Who has a newer Rebel 30 Mk 2? How do you like it?

Roddy

Just wondering how folks like the newer MK2 Rebel 30? I had an original version that I didn't care for to much.. Wondering if the newer ones were better sounding?

I was looking to replace my Rebel 20 with a 2 channel amp so I tried the original 30 back in 2011. I tried it out for a few weeks and sent it back within my 30 day return period. I remembering really liking the clean but the overdrive didn't do it for me (I needed higher and more modern gain).

So when the Mk2's came out (with zero fanfare) I waited and waited for any demo videos or reviews...there were none. So I finally rolled the dice and ordered the 30. Wanted to see if the clean was as nice as that original 30 and more importantly was the overdrive more to my liking. I spent a good three weeks with it and it definitely has a more modern gain compared to the original. But overall it was just OK, not great. Nowadays I get better gain tones from my pedals going into a clean amp. BTW, I still have my Rebel 20 but after playing several other amps over the last few years, my take on the Rebels now is that they are ok sounding amps but nothing special.

For the money, I would keep looking. There are plenty of amps out there in that price range that people have actually demo'd, reviewed and play. Hopefully some actual owners of the Mk2 will post their impressions from the last 10 months or so (if there are any lurking here)...I just don't know because no one talks about 'em.

Thinking more about this one...I honestly don't know why Egnater even rolled out the Mk2 Rebels. There's like 2 demos of the 30 on youtube, good luck finding any detailed reviews, and no promotion from Egnater.

Heck they have promoted other products better that were NEVER RELEASED TO PRODUCTION...Detroit series, E2, TOL 60, and so on. Egnater is very frustrating these days. The forum is dead except for the "my tweaker died" threads. Sadly, the name is better known now for all their amp issues (the overseas stuff) and for teasing product releases that never see the light of day. I was getting excited about Synergy but that was back in October, no real news since and I haven't heard anything from NAMM 2016 so I don't know what's going on there.

I sure hope Egnater rises like a phoenix when Synergy is released but it sure feels like the Egnater era is winding down right now. Miss the days when Egnater was truly boutique and innovative with the Mod 50 / Mod 100 / E4, etc.

I have re-tubed the preamp with vintage 12ax7 and the best OD tube ended up to be a Telefunken grey ribbed plate ecc83 whoa its fantastic realism !
The amp harmonics respond with great effect as I went thru tubes , my tubes have made the amp screaming with sustain and the crunch tones are superior than any amp ive played ,
I ended up running 4-6av6 tubes and 3-12ax7 tubes in the preamp and its outrageous awesome beyond its stock steril harsh texture honestly !
The Tungsram ecc83 is amazing and not to be passed up if you can get a decent one , the extended range has lush sonics and beyond words to describe !
Some amps respond to tube changes and the Rebel 30 head is very responsive indeedy !

kingsryche":lbxo53qe said:
Thinking more about this one...I honestly don't know why Egnater even rolled out the Mk2 Rebels. There's like 2 demos of the 30 on youtube, good luck finding any detailed reviews, and no promotion from Egnater.

Heck they have promoted other products better that were NEVER RELEASED TO PRODUCTION...Detroit series, E2, TOL 60, and so on. Egnater is very frustrating these days. The forum is dead except for the "my tweaker died" threads. Sadly, the name is better known now for all their amp issues (the overseas stuff) and for teasing product releases that never see the light of day. I was getting excited about Synergy but that was back in October, no real news since and I haven't heard anything from NAMM 2016 so I don't know what's going on there.

I sure hope Egnater rises like a phoenix when Synergy is released but it sure feels like the Egnater era is winding down right now. Miss the days when Egnater was truly boutique and innovative with the Mod 50 / Mod 100 / E4, etc.

+1
Yes I feel exactly the same.
Also add that my Rebel 30 was greatly improved with a full tube replacement of the stock tubes.
Especially the gain tones were much improved :rock:

I have both mk1 and 2. I agree with kingsryche, the clean on mk1 I'd great, lush and all that jazz, but the overdrive channel, although quite raw and powerful sounding lacked tightness. Very rough around the edges. But u assume that's what they were going for when they made the amp?

As for the MkII, for my style, hard rock, it's an improvement. The cleans are beautiful, Star of the amp in my opinion, same as the Mk1 although not much headroom. The overdrive channel still retaining much of its raw character seemed to be tightened up considerably and more gain was added. It can definetly rock!

All in all its a fine amp, but in the mix I've always had a problem being heard ad it's quite a mid heavy amp. Maybe it was my guitar, amp player? Not sure but there are definetly better options out there for the same or a bit more money

Back