby. I don’t recall any language that they own anything. Nightflameauto, can you point to where you saw this?

stratjacket":110imfxd said:
I use CDBaby. I don’t recall any language that they own anything. Nightflameauto, can you point to where you saw this?
It's not in their verbiage, but if you post your own song anywhere else online and it's been pushed through CDBaby, they'll cease and desist you relentlessly over it.

Several youtube takedowns have occurred due to bands posting their own music. And that type of thing doesn't sit right with me so I've avoided them.

nightflameauto":2s2gp1xi said:
stratjacket":2s2gp1xi said:
It's not in their verbiage, but if you post your own song anywhere else online and it's been pushed through CDBaby, they'll cease and desist you relentlessly over it.

Several youtube takedowns have occurred due to bands posting their own music. And that type of thing doesn't sit right with me so I've avoided them.

Could be wrong, but I think that's part of their service to you. If you publish through them, part of that is they will collect anywhere your song is used so no one else is using your music unauthorized. I believe you can opt out of this or you can let them know it is you. But they don't own your music.

https://cdbaby.com/publishing

stratjacket":inopdkj7 said:
nightflameauto":inopdkj7 said:
stratjacket":inopdkj7 said:

Could be wrong, but I think that's part of their service to you. If you publish through them, part of that is they will collect anywhere your song is used so no one else is using your music unauthorized. I believe you can opt out of this or you can let them know it is you. But they don't own your music.

https://cdbaby.com/publishing

Maybe it's a misunderstanding situation, but I've known three individuals that got raked over the coals by CDBaby for daring to post their own work somewhere. The stories left a bad taste in my mouth.

Back