Age old question, sell or keep vintage gear?

Sell or Keep?

• Total voters
Would personally sell before the trend declines if it had little use to me. I sold a 59' MM for $4.5k during peak covid sales, and doubt I could get half that now. If it's something that you're on the fence about, post it for top dollar. If it sells, great. If not you still have something you're inclined to use once in a while until it comes back into fashion.

This is how I've old a number of things over the years. I'll toss them up for some price that's high enough that I'm happy if they move, and if they don't, no big deal. I sold several guitars that way. I have more than I need, and could use a bit of space, but I'm not all that desperate for cash, so until someone wants to pay my price, I just leave them in a case in a spare room at home.

There are a few amps I really regret selling. There's no getting them back, just remember that.

I only have one of those, but the regret is real. It was my old Marshall 2203. It's not all that rare. I can get another anytime, but really I just want the one I played for years back. It's purely a nostalgia thing for that specific amp. It's why I won't sell a couple of my old guitars too. They got retired from going out of the house years back, but they hold a lot of memories for me, so they can be sold when I'm gone, but not before.

I think we will see the market continue to come down, but in general not a great time to sell, people are holding tight to their money. Usually in the spring is a better time to sell. So if you do sell, be patient, or drop the price.

If the item is worth more on the market than it is to you, then sell. If not, then keep.

I think we will see the market continue to come down, but in general not a great time to sell, people are holding tight to their money. Usually in the spring is a better time to sell. So if you do sell, be patient, or drop the price.

If the item is worth more on the market than it is to you, then sell. If not, then keep.

To add to it right now isn’t a great time to sell because tax season is coming up soon, as are the holidays with travel costs and gift costs, all of which cause people not to want to spend $$$$ this close to the holidays and just after.

The best time to offload is in the spring and summer after tax season has passed.

Back