Everyone’s favorite high gain Brit amp?

I’ve never tried either but can the wizard modern classic be used at lower volumes I live in a house but don’t want to have to crank it lol I’m leaning towards the wizard amp seems like a extremely hard to find amp these days according to users
I had a 2010 MC100, that had a spot on the MV very low that sounded like the amp was gonna melt down. Easily at apt/late night playing levels. No idea how/why it sounded like that so low on the volume sweep but there it was.

Uneducated questions:

What's the difference in an 800 and Jubilee?

The new Jubes are much cheaper than the 800 (like over 1K). Why?
The Jubilee has a pretty different circuit to any Marshalls that came before it. Notably the use of a diode clipping stage and a very different tone stack. I’m assuming the new ones are all PCB and more cheaply manufactured than the reissue 800s.

Edit: having seen some other comments, the diode clipping isn’t really anything like having a drive pedal in there, it is literally just reducing headroom (clipping) at the back end of the preamp signal path. You’d probably never know there are diodes in there from sound alone. The tone stack is the thing that makes the Jubilee sound markedly different to other Marshalls since it changes the EQ points of the Treble, Mid and Bass controls as well as their sensitivity and how they interact. The Jubilee tone stack is different enough from the standard post-JTM stack 99% of Marshalls have that you cannot make match the EQ to an 800 (unlike many amps where you can adjust by ear and often get very close to one another).

Last edited:
I personally think the Laney GH series amps are some of the most underrated and best value British high gain amps out there. Thicker/creamier than your average Marshall-type with loads of gain and amazing for leads especially. Racer X’s Superheroes album is a good reference point for their sound.

I
I personally think the Laney GH series amps are some of the most underrated and best value British high gain amps out there. Thicker/creamier than your average Marshall-type with loads of gain and amazing for leads especially. Racer X’s Superheroes album is a good reference point for their sound.
I did play and it’s really cheap and made in uk lol tons of gain but doesn’t cut through

I

I did play and it’s really cheap and made in uk lol tons of gain but doesn’t cut through
I’m not a fan of the L series, but I’m a huge proponent of the TI and S (first year TI) series.

They’re basically a hotrodded JCM800 2203 right out of the gate.

I'll say Bogner Helios
The ecstasy is also sweet.
The Helios is more raw like a modded plexi.

Agreed! Love both amps but the Helios has probably my favorite gain channel of all time.

The Suhr PT series should also be a contender. I've had both the PT-100 and the PT-15; both are incredible sounding, very versatile amps. I still have the PT-15 and use it as my main gigging amp.

And, as previously mentioned, one can never go wrong with a Landry!

Last edited:
Back