How are all your amps set up?

Stacked across three 212s. Behind a KHE amp/cab switcher. Every cab wired in stereo so I can mix-and-match speakers across all the cabs.

1791085646132.png

(not pictured is my Mesa Mark III++ which is in the shop)
 
Various Morris heads on a couple 4x12 cabs. One with original 78’ blackbacks and EVH in an X pattern. The other with current UK greenbacks. I’m set.
 
For sure, ideally i'd have both though :ROFLMAO:
I could really give two shakes about gear beyond having some quality stuff to get the job done. Beyond that it's nothing but a money pit, maintenance, and taking up space. My "stuff" days mostly died out in my mid 30's and the past few years have only pushed me to cut back further to the bare minimums. It's meaningless junk.
 
I could really give two shakes about gear beyond having some quality stuff to get the job done. Beyond that it's nothing but a money pit, maintenance, and taking up space. My "stuff" days mostly died out in my mid 30's and the past few years have only pushed me to cut back further to the bare minimums. It's meaningless junk.

Yeah if that's why I wanted it i'd feel the same way, but having access to at least a handful of different tones would be anything but meaningless to me and my recording shit - I have no amp capable of a good glassy clean tone, no amp with chime, etc. I have the marshally tones fine with my gigging amp but everything I do right now is being stitched together with a kemper 🤷‍♂️

Luckily I still have a few nice cabinets but that's more because they are a bitch to sell and ship
 
Yeah if that's why I wanted it i'd feel the same way, but having access to at least a handful of different tones would be anything but meaningless to me and my recording shit - I have no amp capable of a good glassy clean tone, no amp with chime, etc. I have the marshally tones fine with my gigging amp but everything I do right now is being stitched together with a kemper 🤷‍♂️

Luckily I still have a few nice cabinets but that's more because they are a bitch to sell and ship
Someone made a top 5 amp thread recently. I was looking around in there and realized I've only owned six amps my entire life and I don't really consider a ss Fender 85 or an Esteban G10 legitimate amps so I didn't post up, LOL. Really I've only had 4 good amps my whole life. I still feel spoiled though since they have all been pretty nice rigs.
 
Someone made a top 5 amp thread recently. I was looking around in there and realized I've only owned six amps my entire life and I don't really consider a ss Fender 85 or an Esteban G10 legitimate amps so I didn't post up, LOL. Really I've only had 4 good amps my whole life. I still feel spoiled though since they have all been pretty nice rigs.

Yeah you've gotta get to some amp fests or great stores and try out some different shit man. It's pointless for lots of RTers because they can't actually play to any real degree, and this is just a money wasting hobby, but for you, since you can actually play, different amps are going to wildly affect how people perceive your playing and your music. Especially on recording, but live too.

A good chunk of my reputation locally as a great player is simply using the right type of gear to enhance and embellish what I'm good at doing on the guitar already. It's kind of like putting on makeup for broads. If you put makeup on a pig, it looks hideous; but if you put the right kind of makeup with the right kind of lighting on a broad she can look like a literal goddess. That's why they pay models the big bucks.

It's the same thing for people who are decently proficient with the guitar. You gotta search out the right type of amp to enhance what you're good at, and the right type of effects/etc, just like a woman has to find foundation that matches her skin tone or whatever.
 
Yeah you've gotta get to some amp fests or great stores and try out some different shit man. It's pointless for lots of RTers because they can't actually play to any real degree, and this is just a money wasting hobby, but for you, since you can actually play, different amps are going to wildly affect how people perceive your playing and your music. Especially on recording, but live too.

A good chunk of my reputation locally as a great player is simply using the right type of gear to enhance and embellish what I'm good at doing on the guitar already. It's kind of like putting on makeup for broads. If you put makeup on a pig, it looks hideous; but if you put the right kind of makeup with the right kind of lighting on a broad she can look like a literal goddess. That's why they pay models the big bucks.

It's the same thing for people who are decently proficient with the guitar. You gotta search out the right type of amp to enhance what you're good at, and the right type of effects/etc, just like a woman has to find foundation that matches her skin tone or whatever.
I don't have any amp fest connections and any amps I try out I'm going to want to crank so that rules out most music shops, lol. So basically I just started with known quantities and worked from there. Strat into Marshall plus a few pedals=good sound. 335 into Twin and a decent OD=good sound. I've tried a good few different nice amps from 90's Matchless to a couple different Mesas, to Tweed Twins and RI Bassmans, to some HW brownface clones other guys had but nothing screamed "must have" to me. I did enjoy the HPTT but I still sound like me, which is annoying haha, so mostly I just focus on maximizing what I got and building more chops. A nice Twin with some JBL's or EV's and some nice pedals....if I can't get it done with that then I reckon there is something wrong with me holding up my end. All in all some variety is nice but not necessary, for me at least.
 
I've posted this a handful of times when the subject of amp shelving comes up. I built my own custom unit out of hard maple. Outside of that I have stuff on wire shelves. Note on the wire shelves; put a piece of 1/8" plywood on the shelf so the wires don't bend or dig into the amp's feet.

1791114974803.png


1791115010711.png
 
One note about the pres, that CAE came back from John recently. I had originally sent it in just for routine maintenance but after some back and forth with John he asked if he could try some things. Of course I said yes. He said he revoiced it to be what he would make for himself today after all of his experience building and designing amps since the 3+ was originally built. When he was done he said he thinks it’s one of the best sounding pres he’s ever heard and he wished he could keep it for himself. It is truly awesome. A whole new take while still sounding like it came from Suhr. I hope he releases it in an amp so other people can try it. If push came to shove I could only have that preamp and ride into the sunset totally happy. It’s really great sounding on all 3 channels and is as responsive and touch sensitive as any other amp I have.

Phil, don't want to hijack that thread but could you please describe more into details what John did on that CAE, especially how that affected each channel and how do you feel / hear the result when playing?
Asking for a friend :)
 
I was thinking of getting some amplifier cardboard cutouts made so I too can have an amp wall
 
Back
Top