Simon Dorn
Well-known member
Unlikely, but not impossible.give it time. you'll have more. again.![]()
Why would i want to have more Amps than 1?
Unlikely, but not impossible.give it time. you'll have more. again.![]()
I do the same thing, you are not alone lolI actually think I'm a pitiful human . I don't know how many amps I have --maybe 10 or 15 but I try to get every single one to sound like a vintage Marshall . With pedals and crap I'm actually really good at it but it doesn't make ONE BIT OF SENSE !!! I'm thinking I'm not the only person that does this !!!!
Stacked on a cab, shelved? All connected at once, or stored and 1-2 out at a time? I only have 5-6 but it’s getting pretty crowded in my music area. I’d love to get a switcher and get all the cables routed behind a shelf. I move everything year or 2, so it’s impossible to get it set right and leave it alone.
Mine are in an Ikea shelf right now, pic is a bit dated but still how they’re organized.
View attachment 461596
I have a Marshall amp corner in my living room where I have my 1959HW full stack, JCM 900 and JVM410 with a shared Marshall 4x12. In front of these I have an area that has one of a JTM 45, Origin 50C with extension cab, or Eng Artist edition with two Engl 2x12 cabs, or a three tier keyboard stand for synths and a line mixer when I use my old school wakeman keyboard rig.
To the left of this Marshall amp corner, I have a Crumar Mojo Suitcase organ with Hammond 30-note pedals and bench, and a Korg GrandStage X. which are part of the wakeman keyboard rig.
To the left of that I have a Yamaha Montage M8x on a rolling keyboard stand (or a Roland Fantom EX 6 that's usually in case; to make my modern rudess keyboard rig); behind M8x, I have a shelf with: a Bogner Helios Eclipse with a speaker cable to a Marshall 4x12 in the Marshall corner; a JP-2C and pair of Mesa Compact 2x12 cabs; a Diezel VHX with speaker cables to connect to the Mesa cabs. to the right of this shelf is a Marshall DSL40CR on an amp stand.
I have painters tape notes over my amp heads' inputs if they don't have speaker cabs attached to avoid accidents.
To the right of my Marshall corner is a computer desk with nearfield studio monitors, and a pair of powered 8" PA cabs I use for modelers.
To the right of my desk is a Vox Continental 61 key stage organ, with a 61 key MIDI keyboard to approximate a Super Continental, it has a dedicated Universal Audio Ruby (Vox amp simulator) and Eventide H9.
To the right of the Vox, I have a Hammond A-3 with 30 note pedals..
To the right of the A-3, I have a table with a mixer, and several semi modular synths including a Behringer 2600, Poly-D, Odyssey and modular System 55. Under the table I have a pair of powered 18" subs...above the table I have 2 sets of powered PA cabs, 2 2x10s, and 2 2x15s, with a three piece samurai sword set on a stand (katana, wakizashi, tanto) in between the left and right cabs.
Other gear is in my bedroom and my son's room. I can basically get to most things I use most often easily; things I use less often, just need a few things to be moved. Things I use less frequently are on shelves or in cases, and take a little more effort to make room to use.
I'm out of space and surrounded by gear.
After years of looking and not finding a good solution for amp shelves, a few months back I finally found a company called Tennsco out of Tennessee who makes what I think are the perfect amp shelves. They're metal, 34.5" wide by 13.5" deep, and they come in a handful of different numbers of shelves. Technically on the website they’re categorized as bookcases but whatever. They come pre-built because they're welded together, BUT they have solid backs, so I had to get a welder to cut the backs out of them and add a rubber lip around the cut so I don't gash my hands moving cables around. But after that they've been pretty much perfect. They hold about 150 lbs per shelf so no worries there, and the shelves themselves are height adjustable. Love these things.
The one kinda-sorta issue is that while the top shelf is tall enough for anything, the shelves under that are like half an inch too short for the tallest heads (specifically plexi headshells, everything else fits fine) to slide into. BUT, the shelves don't screw in, they slide down and click into slots, so you just need to jimmy the front of the shelf above where you want the plexi a half inch or so upwards, then slide the amp in or out, and click the above shelf back into place when you're done. There are a few plexi size heads in the pic so you can see it does work with them as long as you know how to do it. Or you can take any plexi sized heads you have and swap out the feet for low profile ones, like the kind ENGL uses, and that's enough to fix it. I think that's more than worth it.
![]()
tl;dr
Pics speak a 1,000 words
j/k - I read it. Great story about how you adapt as you get older too.![]()
"Perfect shelves....but"
j/k
Looks amazing. So clean. Reminds me of the GUI on lot of amp software these days
Question: How do cable things up?
I could really give two shakes about gear beyond having some quality stuff to get the job done. Beyond that it's nothing but a money pit, maintenance, and taking up space. My "stuff" days mostly died out in my mid 30's and the past few years have only pushed me to cut back further to the bare minimums. It's meaningless junk.
I’ve tried bookcases for heads, but I’m always moving stuff around, taking different amps to gigs, etc…. It was too much work.
View attachment 461754
Hey, there is still gear I want just like anyone else.Buzzkill![]()
MancaveMancave or practice space?