What is the piece of gear you have been most disappointed in trying or purchasing?

Mako Mak4 preamp. Looked great on paper. Great build quality. The clean and crunch channels were okay but just kinda flat. The Makoplex and Dorado channel were a unusable squealing feedbacking mess even with the gain set pretty low. I sent it in to have him check it out and even had it slightly modded for less gain since he said "it's cause it has so much gain". Got it back and barely any better. He then says cause "it's hard to get good tubes" and he assumed "everyone was using a gate". Design error. I don't need a gate. Never needed a gate with any amp. I hate gates. Later models had a "fix" of some sort.

Mako Mak4 preamp. Looked great on paper. Great build quality. The clean and crunch channels were okay but just kinda flat. The Makoplex and Dorado channel were a unusable squealing feedbacking mess even with the gain set pretty low. I sent it in to have him check it out and even had it slightly modded for less gain since he said "it's cause it has so much gain". Got it back and barely any better. He then says cause "it's hard to get good tubes" and he assumed "everyone was using a gate". Design error. I don't need a gate. Never needed a gate with any amp. I hate gates. Later models had a "fix" of some sort.
Andrew was a headcase. Problems galore/missing pieces/non-functional features on my Custom 100. I hope he met the shark from Jaws.

Forgot also pickups: Bare Knuckles (too sterile sounding, lacking tonal nuances, and just no where near as good as most other boutique pickups) & MCP’s (pretty good, just not as good as I was expecting)

Marshall AFD SE.
Marshall Silver Jubilee.

Both are too thin, no bottom end.
Maybe a razor in the mix, but not my cup of tea.
The AFD, totally agree. But the Jube? Any Jubilee I owned had enough low end to make a Recto take notice....not as much but I couldn't get the Bass past 6 or it overwhelmed my cabs. The very early versions did have less lows than the later preamp revisions; maybe that was what you had. I've never had one with a super early serial.
Edit: One thing to mention; you have to run either the output master or the lead master above 6 or it won't sound as good.

Ok.. gonna get crucified here but it was a VHT poweramp. Not the 2150 but it was brand new around the time of the first Axe-fx and about $1400 maybe?? I ordered it from GC cause the reviews were absolutely stellar and If I didnt like it I didnt have to pay for return shipping. It arrived and I was pretty stoked, took it to my rehearsal space, plugged it in with the Axe-fx into my 4x12 and was so underwhelmed. Even the other guys in the room were surprised at how bad it sounded. My buddy has his Mesa 50/50 he brought in and it blew the VHT all to hell. With all the hype about their poweramps and the clips I've heard I honestly think the amp had issues, even though it arrived fine. Too many great players had raved about that model and it just sounded like ass... It went back the next day.

The AFD, totally agree. But the Jube? Any Jubilee I owned had enough low end to make a Recto take notice....not as much but I couldn't get the Bass past 6 or it overwhelmed my cabs. The very early versions did have less lows than the later preamp revisions; maybe that was what you had. I've never had one with a super early serial.
Edit: One thing to mention; you have to run either the output master or the lead master above 6 or it won't sound as good.
It does open up after 5 or 6 but I can't jive with it. That also explains why I can get along with a recto. I know they sound great, but I could never get along with it.

I had an early serial and a later serial. The early one sounded thinner for sure. It got sold. The later one had more of everything and it’s a keeper.

TC Electronic Mimic

Got one for a stereo pedal rig I built and now it’s just an expensive output box. Any settings I try put a fakeness weird coating on everything.

For me, it has to be a first gen (non-multi-watt) 3 channel Triple Rectifier. I saved up for so long to buy that thing, and I had to wait about a month before I could buy the cab to play it through, and I was so excited, but when I finally turned it on, it was just…meh.

Too much low end that sounded like a blanket was placed over the speakers, and no matter how I boosted it, no matter how loud I played it, I just couldn’t get it to track fast enough. 16th note palm mutes sounded like mush, and chords sounded way too congested. I wouldn’t try other Rectifiers for years, but when I played through a Rev. D, I finally discovered how shading these amps are!

But, I never want to play a 3 channel Rectifier again.

I was going through my head of all the stuff I have owned and was thinking about stuff I was hyped about for years, got a chance to try, and was instantly just disappointed as it either sucked, or, was not what I thought it was going to be. Thought I would poll the audience.
I think we just did a thread like this but that's cool. They are always entertaining :yes:

BTW - what is yours?

Definitely Marshall JVM410. It had no rust to it like all full tube Marshall’s do . Back to back with my TSL 100 it sounded small
For sure. I played a JVM410 on several occasions (I think 4 total and they were all different amps) and always walked away with the same impression. Congested. Fake sounding. Noisy. Cheap. Just nothing about it wow'd me. The 205 was much better IMO. Similarly, I was not overly impressed with the Mark V and when I went into it I was thinking it was going to be a be all end all amp. I'm just not a Mark guy :dunno:

I think we just did a thread like this but that's cool. They are always entertaining :yes:

BTW - what is yours?

For sure. I played a JVM410 on several occasions (I think 4 total and they were all different amps) and always walked away with the same impression. Congested. Fake sounding. Noisy. Cheap. Just nothing about it wow'd me. The 205 was much better IMO. Similarly, I was not overly impressed with the Mark V and when I went into it I was thinking it was going to be a be all end all amp. I'm just not a Mark guy :dunno:
Ah my bad. Mine were a Bogner 101b and a prs private stock.

Strymon El Capistan - on paper it's the perfect analog delay for me with how warm, ambient, and out-of-the-way it can get. But when you use it with high gain, you can really hear that there's some kind of weird tape saturation filter (that's not as apparent with lower gain tones) that you can't dial out, no matter how you set the Bias. Basically the pedal put a very strange sounding, distracting layer of hissy saturation over the repeats that just did something to the sound I couldn't deal with. Sucks, I really wanted to like it. The treble filtering and modulation was basically perfect but that tape saturation effect was just too pronounced and exaggerated, and it killed the pedal for me.

Strymon DIG - again, on paper it's the perfect digital delay, and I really thought it would succeed where the El Cap had failed for me, but the Tone control DOES NOT IMPACT THE FIRST REPEAT. I realize that this sounds so stupid that some of you might think I am mistaken, but no. The first repeat is just as pristine. and therefore just as demanding of your attention, as the dry signal. So, because you can't darken the first repeat, so there's no real way to move it out of the way of your playing and into the background other than turning down the Mix so low that the delay it's basically off. Strymon placing the Tone control where they did in the circuit was just so dumb, especially considering all the'd need to to is slightly rearrange the way the Tone works in the circuit that would have allowed the "compounding Tone knob effect with each repeat" to happen while ALSO influencing the first repeat. This really was a truly disappointing pedal for me, because otherwise it basically did everything I ever wanted out of any delay. But nope, the Tone control thing took the whole pedal off the table for me.
I have both of those delays (El Cap and The DIG) on my board along with a rarely used MXR Carbon Copy analog delay and a Digitech Polara reveb pedal. I love them all and I have been through tons of pedals over the years. Many people have great things to say about the two Strymon delays you mentioned including Dave Friedman. Tone is subjective. Someone elses favorite pedals my not do much for me. I have bought and sold and gave away so many pedals over the years. The ones on my board now are staying.

I have both of those delays (El Cap and The DIG) on my board along with a rarely used MXR Carbon Copy analog delay and a Digitech Polara reveb pedal. I love them all and I have been through tons of pedals over the years. Many people have great things to say about the two Strymon delays you mentioned including Dave Friedman. Tone is subjective. Someone elses favorite pedals my not do much for me. I have bought and sold and gave away so many pedals over the years. The ones on my board now are staying.

Oh sure, I'm not saying they're objectively bad pedals or anything. Clearly they're very popular and loved by many. I recognize that my opinion here is obviously an outlier. And I'm glad you found them and they work for you!

Still, I wrote my opinion in case somebody else feels the same way I do. As popular as these pedals are, it can be easy to hear one and maybe not like it, but convince yourself that it's good and it's you yourself that's the problem, because so many other people can't be wrong, can they? And then you've stuck yourself with something you maybe don't love, when there's likely something a bit different that might work better for you just around the corner. If this hypothetical person reads some opinions that mirror their own "maybe this gear isn't the most perfect version of X after all" stances, then it might help them admit that to themselves so they can move on to find that gear that's better for them. :)

BTW - what is yours?

Jvm just lost that marshall roar . It let me down like you said as well

Back