Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 12, 2020 7:43pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 12:11pm 
Supah Stah

So I regretfully listed a guitar for sale to help pay for closing costs on the house I am buying. Dude messages me and sends me a pic of all his cash and is ready to come get it NOW! I couldn't hook up with him because I had a Friday night show and there wasn't enough time for me to get off work, go home, shower, eat dinner, load up, and try to spend 20 minutes with my wife and kids before rushing out the door. I told him I worked Saturday till only 2:00 but then had another show Saturday night (early show with 7:00 start time) and I'd most likely wouldn't have time being that I'd have to head out around 4:30.

So he sends me a message Saturday and says that he's in my area ( he lives about an hour away). I'm thinking "why?" I never said to come up, I said I wouldn't have time Saturday either. But literally 20 mins before he sent me a message the seller of the house called and said she would pay for closing costs...Which saved me $5,000! So now I don't need to sell the guitar because I have already my down payment cash but didn't have cash for closing costs. I sent him a message apologizing and told him that my house deal came through and I wanted to keep the guitar. He didn't take it very well and slung some insults at me. I tried to let him know why I had listed it to begin with but he wouldn't hear it. I felt bad for the dude and said F it, I'll give him the damn guitar...whatever. When I went to send him the message he already blocked me on Facebook.

It's still bothering me a day later. I don't like letting people down, but damn...I really love the guitar and was relieved that I didn't NEED to sell it. Sorry for the long post, I guess I'm just trying to justify my decision :confused:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 12:19pm 
Supah Stah

Are you human?: 951
Dick move but shit happens. He'll get over it. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 12:50pm 
Supah Stah

Fuck him. It's not like you sold it online, got paid, then decided to keep it.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 1:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

You can change your mind at any point of the transaction, it's your guitar. You never had him come to the house then renig on the sale. The fact that he got angry over it shows he is unstable, would be paying with counterfeit money or there was something shady going on, no insults were warranted.

People are getting stranger and stranger these days. :confused:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 1:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

You can change your mind at any point of the transaction, it's your guitar. You never had him come to the house then renig on the sale. The fact that he got angry over it shows he is unstable, would be paying with counterfeit money or there was something shady going on, no insults were warranted.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 1:18pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Eh, if you agreed on a deal it is good form to follow through. I don't necessarily fault you for what happened. Kind of sucks for that guy, but the world isn't fair all of the time. He'll get over it. Despite your guilt, sounds like it all worked out. If he was so upset he had to block you, what else can you do?

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 1:35pm 
Apprentice NOOB

In my opinion you have nothing to feel guilty about.. we’ve all had a piece of gear we wanted and someone beat us to it. So his sore feelings are just immature .. you have every right to change your mind and the fact he ad no compassion for your situation after you tried to explain it. Just shows a immaturity on his part !!

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 1:51pm 
Supah Stah

harddriver wrote:

I agree.

It’s not like you set up a firm deal with a meeting time/place, etc. I think you got lucky. The buyer seems unstable. Imagine if they got buyers remorse? They would be showing up at your doorstep.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 2:13pm 
Supah Stah

I've been on both sides of that situation before. Great to have to not part with the guitar but I've also been the motivated person that is staying in touch, driving an hour or so to meet the person, etc. so I can see both.

If it were me, I'd apologize once again for what happened and would offer to pay for the gas it cost for the guy to drive there. That is just how I roll but definitely not necessary. If you reach out and the guy is still being a dick though, screw him.

"I read all this and think my water just broke." - steve_k, RT legend, R.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 2:34pm 
Supah Stah

He never agreed to meet with the guy. There was no time and day set up.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 2:51pm 
Rock God

Agree with most, if you change your mind it's your prerogative. Just apologize and move on. I've had that happen and it's a bummer but as a gear head, I also understand.

1972 JMP Super Tremolo 1959T
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1988 Jackson Soloist
1984 Greco JS65 Sykes LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 3:14pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I can see the guy might get upset thinking that it was just a matter of the appropriate time to make a transaction but as long as you didn't make him jump through hoops like traveling to pick it up or sending money then you got every right not go through with a transaction. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 4:26pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

He sent you a pic of cash? ... 😂

Snowflake...can't handle life.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 4:52pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I wouldn't have bothered with giving excuses and explaining why you couldn't meet him. When I was selling stuff locally I would say upfront here are the times and days that I can show you the item I have for sale are here is the place we will meet to do the transaction. If they freaked out over that I moved on.

That being said, I think you dodged a bullet with this one.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 5:17pm 
Rock God

Just tell him you decided not to sell it but a few hundred more might change your mind :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 5:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Let me get this straight: This is just some rando that saw your ad and communicated with you on FaceBook? You then changed your mind about selling and he got mad and flounced out of the room and then when you tried to explain and apologize he blocked you like an angry teen girl?? Ha! Drink a beer and post a video playing your much loved guitar in your new house. Fuck that dick!

• ESP: Alexi Scythe CS
    - Duncan: Nazgûl

• Peters: Body Hammer
  • VHT: FB-412 P50E

• MXR: Q-Zone
  • Maxon: OD808
  • Fortin: Zuul
  • TC Elec: Quintessence
  • Empress: ParaEq
  • Maxon: AD9Pro
  • RJM: Effect Gizmo
  • GigRig: Humdinger

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 7:37pm 
Supah Stah

Oblivion DC wrote:
Let me get this straight: This is just some rando that saw your ad and communicated with you on FaceBook? You then changed your mind about selling and he got mad and flounced out of the room and then when you tried to explain and apologize he blocked you like an angry teen girl?? Ha! Drink a beer and post a video playing your much loved guitar in your new house. Fuck that dick!

Don't listen to Oblivion DC. I used to live in the Northern Virginia, D.C. area and his post is being fueled by traffic and high housing costs....

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 8:22pm 
Supah Stah

Oblivion DC wrote:

This ! FUCK THAT GUY !!!

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 10:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

screw him, shit happens

Taylor 814
Tracy amps AC1 50 watter (my brand)
Diezel VH4
Bogner 3534
Soldano SLO
Diezel 4x12
Marshall 2-4x12
sour mash vertical 2x12
EVH 15 watt lunchbox
Fractal FX8 x 2

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 10:44pm 
Supah Stah

It's your guitar. He sounds like a bitch.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 8:15am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

bottom line: you never told him to come get it. He took the chance, sucks it didn't work out for him.

The fault and any freakiness that ensued afterwards was all on him.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 9:26am 
Supah Stah

harddriver wrote:

Yeah I smelled a rat too. Seemed strange the buyer was so eager and keen to come and pay you, even when you hadn't actually said "Oi come with cash NAO or you snooze you lose". He might have just been washing some dirty money and then go pawn the guitar for double the price. Who knows?

I don't think you didn't anything bad in this case. It reminds me of advertising online for subtenants. You get all sorts of abusive rubbish out there. One would message me all vague, another would arrive promptly and after checking their references would offer the room to them, then the first one would message that they were driving and I'd say "the room's taken". I'd cop a heap of abuse because they said they were already on their way, even though I never actually agreed for a time for them to visit, I just said "Yes the room is available" as was true at the time. Seems similar to your case- the guitar was available at the time, the buyer got too keen, then in the meantime your circumstances changed so you closed the sale but they went all mad at you.

My philosophy is to ONLY sell something when you absolutely despise it. You play it and play it and play it and every time you try to like it, you just want to smash it up and set it on fire. THAT is when you sell it. Oh and I learned the hard way- sold a great little practice amp to raise money to buy a crappy modelling amp. Bad move.

If you're short on cash, only sell what you can buy back again easily. If it is sentimental/irreplaceable, then try to find another way to get the money. Anyway I'm glad your house situation worked out,

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 9:29am 
Supah Stah

I just read your original post again and must have read thru it too fast the first time. I missed some of the parts about what a jerk he was being about it with the FB block, etc (my ADD kicking in. LOL) . I agree with everyone else that this guy sounds like a moron, especially if he wasn't willing to discuss anything.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 12:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

You told him you probably couldn't meet up, and the guy just shows up in town anyway and wants to come get it? Sorry, I would have blocked him with no explanation and not looked back... :lol: :LOL: Boundaries, people. Boundaries.

And let's be real, for every local guy that shows up, there's usually 10 that claim they're coming and disappear. I've made a 5 hour trip to have a guy "offer" me hundreds less than we agreed on, waited for hours on a Saturday for a guy that emailed every 30 minutes saying he's "almost there" and never show up, and held items for weeks for local guys whose next paycheck apparently never came.

You owed the guy nothing. Forgot him and move on... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 12:51pm 
Supah Stah

The great news is, you got to keep a guitar you love and have a new house! All is well that ends well!

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 1:11pm 
Rock God Trainee

A deal is not done until it’s done
Frustrating for the buyer but the extreme reaction is disturbing

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 1:36pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

One of my rules of thumb is, Anyone who sends you a picture of cash saying they're ready to buy now is usually a scumbag and is to be avoided at all costs. IMO, nothing makes you look more shady than flaunting money and acting like I'm in dire straits and need your dough.

Secondly, This whole deal is 100% his fault. You told him you couldn't meet Saturday. He shows up in the area trying to be a pushy buyer and make the deal happen, and you tell him it's still not going to happen. Nothing about that falls back on you. The guy just sounds like a pushy dipshit. I also believe you dodged a bullet there.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 5:22pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

romanianreaper wrote:
Oblivion DC wrote:

Don't listen to Oblivion DC. I used to live in the Northern Virginia, D.C. area and his post is being fueled by traffic and high housing costs....

And the flu. Don't forget to mention that I have the flu!! But still... fuck that guy!

• ESP: Alexi Scythe CS
    - Duncan: Nazgûl

• Peters: Body Hammer
  • VHT: FB-412 P50E

• MXR: Q-Zone
  • Maxon: OD808
  • Fortin: Zuul
  • TC Elec: Quintessence
  • Empress: ParaEq
  • Maxon: AD9Pro
  • RJM: Effect Gizmo
  • GigRig: Humdinger

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21, 2019 5:40pm 
Supah Stah

Oblivion DC wrote:
romanianreaper wrote:
Oblivion DC wrote:

And the flu. Don't forget to mention that I have the flu!! But still... fuck that guy!

Oh crap!!! :D Yeah, I was there four years and I swear it aged me. LOL! I really like that area and have friends and family there but everytime someone tells me "oh, there was traffic", I'm like get the hell out of here with that crap. You don't know what traffic is until you are in D.C. and moving backwards.