Anybody ever build a Marshall clone?

I built my version of a JTM45/100 with two KT88s instead of four KT66'S.

Stupidly sold it:

Fusionbear _Cinead_2 2020-03-06 ~2.png

Fusionbear _Cinead_ 2020-03-06~2.png

It was amazing. Probably the best one I ever built...

I also built my version of a 2203 with two KT88s.

20230109_195710~2.jpg

This one will be buried with me:

Here is a older live clip of it:

yup ....
built my 2204 clone .... then modded it into a JEL per Headirst spec .
didn't use a kit ..... picked all my own parts ... then found out headshells were almost 400 .... fuck that shit .... built my own after I took the dims off of a buddy's mid 80's 2203
1711490542868.jpeg

1711490570450.jpeg

1711490628224.jpeg

Last edited:
I've built around 10. Getting better at it each time but still have a long way to go. Doing another 2204 right now actually and just ordered the PT today. Jason's boards are easy to work with but they expect you to have some basic knowledge on building. However I have seen people build a Cali or a Wizard clone for their first build and everything turn out great.

Word of caution it's addictive af. It is a cool feeling to play an amp you've built yourself. I'm seriously considering selling my remaining amp and just use ones I built myself.

I've built around 10. Getting better at it each time but still have a long way to go. Doing another 2204 right now actually and just ordered the PT today. Jason's boards are easy to work with but they expect you to have some basic knowledge on building. However I have seen people build a Cali or a Wizard clone for their first build and everything turn out great.

Word of caution it's addictive af. It is a cool feeling to play an amp you've built yourself. I'm seriously considering selling my remaining amp and just use ones I built myself.

Does anyone sell a Cali or Wizard clone kit? I’ve had the itch to try my hand at a build for a while. The Rosamp SLO kits look cool.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering selling my remaining amp and just use ones I built myself
I built that Super Lead clone, a Hiwatt DR103 clone, Super Reverb clone, Brown Deluxe clone, Tweed Bassman clone, Trainwreck Rocket clone, Matchless Lightning clone, 100W Jose clone, 50W Jose clone, as well as a Dumble HRM experiment and my latest 18W Trainwreck Liverpool clone. Both of those Jose’s started as stock Marshall builds.

And I’ve built/sold a Trainwreck Express clone, a SLO clone, and a dumbed-down Bogner Ecstasy clone that I gigged with for years. At some point you have to sell something! But the only non homebrew amps I have left are an ‘80 50W Marshall JCM800 and a ‘70 Super PA. And I’ll be selling the Super PA just cuz my amp above covers that.

EDIT: oh yeah, my BF Bassman. But that’s the amp that started this whole journey, so I’ll likely die with that one.

What’s crazy is my next amp will probably a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. Pretty much THE ‘beginner’ amp build. :ROFLMAO:

Are the Mojotone kits good? What are some if the better kit’s available? Anybody build or try one of the Rosamp SLO kits?

I built that Super Lead clone, a Hiwatt DR103 clone, Super Reverb clone, Brown Deluxe clone, Tweed Bassman clone, Trainwreck Rocket clone, Matchless Lightning clone, 100W Jose clone, 50W Jose clone, as well as a Dumble HRM experiment and my latest 18W Trainwreck Liverpool clone. Both of those Jose’s started as stock Marshall builds.

And I’ve built/sold a Trainwreck Express clone, a SLO clone, and a dumbed-down Bogner Ecstasy clone that I gigged with for years. At some point you have to sell something! But the only non homebrew amps I have left are an ‘80 50W Marshall JCM800 and a ‘70 Super PA. And I’ll be selling the Super PA just cuz my amp above covers that.

EDIT: oh yeah, my BF Bassman. But that’s the amp that started this whole journey, so I’ll likely die with that one.

What’s crazy is my next amp will probably a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. Pretty much THE ‘beginner’ amp build. :ROFLMAO:
Need details on the dumbed down XTC. I have a 101B, but would love to do a blue channel in a 50w small box headshell…

Does anyone sell a Cali or Wizard clone kit? I’ve had the itch to try my hand at a build for a while. The Rosamp SLO kits look cool.

Headfirst/EvolveDIY
No full kits, just boards. You'll have to source the parts yourself, but Jason provides a BoM, schematic, and layout.
The "Merlin" boards are Wizard equivalents. I want to do one of these eventually.

https://evolvediy.com/?post_type=product

My 5 watt ClassA Ampmaker N5X is in the Marshall camp, though It's not a true clone. It's unfortunate that he went out of business a few month back.

I'll be attempting the Hilbish Matamp GT120 clone soonish. If that one is successful I want to try a Modulus Marshbar kit. I like that it has a resonance control. Most Marshall style kits don't.

https://modulusamplification.com/th...-ultimate-hot-rodded-plexi-amp-kit-9234-p.asp

Did build two TAD clone kits so far. My suggestion is, start with a kit. Less hassle and you have all the parts you need. There are step by step instructions by stew mac for their jtm45 build that include a safe fist fire-up, so you get a pretty good idea how to start.
Don`t hassle, take your time. Consider the building process as "fun".

Back