Everyone’s favorite high gain Brit amp?

My bad , I like 2 channels and amps with a gain boost, so far I’m looking at a 3rd kitchen sink or a wizard modern classic can’t decide so good both of them
Another one is a suhr pt100 but I’ve never tried any of those amps , only friedmans and Marshall’s no other boutique or small company

Tell me

is it a really mean one channel amp ? I found one locally looks cool but never heard of them
So here is the list of what I’ve had, granted I’ve never owned a Friedman or wizard I have gotten to play a few Friedman’s

Marshall jcm 800 2204 modded
Marshall jcm 800 2210
Marshall superlead modded my splawn
Splawn QuickRod 3 preamp tube model
Splawn quickrod 4 preamp tube model
Splawn nitro
Marshall jcm 900 2100
Marshall jcm 900 slx.

Every amp in that list was great. The splawn stuff amazing really but the Ceriatone was the best fit for me. From what I understand it’s Nik’s take on a Jose style plexi. It does the hot rodded Marshall thing perfectly for me. If it’s a good buy I would grab it. Their quality is awesome.

Find a Friedman-modded Marshall, if you can. My 1990 Marshall 1987 Friedman “Kitchen Sink” modded is the best modded Marshall I’ve ever played.

Set the gain around 3:00 on the BE channel and you’ve got “that sound” you’ve always had in your head. The HBE just adds more of everything (protip: knock the gain back two notches), and of course you still have the SAT for more saturation and compression. The C45 takes you into JCM 800 sounds and the FAT is great for Strats and Teles. Impossible to make it sound bad, a ton of options, and it sounds great alone, in a mix, or recorded.

Unfortunately they’re very hard to find these days. Most owners do not want to part with them. I’ve only seen two for sale in the last 18 months and I bought them both instantly.

the tools at the store in Raleigh wouldnt let me play it. but they played it for me...

Germino.

Best Marshall raw I've ever heard.

I can't afford that shit. I've got 3 axe FX I've got to feed

the tools at the store in Raleigh wouldnt let me play it. but they played it for me...

Germino.

Best Marshall raw I've ever heard.

I can't afford that shit. I've got 3 axe FX I've got to feed
What store in Raleigh carry's them?

I was just about to ask if Splawn or Germino have amps on site to try. Being in NC, could easily test out those.

The best I’ve owned:

Friedman BE-100, like Fret Shredder mentioned. Mine is ‘18, 4 switch. Ooh La La. :dunno:

Splawn Quick Rod. Had a bunch. All great. I think I liked the 3-pre version the most, but I wouldn’t get hung up on the differences.

Cameron Aldrich mod. Great sounding and fun to play, but not remotely worth the prices they command.

If you’re cool with rack gear, I’d recommend a Rivera TBR-1SL. Maybe the best channel switcher (British crunch, American cleans) ever.

Sleeper of the bunch is a Top Hat Emplexador. Goes from JTM45 to 2204 tones. Not high gain, but hit it with a TS-9 or an SD-1 and you’re in business. Only amp I ever owned that just begged for Slayer riffs. Go figure.

I'm gonna second the top hat emplexador

That is an incredibly good sounding brit high gain amp. Not super expensive used, either

Fat Cat is in Wilson so that makes sense.

There is only like 2 shops left in Raleigh that aren't Sam Ash or Guitar Center. Wilson is not far, but don't seem to carry them anymore.

thx.
If you ever get around the Charlotte area Splawn is located outside of Charlotte about 30 minutes or so in Dallas. Scott is a great guy and I’ve been to the shop a few times.

Find a Friedman-modded Marshall, if you can. My 1990 Marshall 1987 Friedman “Kitchen Sink” modded is the best modded Marshall I’ve ever played.

Set the gain around 3:00 on the BE channel and you’ve got “that sound” you’ve always had in your head. The HBE just adds more of everything (protip: knock the gain back two notches), and of course you still have the SAT for more saturation and compression. The C45 takes you into JCM 800 sounds and the FAT is great for Strats and Teles. Impossible to make it sound bad, a ton of options, and it sounds great alone, in a mix, or recorded.

Unfortunately they’re very hard to find these days. Most owners do not want to part with them. I’ve only seen two for sale in the last 18 months and I bought them both instantly.
Also these will dependent on the sum of all parts such as your particular amp, transformers, component drift etc. So that makes them special as well..

I'm gonna second the top hat emplexador

That is an incredibly good sounding brit high gain amp. Not super expensive used, either
I was seeing these in the $1200 to $1500 ballpark frequently pre-pandemic. Now seeing them $1800 to $2000, but with patience I'll bet one could eventually be found in the $1500 range. Had one with an effects loop and apparently that's rare. I'd pay a little extra for that.

I was seeing these in the $1200 to $1500 ballpark frequently pre-pandemic. Now seeing them $1800 to $2000, but with patience I'll bet one could eventually be found in the $1500 range. Had one with an effects loop and apparently that's rare. I'd pay a little extra for that.

Absolutely. Brian does a lot of really cool aesthetic/color options, too.

Is Marshall making Jubes in China and 800 reissues in UK or something?

What do you mean build quality?
Both are built in the UK. The 800 is built exactly like the vintage versions; which might make it more $$. The Jube is built using modern components.
For 2K you can find an original 800; or buy a new 2555x. Both are killer with a boost or 2.
If you want 2 modded Marshall tones that sound very different, grab a Monomyth anything and then a stock NMV Marshall. You’ll have your thick modern metal type amp, and then the NMV will give you THAT tone (with a boost) that most of us all grew up listening to.

Clearly the SDASMCSC100, the super deluxe atom smashing mega crushing straddle corpse 100. It’s tubes were backups on Sputnik 1. Tubes were modded by chief scientist on Sputnik and Vostok, yevgeny ‘doctor of nuclear death” rodachenko. They are infinitely powered by lethal doses of radioactive tsar bomb particles. He said, “zis iz vut ay kohl eturnall toob. It vill rone fo Eva. But, an dis a beeg but, iv yue theenk toob maybe goeeng tue blow, yu muz run for deer lyf, gude chonce amp kood goh therrmo nukleear an goh boom. (Juz tue be sav u shude get at leez, ay done no, maybee abowt turty fy milez so you no geet vaypohrise.”

Well worth the $400,000 price as the eternal tubes sound glorious. There is added control s for manipulating thermonuclear power and tone. Rumor has it the amp triples as a distress beacon as it glows in the dark, especially the eternal tubes as well as a generator, and can provide dirty power for a town of a few hundred thousand for 650 years, so it’s actually a really good deal.

Back